Illegal Aliens....Should Something Be Done? Can Something Be Done?

mismi

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:21 am
We had a horrible occurence in the county I live in. Five Mexicans were found murdered in an apartment they were staying in. None of them were on the lease agreement.

What were they doing and how can the authorities know who to prosecute? These men were illegal aliens and the authorities think the possible witnesses are afraid to come forward because of deportation or for fear of being murdered themselves.

We also have had Mexican Gang initiation's that were marked by shooting of cars passing by on I-65, defacement of property and occasional scuffles that make the news every so often.

Honestly, there are so many that are not registered and no one knows who they are or why they are here. The violence that is now being associated with them is making me a bit fearful.

I do not mind folks coming here to work. But I do have a problem when they feel the law does not apply to them because of their not being registered. And it is apparent that some of that is occuring. And those who are intolerant may have a hand in those that were murdered. It is so wrong on so many levels.

I know that I am not free from prejudice - though I want and try to be and try hard not to allow my own fears about what may happen control me. I want always to be compassionate and have care for others and their situations...but I find myself just wishing they weren't here because of these recent happenings.

What do you think can be done to make it right for both the illegal aliens and citizens? I would like nothing better than to live in peace here with whoever chooses to make our area their home, but I want it to be fair for all involved. Is there a solution?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,021 • Replies: 14

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 08:00 am
@mismi,
ID, anonymousness, etc. is a false dilemma. I can move anywhere I wish in this country, and call myself anything I wish, as I do have a right to anonymity. The police don't have a clue who you are either unless or until you do something wrong. That 5 humans were murdered is no reason to distrust similar looking humans either.

The best solution is to copy the European Union, and simply allow Mexicans to travel and work freely throughout the U.S. and vice-versa, providing their background checks out. This would legalize the vast majority of immigrant workers and allow authorities to crack down on the actual criminals... and the people who hire them. This solution provides both employers with the employees they need and allows poor people an opportunity to better their lot in life through work. It eliminates the rationale behind hiring illegal, while not forcing otherwise hard working people to become criminals simply for seeking work.

It's really a matter of decency if you pull the focus back to a human scale.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 08:49 am
@mismi,
Mismi,

Could you post links to this particular story, and to the story about the shooting of cars on I-65?

I would like to know the details of both.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:38 am
Did you hear about the illegal immigrant who was treated at a hospital in Chicago, and they're suing the hospital? I'm having a problem trying to reconcile their illegal status, and the hutzpah they have to sue a hospital that provided "free" care.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
Again (and I understand that details aren't important when you just want to rant)... but a link would be nice...

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:01 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5s7JRBnOE0
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well...I know that I feed off an irrational fear sometimes. I know that I have a tendency to believe much too easily what people say as well. The fact that this happened so close to my home worries me.

I don't know that the poor fellows that got killed did anything wrong or were involved in any illegal activities - other than being here without visas or greencards - or that hispanics (the more p.c. word I suppose) did it. No one knows yet. Bill says it has nothing to do with their illegal status or the fact that they are not registered. Which is more than likely true. I just wondered if there was something that would take care of the problem to both sides satisfaction.

I think I will just go about my Pollyanna ways and not worry about it. That seems to work best for me.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:04 am
@mismi,
Missy, there are bad things that do harbor themselves among the illegals, and the system makes it so. Much of the transport and housing of these folks is in an environment of drug culture. They go hand in hand at the moment...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:07 am
Damn, how blessed we are that five people got killed while in their house and gave such a splendid opportunity to rant about immigration!

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
Oh... this is the story Lou Dobbs is currently foaming at the mouth about.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:08 am
@mismi,
Thay shoud all be deported, and some of them are deported,
but as we all know, thay turn around as soon as we
let them go in Mexico, and come back again.

Accordingly, we need to do SOMETHING to them
to dissuade them from returning; something that thay don 't like; something
that will not entail keeping them here long, since we wish to get rid of them.
I don 't know what.
Killing them seems a bit drastic
(tho I think snipers with automatic weapons defending a border wall woud be effective).

As to those who have already succeeded in penetrating our defenses,
we coud whip them, but emotionally, I don 't like that idea as to females.

Still we need to come up with some idea
to do SOMETHING to them that will be sufficiently dissuasive
to keep them from returning again.

I remember about 50 some odd years ago,
I had an uncle whose wife had relatives living in Mexico City.
He liked the dollar to peso ratio and was very wealthy in Mexican pesos;
lived like a king with servants in magestic real estate.
He was a banker and wished to work in Mexico 's banking industry.
The Mexican government did not let an American work in Mexico,
unless he legally resided there for quite a long time,
and until he satisfied a lot of Mexican red tape.

David
ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David.

How do you think we should treat people who illegally own firearms?

((Killing them seems a bit drastic too))
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:06 pm
@ebrown p,
Hospitals are deporting illegal immigrants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/us/03deport.html?hp=&pagewanted=all
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:24 pm
@ebrown p,
Well, my reading of the Supreme Law of the Land,
in its 2nd Amendment, leads me to see that government has been deprived
of any jurisdiction to legislate concerning ownership of guns by any American citizen.
The USSC has repeatedly pointed out that unconstitutional statutes are void.
Therefore, your question includes an oxymoron as a premise;
i.e., it is impossible for an American citizen to own firearms "illegally."

The implication included within your rhetoric
has not escaped my cognition, but I thawt (thought)
that I shoud address the logic of your question as written, anyway.

David
Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmsigDavi
Is USA a land that belongs to the natives?
What is legal in USA?
Immigrants? who ?
Spread the air with smile and show not the dirty flag.
Dreams still exist to distract the innocents to cross the border and pick your potatoes for a few pittance.
0 Replies