Polish "jokes" came from Nazi propaganda

literarypoland

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 07:47 am
@patiodog,
Well, those Internet forums. Anyone can come from anywhere to any purely American forum and write whatever is in his/her mind. Some of those foreigners are intelligence agents, no doubt, it's proven (I'm not joking). What's the law - maybe Americans are not careful enough?
American forums as American soil?
I could go to Niamey, Niger, visit an Internet cafe there and spread my gossip from Africa. That's how small the world is. Every computer has the same Internet. Few things are available as limited to the US. Some YouTube clips, and what else?
I read American papers, visit American forums, watch American videos, watch clips from Fox or ABC - all on a computer.
I know that you believe that there's a deeper layer of Americanism which no one understands. Well, if someone doesn't have a childhood in the US, those things just don't seep in.
And they are: TV cartoons, comic books, baseball, American football.
Well, that sphere is getting smaller and smaller.
Marvel comics are published in Poland. Rules of football and baseball are easy to find on the Internet. Walt Disney cartoon movies have been known here for ages. The Muppet Show was shown in Communist TV in the 1980s, and Battle of the Planets, and Planet of the Apes. However, few people had color TVs back then.
An average Pole has seen hundreds of American movies, of all kinds, our TV shows American films in a "scientific" manner. I mean, if you have just the 7 or 10 free channels, you can make a list of well-known American movies and after 3 or 4 years you will be 80% done.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 07:48 am
You need professional psychiatric help for your paranoia, Bubba.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:57 am
@literarypoland,
literarypoland wrote:

Patiodog, I'm sorry for you. This means that Americans live in isolation and don't care about the rest of the world, even its potential enemies. Like a hamster in his cage.
I understand that America as a large country occupies a large part of one's brain, just to grasp its complexity.
But to be proud that one doesn't know other cultures - well, simpletons abroad.

You forget that I am a Slovak. Feel free to berate Slovakia, too, I really don't give half a hoot.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:11 am
I've been to Slovakia twice - to get to know the country. Great robber beans, cheap books, and fast Westernization in the last decade. In 1995, you had pages in Russian inside newspapers (for whom?), then foreign investment came, the flat tax, now the Euro, introduced smoothly.
However, Polish trains still have notices in French, German and Russian, not in English (emergency brake and such).
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:37 am
@literarypoland,
indeed. polish and the poles are the greatest thing on this planet. far superior to anything and anyone else.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:03 am
It shouldn't be long before Polish superiority leads to world dominance--they'll have an empire soon!

Oh . . . that's right . . . they already had one . . . and lost it . . .
literarypoland

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:30 am
@Setanta,
Even a monkey can jump on a dead lion.
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:20 am
@literarypoland,
So your argument is reduced to referring to those who disagree with you as monkeys? Some lion . . . rather a toothless lion for the last 700 years or so . . .
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:14 pm
@Setanta,
I don't think Poland and the Polish are any LESS significant than anyone else on the planet Earth...just it is also not any MORE significant.

same soil, same humans, get over it. some are smart, some are dumb, some crack jokes, some are stuck up.... like anywhere else.
literarypoland

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:40 pm
And the one about 1000 years of friendship between the Polish and the American nation...
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:51 pm
@literarypoland,
literarypoland wrote:

And the one about 1000 years of friendship between the Polish and the American nation...

well, that's not much of a joke, since neither existed then.
literarypoland

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 01:47 pm
@dagmaraka,
Poland 1009!!! Our great king Boleslaw Chrobry!!!

Poland's GDP in comparison with Western Europe (historical data):
http://www.nobe.pl/hist-wyk4.htm

Black - Poland's GDP as % of Germany/France/England/Italy (an average as I understand)
Grey - Poland's GDP as % of Spanish GDP
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 01:51 pm
@literarypoland,
Poland, sure. Polish nation - hardly. not in 1009.... country does not equal nation.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 01:54 pm
@literarypoland,
literarypoland wrote:

Poland 1009!!! Our great king Boleslaw Chrobry!!!

Poland's GDP in comparison with Western Europe (historical data):
http://www.nobe.pl/hist-wyk4.htm

Black - Poland's GDP as % of Germany/France/England/Italy (an average as I understand)
Grey - Poland's GDP as % of Spanish GDP

what are you looking for from this thread? what reactions are you looking for? or are you just here to proselytize about poland's greatness?
literarypoland

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 01:54 pm
It's GNP per capita
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 01:57 pm
@dagmaraka,
No, look closer at the chart. We had a good start, as a fully-fledged nation from the beginning, but after 500-600 years problems started. Wars, bad neighbors.
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 02:13 pm
@literarypoland,
you may have had a fabulous start..... but you were not a NATION in 1009.

edit: and sorry, i don't give a crap about your chart and whatever it is that you're trying to spin here.
literarypoland

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 02:36 pm
@dagmaraka,
Just a sad tale.
Poland was a centralized state, everyone spoke Polish.
Centralization didn't happen without bloody inter-conquests, but by 966 it was a fact, and we adopted Catholicism.
My spin: decline is no fun, avoid it at all cost.

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 02:41 pm
@literarypoland,
i know my central european history, thank you. nations are a much younger creation than this, you're looking backwards with current frame of mind... it dont' work that way. although nationalism does go along nicely with religion...both are based on blind belief.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 02:49 pm
@dagmaraka,
I was laughing at him, Dashenka, because he was making extravagant claims, not the least of which were for the greatness of Poland and Poles. He set himself up for it.
0 Replies