So....Will Biden Be VP?

okie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 09:40 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Yes, Occom Bill, the great intellectual giant, only a moron would disagree with you, just ask you. I think alot of your trash talk has alot to do with you, sadly for you, Bill.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 09:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
That's it, thanks!

(Perhaps I should have said "would have eaten his words if he had a scrap of decency..." Wink )
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 09:53 am
@georgeob1,
George, as I told Bill, I think people are looking for a good minority to vote for, for a variety of reasons, one being to shut people up that think like Bill. Also, Obama has enjoyed a lead in the polls for quite some time. If he loses the race now, I don't think it will be because of race. I think alot of the same people that voted against Gore and Kerry will again vote against Obama, not because of race, but because of political platform.

Frankly, one can find people that vote for or against somebody because of race, sure, but to set up this election as a referendum on race, so that if Obama loses it will be blamed on bigotry and racism, as Bill seems to have bought into, I find repugnant, and frankly I am tired of hearing it, and I think most people are. And the reason I am on Bill's case is because he has accused me of racism or bigotry, and yes, I therefore he has no credibility as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately, there are too many people that think like he does.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Yes, Occom Bill, the great intellectual giant, only a moron would disagree with you, just ask you. I think alot of your trash talk has alot to do with you, sadly for you, Bill.
Rolling Eyes Repeating this tripe won't make it true. One need only consider that I made no such accusations toward the other two conservatives I've been arguing with on this very thread.

okie wrote:

George, as I told Bill, I think people are looking for a good minority to vote for, for a variety of reasons, one being to shut people up that think like Bill. Also, Obama has enjoyed a lead in the polls for quite some time. If he loses the race now, I don't think it will be because of race. I think alot of the same people that voted against Gore and Kerry will again vote against Obama, not because of race, but because of political platform.

Frankly, one can find people that vote for or against somebody because of race, sure, but to set up this election as a referendum on race, so that if Obama loses it will be blamed on bigotry and racism, as Bill seems to have bought into, I find repugnant, and frankly I am tired of hearing it, and I think most people are. And the reason I am on Bill's case is because he has accused me of racism or bigotry, and yes, I therefore he has no credibility as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately, there are too many people that think like he does.
Rolling Eyes Continuously fluffing this straw man won't make it true either. I detailed how little effect race need have to affect the outcome in a recent post to George... you are, apparently, too stupid to comprehend it. George isn’t. Neither is Finn. Neither is Lash. Neither is Tico. Neither is Asherman. You’re not alone in your foolishness. But you’re not in respected company either. The people I named are known for arguing their points around solid points by the opposition. You are known for arguing yours oblivious to them.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:11 am
@OCCOM BILL,
I Googled "Bradley Effect to see what this bit of jargon means. Apparently it refers to excuses pollsters offer for the failures of their polls & statistical analyses to accurately predict outcomes. How scientific of them to blame the subjects of their sampling & analysis for the failures of their, at best, approximate forecasting methods.

It appears to me that you are now altering your position to affirm that racism MIGHT be the central cause for an Obama defeat (if it occurs). See below --
As you noted, I don't object to that at all. My objection centered on the assertion that in the case of such a defeat it would be the necessary or most likely cause. I believe I have outlined the logic of this objection quite clearly and persuasively.
OCCOM BILL" wrote:
You're a bright guy, George. Surely it can't be difficult for you to understand that racism need not inflict more than a small percentage of the electorate to affect the outcome in even a somewhat tight race, which this could well turn out to be (you’ve essentially already conceded as much). Surely you recognize that although there may be many significant contributing factors in a candidate's loss; the absence of any one of them could alter the outcome. If this is true (and it is), and you can recognize these simple truths (and you can); how can you continue to pretend fears of racism are necessarily irrational accusations against the whole of Obama's opposition? This is a pathetic straw man, George, and you should damn well have the integrity to admit it.
It isn't your apparent "fear of racism" to which I object. It is instead the irrational (in my view) accusations you made in earlier posts regarding the likely cause of an Obama defeat, should it occur. This does indeed require the selective prejudgement of numerous other likely factors in a tight election; the categorical (as opposed to specific and factual) evaluation of these factors; as well as the prejudgement of the unknowable motives of large numbers of people for actions they have not yet taken.

I don't regard the arguments I have offered as "pathetic" in any way, and I don't concede any lack of "integrity" on my part in making this case. I generally try to avoid such hyperbole, particularly in personal judgements of others whom I don't really know.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
I think it's fair to say that a certain percentage of racists are going to be voting against Obama, that's a real concern this cycle.

But I don't think, if he loses, that the racists will be the reason. That's like, at a baskteball game, blaming a loss on the player who misses a shot in the last 20 seconds which would have won; no one individual factor is responsible for victories or losses in things like this, and Obama can over-come the small latent racism effect if he runs a strong campaign.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I think it's fair to say that a certain percentage of racists are going to be voting against Obama, that's a real concern this cycle.

