BBB gets the message

aidan

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:45 pm
@Sglass,
BBB- I want you to know that I do and have read most of the articles that you post. In fact I got to the point that when I'd see a new topic you'd started, I'd know that it'd probably be something I'd be interested in reading, and it almost always was. I didn't always comment - a lot of times I did - but not always - but I almost always read the piece in its entirety. Politically - I think we share a lot of the same feelings and socially and culturally seem to be interested in a lot of the same issues.

I have no idea what a tag is - much less how to do it. I don't even know how to tell if I or anyone else has gotten thumbs up really - I guess I'm starting to figure out that if a number is higher than one - it means thumbs were up at some point and if it's lower some thumbs were down...is that even correct?

I guess I'd just keep doing your thing the way you want to do it and know that some people appreciate it. I haven't given anyone any thumbs up or thumbs down - I have to grade enough **** in school - I aint grading anything or anyone here..I just like letting people be who they wanna be without anyone worrying about me passing my judgement on what they choose to talk about or how they choose to talk about it. Honestly, I wouldn't even judge or assign a 'grade' to someone's original writing on this forum - I don't think people come here for that- it's too individual and all about subjective perspective and perception.

I guess what I'm saying is:
1) I'll miss your articles if you don't post them. In many cases, they were/are exactly what I value about a2k - new information I wouldn't have seen or been aware of otherwise
2) Don't feel stupid and/or too old because you don't understand - I don't either and I know I'm not stupid or old...
3) I'm sorry about your son and I wish him improved health and happiness and you, as his mother, peace as you deal with his health issues in the coming months.

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:22 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks, Robert!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:17 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB, believe me you will get used to the new site...it just takes a bit of time.

Nice to know you are still reading along, and I assume you will dip your toes in the water more and more as time goes on.

Very sorry to hear about your son.

Just keep coming back and having a little fiddle, eh?

You've mastered way more difficult stuff than this!

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
I agree with aidan. Im certainly not gonna rate posts ,THATS NOT THE PURPOSE OF IDEA EXCHANGE ANYWAY. Majorities have often been mere examples of crowd speak and just because there are a number of people who agree with me or not, is of no real interest anyway.

I too have no idea what a tag, or a collapsing thread is. In chemistry we talk about collapsing double layers and such. I hate how a perfectly good language can be riddled with adaptive phrases that muck up the language.
"Collapse" 3: (v) To cause the physical breakdown of something. AI "To Collapse" is the meaning forwarded herein. What I believe it actually means is to "KILL" a thread. no?

Ive found that, with the new A2K, Im able to spend more time away from the board because I dont have it down as to how to aimlessly "browse" through posts. I beleieve , that, in the new system, you have to have some idea where you are going even before you go there. That takes away the delightful surprises afforded by landing on a thread that was engaging and interesting and yet, one with which you were totally unaware of its existence beforehand. That ability is gone it seems.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:14 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman,
"Collapse" on A2K merely remains to remove a thread from your own view. This allows people to zip through a list of threads faster. It does NOT kill the thread. The thread still exists.

Anyway, to help you in navigation, here is a post about a new science education controversy in California:
http://able2know.org/topic/50511-861#post-3368120
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:21 am
@aidan,
I finally found the path to post topics under the old categories. It took me several attempts over a period of an hour, but I did find my way. Now I only have to discover a hundred more things. I also posted a couple of articles that I found interesting to me.

I have a question: I tried to find a tag for Afghanistan but didn't find anything on the A2K list, so I had to put it in International News. Can someone add Afghanistan to the list?
nimh

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I too have no idea what a tag, or a collapsing thread is. In chemistry we talk about collapsing double layers and such. I hate how a perfectly good language can be riddled with adaptive phrases that muck up the language.
"Collapse" 3: (v) To cause the physical breakdown of something. AI "To Collapse" is the meaning forwarded herein. What I believe it actually means is to "KILL" a thread. no?

No, it just mostly removes it from your sight. If you thumb down a thread, it will disappear for you except for a line in tiny font saying "Topic voted down (view)". Click "view" and there it is again.

Same effect if you thumb down an individual post. It will almost disappear, but still show up as that one line in a small font. Same effect if you go to someone's profile and click the "Ignore user" button. From then on, any thread or post by that person will show up only as a small line saying "User ignored (view)".

Meanwhile, other people will still see those threads or posts. You havent killed it.

farmerman wrote:
Ive found that, with the new A2K, Im able to spend more time away from the board because I dont have it down as to how to aimlessly "browse" through posts. I beleieve , that, in the new system, you have to have some idea where you are going even before you go there. That takes away the delightful surprises afforded by landing on a thread that was engaging and interesting and yet, one with which you were totally unaware of its existence beforehand. That ability is gone it seems.

Nah. If you want the old "New posts" page, where you could just see whatever threads were last posted to, or if you want a page that shows all the newest topics that have been started, about any subject, it's easy.

On the homepage, you have the topic listing, right? Underneath the "able2know - all topics" header there is a light blue bar. There, you can choose to see only the threads that were started today, this week, this month, etc. Still in the same bar, on the right, is a drop-down menu that says "Sort by". If it's sorted by "Most votes" you will see the most popular topics. But if you set it to "New posts", then presto, the listing will simply show you whatever threads have been posted to last, regardless of topic or popularity. Just like the "new posts" page on the old site. If you set it to "New topics", you will see the last threads that were started, regardless of topic or popularity. There's more options too.

