Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 5,064 • Replies: 52

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:03 am
@oralloy,
So, now what?
Stormwatch

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:04 am
@oralloy,
I don't know if anything will be done about this but I'm glad it is being exposed. Rules are rules and if everyone else has to follow them then China should too. You can bet if America tried a stunt like that the officials would be all over it. I hope they do take the gold away from China. I'd feel bad for the girl but she can at least compete again in 2012, where some that she edged out can't. I hate cheats. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:16 am
It's frustrating to me because they've groomed this girl since probably age 3 to be an olympic gold medalist. She doesn't know any different. She probably knows deep inside it's wrong but the drive to be the worlds best is so strong in her, that little voice telling her it's wrong is drowned out. And the adults who did this to her should feel shame. Course, they don't but I am glad too that at least now it's out there.
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:22 am
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jLDvbCUdGai53RQap5ZKXJHfe_6Q
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:42 am
There's been some phenomenal performances in this games, but it's still been the fake Olympics. China isn't fooling anyone, but with the money to be made there, noone is going to complain.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 09:41 am
@Bella Dea,
"Bella Dea" wrote:
So, now what?

Well, if the governing bodies do the right thing, her scores will be struck from the team competition totals, moving China's team from first to last place, and all the Chinese team gold medals (for the women's team) will be seized and given to the American gymnast team.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:13 pm
@Bella Dea,
I agree; they're teaching this little girl that it's okay to cheat to win at anything.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:17 pm
What's the age limit on divers? I swear a couple of those Chinese girls looked to be about twelve years old. Thirteen tops.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:54 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

It's frustrating to me because they've groomed this girl since probably age 3 to be an olympic gold medalist. She doesn't know any different. She probably knows deep inside it's wrong but the drive to be the worlds best is so strong in her, that little voice telling her it's wrong is drowned out. And the adults who did this to her should feel shame. Course, they don't but I am glad too that at least now it's out there.

Actually, Bella, I doubt she has any idea that this is wrong. Her environment is that different from ours.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:28 pm
@eoe,
The minimum age is 16.
NickFun

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:11 pm
@ehBeth,
If an athlete is found to be underaged then she should be forced to give back her medal -- same as for athletes who test positive for doping.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:12 pm
@NickFun,
I definitely agree with that.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:13 pm
My older bro made a good point yesterday - that it's not only the other teams who are being screwed, the older Chinese gymnasts ALSO did, when they get passed over for next years' crop.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:16 pm
@ehBeth,
That's what will happen. The medals will be taken back.

I just finished reading an article about this. The Chinese officials are saying that smallness is an ethnic thing.

I saw the girls competing. Shawn Johnson is small, but it can't surprise anyone that she's sixteen. A female's body changes when she reaches puberty. Some of the Chinese girls don't have waists! Their bodies have the shape of children's bodies. IMO it's not just a matter of size.
Wilso

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:21 pm
@Roberta,
We know what should happen, but it ain't gonna.
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jLDvbCUdGai53RQap5ZKXJHfe_6Q
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:22 pm
@Wilso,
I agree, it probably won't happen.

Ethnic thing, my ass. Jeez

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:34 pm
I looked at their facial structure. Their foreheads, cheeks and chins were of pre-teens. Much too child-like to pass for sixteen years old.
After determining that one child wasn't cute enough to perform in the opening ceremonies, there's not much I'd put pass the CCOG in their quest for perfection.
Wilso

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:16 pm
@eoe,
The Chinese are liars and cheats. They're not fooling anyone, but nobody is going to upset them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:21 pm
@Wilso,
Come on, Wilso, the Chinese are not all liars and cheats, just like not all Aussies are - or any other group.