But I don't think, if he loses, that the racists will be the reason. That's like, at a baskteball game, blaming a loss on the player who misses a shot in the last 20 seconds which would have won; no one individual factor is responsible for victories or losses in things like this, and Obama can over-come the small latent racism effect if he runs a strong campaign.

Cycloptichorn

I agree, and such is the reason I condemn O Bill's opinions, plus all the trash talk that goes with it, calling people morons and idiots, which are divisive, and frankly people are tired of hearing it, I know I am. The over arching reason for people voting is political, and most people are offended to think they would vote either for or against somebody based on race, gender, or some other superfluous characteristic. Criminy, something called character should mean something, plus leadership ability, experience, judgement, and political views.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:33 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It is instead the irrational (in my view) accusations you made in earlier posts regarding the likely cause of an Obama defeat, should it occur.
I demonstrated this to be a straw man when you first said it George. Please quote the "earlier posts" you are referring to or admit it doesn't exist. It doesn't George. Prove it to yourself.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:35 am
@georgeob1,
I have read most of your opinions in the debate with Bill, and thanks for the time and effort to try to explain in detail the thinking, pretty much parallel with the same thinking that I have on the issue as well.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Bingo !!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:36 am
@georgeob1,
Yup. They are a factor of a larger problem if he loses - not that I think for a single second that he will, as he's got the advantages and he is obviously capable of running the sort of campaign he will need to capitalize upon those advantages.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:43 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

okie wrote:

Rolling Eyes Repeating this tripe won't make it true. One need only consider that I made no such accusations toward the other two conservatives I've been arguing with on this very thread.

Yes, repeating tripe doesn't make it true, Bill. And since you make no accusations against other 2 conservatives here, how come you single out "okie?" Are you bigoted against okies?

Bill, you have called me a bigot or a racist, I don't remember which. Since you don't know me, all you have as evidence is what I said, supposedly, please provide one quote, if you can find one, to prove your claim. I know you can't, because there isn't one. How could there be one, because that is not what I think. This problem goes back a ways, and since you are proud of making accusations, why don't you back it up, instead of simply repeating the tripe without any evidence? Be my guest, Bill.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

But I don't think, if he loses, that the racists will be the reason.
The problem here is that both George and Okie are sharing this straw man of nonsense. Neither me, nor anyone else has stated in this thread that if Obama loses racists will be the reason. I merely pointed out as you have above that racists will vote, that it will be to Obama's disadvantage, and that Obama will have to overcome this simple matter of fact in order to win. If either wishes to dispute that this is a bogus straw man they're beating on; they need only quote the claim (which they can't, because it doesn't exist.)

I expect this from Okie. George is surprising me.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:51 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

okie wrote:

Yes, repeating tripe doesn't make it true, Bill. And since you make no accusations against other 2 conservatives here, how come you single out "okie?" Are you bigoted against okies?

Bill, you have called me a bigot or a racist, I don't remember which. Since you don't know me, all you have as evidence is what I said, supposedly, please provide one quote, if you can find one, to prove your claim. I know you can't, because there isn't one. How could there be one, because that is not what I think. This problem goes back a ways, and since you are proud of making accusations, why don't you back it up, instead of simply repeating the tripe without any evidence? Be my guest, Bill.
I'll be happy to Okie, just as soon as you provide a link to where I called you a racist or a bigot in the first place. I don't recall directly accusing you of either, wouldn't have done so without due cause, and won't be doing your homework for you.
okie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:51 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Big news, racists exist, and they vote. Glad to know it, Bill.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:53 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Yeah, upon re-reading, I think you are correct; there was either a mis-understanding on their part or a little intellectual laziness going on.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:59 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Big news, racists exist, and they vote. Glad to know it, Bill.
That's a step in the right direction, Okie. Now that you've admitted that, try admitting:
  • That many racists will vote against Obama.
  • That Obama must overcome this simple matter of fact in order to win.

Then you can retract every idiotic thing you've written here, because you'll have admitted I said nothing uncalled for in the first place.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:01 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
# That many racists will vote against Obama.

Many racist will vote for Obama and cancel out those that don't vote for him.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I'll be happy to Okie, just as soon as you provide a link to where I called you a racist or a bigot in the first place. I don't recall directly accusing you of either, wouldn't have done so without due cause, and won't be doing your homework for you.

Thats your homework, Bill. I remember it, and I think you do to. I have better things to do than to look up old arguments, and if you don't feel like looking it up, then you know what you think now, don't you? In your opinion, state your case, if you have one, and if you don't, then I request you also acknowledge it and quit the tripe.
okie

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:05 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Try admitting that racists will also vote for Obama, Bill.

And whites will vote for Obama because he is considered black, because they want to elect a minority. Hillary's supporters wanted a woman president. Thats a fact too. Does that make them bigoted?