Anyone Else Still Having Trouble with the New Site?

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:13 am
In regards to the format and the new way of everything?
I am still having trouble adjusting.

I know, you all say wait, it will become second nature, it will get better, yada yada. But honestly, I don't feel any better about it now than I did the first time I saw it.
Sad

Just wanted to say so.

I know it doesn't make a difference really, but I just wanted to say so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 4,802 • Replies: 72

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:18 am
@Bella Dea,
If you had to pick one major issue you have with the format, or your biggest discomfort, what would it be?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:25 am
Just the way it looks. I guess the functionality is there. I wish that I could hide all the topics I've voted down.

I can't quite put a finger on what it is exactly that I don't like about it.

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:32 am
@Bella Dea,
All of the topics I vote down are hidden from my view, Bella.

In terms of the way it looks, I suspect you'll get used to it pretty quickly.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:35 am
@Ticomaya,
They are hidden but I still get that line that says I voted it down. So say I vote everything but 1 topic down on the first page. I still see the lines that say I voted the topic down and have to click to the next page to see the other topics I voted up. Does that make sense?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:37 am
@Bella Dea,
BD wrote:
I wish that I could hide all the topics I've voted down.
it's a setting --
go to My Settings http://able2know.org/account/preferences/
change both "Minimum Topic Votes" & "Minimum Topic Posts" to No Minimum
this should collapse everything you vote down...

edit
the reverse doesn't seem to un-collpase threads i've voted down, so i may not be right about this...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:44 am
I am not getting the hang of tagging at all. I click on politics or whatever in my tags and get 'no threads' even though I have tagged dozens. Clicking on a specific topic in tags gives me a fraction of the threads that should be there. I am either unequal to the task or I'm not understanding it at all.

Also I understand that my tags will be replaced if others use different tags? What is that all about?

The most frustrating thing is that if I forget to tag a topic of interest and go back to hunt for it, it may be buried many pages deep in the queue because the queue moves so fast with all the new posts.
maporsche

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:47 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

They are hidden but I still get that line that says I voted it down. So say I vote everything but 1 topic down on the first page. I still see the lines that say I voted the topic down and have to click to the next page to see the other topics I voted up. Does that make sense?

I'm with you bella. I can only see 20-30 posts out of the first 200. I'm not a big fan of this so far.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
@Bella Dea,
Frankly, this new site stinks. I can't even find most of the threads I've been active on, and I've lost all of my pictures on my travelogues that I've spent hours selecting and posting. Yeah, it stinks.
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hey c.i., click here:

http://able2know.org/tag/travelogue/

That's to get you started -- I can tell you more about how to find things if you're interested.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:07 am
I'm having terrible problems with the new site, Bella. I can't find anything. People keep talking about voting. I don't see a place to vote. Not sure I want to vote, but it would be nice to know what or where it is. I haven't tagged anything (not sure I know what tagging is), yet I find many threads on my tagged threads list. How do you find people? Not a clue.

I don't understand why "my posts" has to list every post in a thread. I usually refer to my posts just to find a thread. I don't like that when you decide to post, you can't see the past few posts--nothing to refer to.

I don't understand why, whenever I post, I see a green thumb go up. No other thumbs are up or down.

I know I'm computer-challenged and I know I'm resistant to change, but I'm clueless--and uncomfortable.
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:10 am
@Roberta,
Roberta, under avatars there is always a pair of hands -- one is thumbs-up, one is thumbs-down. If fit is under someone else's avatar, the hands are grey. If it is under your avatar, one of the hands (the thumbs-up) is green.

You vote by clicking on the thumbs.

You can go ahead and play with it -- it's all reversible.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
@Roberta,
I just checked your tags and everything that "you" tagged is from before the changeover. Basically (and I'm not sure how this worked) there was some sort of conversion that happened -- maybe the old forums became the new tags? I've noticed that with some of my threads -- if they were in the old "parenting & childcare" forum, now they're tagged "parenting & childcare."

Do you know how to tag? Basically, there is a box on the left side of your screen when you are reading a thread that says "My tags." Put a likely tag in there (a label that you think would be a good way to categorize the thread you are reading), and click "submit." You have now tagged the thread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:19 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
I don't understand why, whenever I post, I see a green thumb go up. No other thumbs are up or down.

You always automatically give yourself a thumbs-up vote when you post. If you're posting something, it is assumed that you think it is worthwhile. (You can change it to a thumbs-down if you want, though.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:50 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

How do you find people? Not a clue.

Soz figured this one out, too, but now I know. Click on anyone's name at the top of their post, and you are taken to their profile (yours has a cheeta, by the way). Now, at the very top of the screen is a url, which starts out "http;//able2know.org followed by some other stuff. If you are on anyone's profile page, that url will contain the person's screen name. Remove the name, and nothing else. Now type in the name of the person you are looking for, press enter, and you will go to their profile. From there, you can click on their topics to see all the threads they've started. You can also click on their posts to see everything they've posted.
roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:52 am
@Roberta,
Oh, url stands for Universal Resource Locator. I understand each word, but put them together and I don't get any meaning at all. I don't worry about this.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@roger,
Hopefully an easier way is on the to do list... 'cause that's clunky.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

@Bella Dea,
I am. I need the tag searching and My Posts fix to browse my topics efficiently.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:53 am
@roger,
Yep, forgot to get to that one. Thanks roger.

To maybe simplify a bit...

Here's roger's profile:

http://able2know.org/user/roger/

Go ahead and click on it.

You can then click on his Topics, Posts, or Tags to see what he's been up to or what he's interested in.

Then if you want to go to someone else's profile, just erase "roger" from the url and type in the username of the person you're interested in.
Roberta

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 12:09 pm
@sozobe,
Is it case-sensitive? What if I want to find roger, e.g., and I don't remember that his name has a lowercase r?

I think I understand how to vote on a post, but how do you vote on a thread?

What's the difference between replying to a post and replying to all? Replying to a post doesn't get the post to appear. You have to copy it and put in in the quote thing.

I'm gonna shut up now. Don't wanna take over Bella's thread.