Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:55 am
@littlek,
Very well said.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:56 am
@Gargamel,
Quote:

There have been many threads about the thumbs up/down. I think what's gone unnmentioned is the connotation of the word "reputation" on the user profile. While the arugment about voting down simply to remove threads from view makes sense, "reputation" is indeed a loaded word, particularly when placed in such proximity to "questions answered," right? The implication being that newbies or one-time users coming here simply for advice may click on a profile to help guage the credibility of the poster. Thus, a fully competent regular whose "reputation" has been "damaged" simply due to the nature of their posting habits (say, for example, someone who likes to start trivia threads) may not be taken seriously as a result.

Thanks Garg - I've wondered about this too!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyc, what does voting have to do with tagging? I was replying to maporsche, and his statement that he didn't like tagging....

I have to say that I'm coming around on the issue of how the "voting" (which I still think is a good thing) is displayed.... I think the ideas from the developers side (Robert Gentel said something about that yesterday) of only displaying positive "votes" might be an improvement...

I'm also coming around on the issue of the icons. Minor thing, really, and it doesn't bother me... But at this point it's probably worth considering to simply switch to a different icon. Maybe a star instead of "thumbs up", and some icon for "hide this" instead of the "thumbs down"....

(And yes, I find tagging enjoyable... <grins>)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
@old europe,
Whoops sorry!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:04 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Hey, BBB. Don't let it bother you. Do what I do. Ignore the thumb thingies. Don't even look at them. I have no idea whether my posts/threads are popular or not. And I don't care. I talk to the people I want to talk to. (Er, I'm relearning how to do that.)

I really don't care for the thumbs up/down feature, and I feel the same way as Cycloptichorn. I've argued with Craven about it. People haven't really figured out how to use it yet, either, so it's a mess. Maybe eventually things will settle down and I'll take a second look at using it...or maybe not. But for now, I just look right past it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:14 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Do what you want, BBB, but keep in mind that you are not seeing the voting. Since a thumb down removes a thread from one poster's view, there is a motive for using it. If someone wants to follow a thread, they can tag it, which will work better for them than thumbing up. In other words, the votes don't begin to show the real popularity of a thread.

Anyway, a2k has become an important part of my life. How about yours?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
I've said this once before and I'll repeat it. This is a simple fix. Remove the word reputation altogether and/or stop tying votes on threads to a persons reputation.

Replace thumbs with "interested" or "not interested"

I don't know **** about computers but I know enough to know that the smart people who designed and run this site could do that with a keystroke or two. Problem solved.

It's a matter of semantics. Words hurt.

It's now also become a pissing contest and I seriously doubt any changes will be made.

For myself, I don't give a ****. As usual though, it's certainly interesting to observe.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:22 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks, osso, appreciate your assistance to keep me "sane" and happy with a2k.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:27 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

I've said this once before and I'll repeat it. This is a simple fix. Remove the word reputation altogether and/or stop tying votes on threads to a persons reputation.

Replace thumbs with "interested" or "not interested"

I don't know **** about computers but I know enough to know that the smart people who designed and run this site could do that with a keystroke or two. Problem solved.

It's a matter of semantics. Words hurt.

It's now also become a pissing contest and I seriously doubt any changes will be made.

For myself, I don't give a ****. As usual though, it's certainly interesting to observe.

I think you are absolutely right.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:29 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
It's a matter of semantics.

<ka-ching>
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:34 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Yep yep yep....ditto in those words....... (oh....thunderstorms starting again!)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Some people, certainly not all. It's not depressing in the very least for me for example.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:38 am
I think the core problem is that there is a confusion of purposes. We seem to have popularity confused with value, and as long as we have no way to differentiate "I'm not interested" from "I don't like" it will continue. This is, of course, compounded by the connection between the thumbs and reputation. Maybe calling it "popularity" would be better.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
I don't want you to leave, BBB. Even when I haven't replied to some of your threads, I have always opened them to see what they are about. I couldn't imagine a site without you. I also think the voting down is done to excess, but I think being with a2k friends is worth the hassle.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
@FreeDuck,
A problem of semantics in other words?
RexRed

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:41 am
I haven't voted you down... and don't plan to. Cheer up. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:44 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

A problem of semantics in other words?

Yes, and more. I read your post and agree with it. But I think there is also more to it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Some people, certainly not all. It's not depressing in the very least for me for example.

Yeah, but you designed the system. You have a deeply-placed understanding of the meaning of those symbols. Others don't, and you can't expect them to feel the way that you do about it. They have different deeply-placed understandings of the symbols, and a pat little explanation of the way that you intend for it to be viewed does not change that understanding.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:48 am
@FreeDuck,
please elaborate. I'm interested I even gave your post a thumbs up Wink
djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
please don't leave ms boogie

i enjoy your posts, i should probably say that more often
0 Replies