H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
Could a deal be made during the convention that Biden would step aside for
the good of the party and ensure a big bounce and possible election victory?

Is this scenario even possible Question

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:43 am
@H2O MAN,
Possible? Not sure.

Gonna happen? No.

Remember, there are people who like Hillary, who are currently getting a lot of attention -- and people who DON'T like Hillary, at all. JPB is an example of a member here who is leaning Obama but would be put off if Hillary were VP. There are many others who share her thinking.

So while Hillary would gain a certain number of people if she were VP -- she'd lose some too. I think Biden nets more votes. (And that's just in terms of existing supporters -- I think Hillary-the-VP wouldn't help Obama as much as Biden will help, in terms of actually campaigning.)

First Read today:

Quote:
*** When your staff doesn’t do you any favors: All that said, who in Hillaryland thought it was a good idea to step on the best speech of her political career by giving blind quotes about a future presidential campaign? She got tremendous accolades from Team Obama, but some Clinton staffer had to spill beans about the speech's motivation to the New York Times. “Mrs. Clinton is almost certain to run for president in 2012 if Mr. Obama fails this time, several Clinton advisers said Tuesday, and any such plan could possibly founder if the Clintons’ negative feelings show through this year.” It's actually a good example of how no good deed goes unpunished by her staff, and it’s another reminder of how undisciplined her campaign would be right now had she won the Dem nomination. It's no wonder there's so little trust between the candidates when staff -- particularly hers, in this case -- undermines her unity efforts.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:51 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Possible? Not sure.

Gonna happen? No.

Remember, there are people who like Hillary, who are currently getting a lot of attention -- and people who DON'T like Hillary, at all. JPB is an example of a member here who is leaning Obama but would be put off if Hillary were VP. There are many others who share her thinking.

So while Hillary would gain a certain number of people if she were VP -- she'd lose some too. I think Biden nets more votes. (And that's just in terms of existing supporters -- I think Hillary-the-VP wouldn't help Obama as much as Biden will help, in terms of actually campaigning.)

First Read today:

Quote:
*** When your staff doesn’t do you any favors: All that said, who in Hillaryland thought it was a good idea to step on the best speech of her political career by giving blind quotes about a future presidential campaign? She got tremendous accolades from Team Obama, but some Clinton staffer had to spill beans about the speech's motivation to the New York Times. “Mrs. Clinton is almost certain to run for president in 2012 if Mr. Obama fails this time, several Clinton advisers said Tuesday, and any such plan could possibly founder if the Clintons’ negative feelings show through this year.” It's actually a good example of how no good deed goes unpunished by her staff, and it’s another reminder of how undisciplined her campaign would be right now had she won the Dem nomination. It's no wonder there's so little trust between the candidates when staff -- particularly hers, in this case -- undermines her unity efforts.

Knowing that the scenario may in fact be possible is interesting... thank you for the reply.
sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:52 am
@H2O MAN,
I'm not saying it's possible, just that I don't know one way or the other...
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:53 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I'm not saying it's possible, just that I don't know one way or the other...

Understood.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:45 pm
That's not going to happen; Joe Biden is already Obama's pick for the VP. It doesn't matter what happens at the convention now; it's already a done-deal.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's not going to happen; Joe Biden is already Obama's pick for the VP. It doesn't matter what happens at the convention now; it's already a done-deal.

Understood, but is the scenario I laid out possible?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:37 pm
It's possible, but not with Obama.
rabel22

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
True. He has already picked Biden, which may or may not have been a mistake, but if he discards Biden now for anyone he would lose many more votes than he would gain includeing my vote. I still consider Obama a person to watch carefully because of his shift to the middle. I think he or his people may watch the polls too much.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:08 pm
@rabel22,
rabel, I don't think we have to worry about the shift towards the middle for Obama. The goal now is to win the presidency to bring the "change" we desperately need after eight years of Bush. We have to also make sure that congress will be the democratic majority or we're not going to make much progress.
0 Replies