IS ALL HUMOR SADISTIC ???

Lazarus

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:16 pm
Could you explain, Merry Andrew, what you mean by 'in-group' jokes? I'm sure that his work isn't for everyone. And what do you mean by calling yourself an outsider? Does that make fans of his insiders? Please explain.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 05:13 pm
Oh, I've read a lot of Heinlein and liked most of it. But his humor very often presupposes that you've also read some of the same things he's read (not always standard stuff that just everybody should know) and will therefore 'get' the sly allusion. For example, he makes references to John Carter of Mars, the Edgar Rice Burroughs character. I get it, but I also think, "That's probably not funny for most people who've never heard of Burroughs apart from the Tarzan books."

By and large, Heinlein does not use very much humor in his writings. (I should say 'didn't use'; he died a couple of years ago.) Stop me now, as this isn't a Heinlein thread. Anybody wants to start one, I'll be happy to participate.
0 Replies

Lazarus

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:53 pm
I suppose you are right. To tell you the truth, I feel kind of warm and fuzzy inside when I catch one of those obscure references.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:01 pm
some of the best humour is self deprecating comments;
especially effective if it puts down the strong points of the comedian, therefore adding disbelief to the 'surprize' reaction.

(i mention this to diferentiate from 'mean' humour based upon comments about others)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:05 pm
Right, Bo. Think Rodeny Dangerfield and 'I don't get no respect.'
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:08 pm
Yeh, but neither did he deserve any! Confused

[how about your signature line! Laughing]
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:52 pm
BoGoWo, self-deprecating humour is technically masochistic, not sadistic, so I think you have answered the original question. Smile
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 09:17 pm
Are all internet posts silly?
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 12:29 am
I would hope so.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 09:30 am
Everything is 'silly' from one point of view, or another! Rolling Eyes