And the good thing - you only need to choose your preference once, and from then on that will be your new default for that page. Though you can just as easily switch it back again of course.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:47 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I have a question: I tried to find a tag for Afghanistan but didn't find anything on the A2K list, so I had to put it in International News. Can someone add Afghanistan to the list?

Hi BBB, you can tag a thread anything you want. It doesnt need to already be in a list. In fact, it's good to use tags that describe the subject of a thread well, even if they are not (yet) in the list of "Popular tags" on the homepage!

For example, if you have a thread about Afghanistan and you add Afghanistan as a tag, then:

• "Afghanistan" will show up in your "My Tags" box, on your profile. That box shows the tags you have personally added. (Unless you add lots and lots and lots of different tags, then it will only show the ones you used most, but I dont think that's going to apply *smiles*.) So that means that from then on, if you want to see all the threads you've ever tagged as "Afghanistan", you can go to your profile, click on "Afghanistan" in the "My tags" box, and you'll get a list of them.

• If enough people use the tag "Afghanistan", it will start showing up on the list of "Popular tags" on the home page.

• Meanwhile, it will already start showing up earlier on some other listings. For example, one of the tags listed on the homepage in the "Popular tags" box is "human rights" (it's near the bottom). Click it and you'll get a list of all the threads that have been tagged "human rights" so far. And on the left, you'll get a box saying "Related tags"; and one of them is "Afghanistan". So far, only four threads have been tagged "Afghanistan", so by all means, use it whenever you have a good thread about the country!
Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:34 pm
@nimh,
In addition to what nimh said, I'd like to point out a particularly neat feature that Craven and Nick have implemented: they have assigned web page addresses to the A2K tags. Hence, if the tag you want isn't popular enough to show up in the relevant lists, you can still access it directly through your internet browser. Here's Afghanistan, for example:

http://able2know.org/tag/afghanistan/

To find pages for other, less popular tags, you can just take the address above, replace "afghanistan" with whatever keyword you're looking for, and enter it into your browser's address window. It works quite nicely for me.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:56 pm
@Thomas,
Cool, Thomas.
In fact I think I'm going to put link on my desk top so I remember it. It's simple enough, but I might forget.
devriesj

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:20 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks, Thomas! That's really quite helpful! Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

There is no perfectly good language being mucked up. "Collapse" has several meanings and you just chose the wrong one.

Collapse
intransitive verb
6: to fold down into a more compact shape <a chair that collapses>

That is pretty much the usage here. Instead of seeing the the thread title and all of the standard intro details you just see a placeholder indicating that a collapsed thread exsists there along with a link to click to expand it again if you want o view it.

And all of that action only affects your view. Your actions don't cause a thread to collapse for anyone else.
Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
@fishin,
BBB

None of the participants in this forum got so many negative judgment as is the case with me.
If you are non-conformist and too critical you are not with us.
Either you identify with US or hit the road. that is not the culted, civilized observation.
Am i speak Able2 know language now?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 04:00 pm
@Thomas,
Thank you Thomas
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 04:13 pm
@ossobuco,
quoting myself - Cool, Thomas.
In fact I think I'm going to put link on my desk top so I remember it. It's simple enough, but I might forget.
First of all, it didn't work putting the link on my desktop, I had to put it on one of my mac 'stickies'.

Then, using your afghanistan model, Thomas, these didn't work -
able2know.org/tag/travel_diary
able2know.org/tag/travelogue
(two tags I'm aware of).

Well, this isn't the thread to talk about it. Just responding re results on that so far.
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 04:19 pm
@ossobuco,
This worked for me, osso:

http://able2know.org/tag/travelogue/

I think you might need to keep that last backslash

Definitely need the "http://" at the beginning
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 04:33 pm
@ossobuco,
1 more comment only, since this is a thread tangent -

I looked under the standard tags and found 'travel'; clicked on it and got a general travel page. On the left of that page were related tags, including travelogue, etc. And that worked. (same thing I typed, weird)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:17 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
"BumbleBeeBoogie" wrote:
I've been struggling to try to understand how the new A2K works because I'm not a techie and don't understand some of it, apparently without success. My few new posts have been receiving thumbs down. I seem to annoy so many people with my posting style as expressed here. I get the message. It seems I'm not welcome on the new A2K, so I will remove my annoyance from your new site. I wish the new site success and will miss many of you.

You are welcome here as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I've ever seen a message from you that I'd vote down.

Negative rec systems are often subject to abuse. It could well be one person making all the negative recs with different accounts. I wouldn't let take it as a sign of how everyone here feels about you.
Vengoropatubus

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:23 pm
@oralloy,
I just don't see why we don't ditch the new system entirely. If people used the old view new posts button, why not just leave that in with a new layout of the old board style instead of completely reworking everything? '
As a guy who browsed the old Science and Math forum almost exclusively, I can tell you that the new system is an enormous bother. Suddenly instead of the topics with the most recent posts being displayed up top, we have topics that haven't been posted in since 2005 and 2003 above topics that actually have received new posts in the last five years.
JPB

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:34 pm
@Vengoropatubus,
we do?