I just heard this.

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:28 am
@Arendt,
Fascinating. Who is Jerome Corsi?
nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:36 am
@Phoenix32890,
He's this rightwing sleaze who just published a book full of lies about Obama (The Obama Nation). It's right at the top of the bestseller list now too, so expect some of them to appear in your inbox in alarmed emails.

This NYT page (front page article) did a good job slicing Corsi's motivations and how his book scores on the truth-o-meter. Telling example:

Quote:
In exploring Mr. Obama’s denials that he had been present for the more incendiary sermons of his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., Mr. Corsi cites a report on the conservative Web site NewsMax.com that Mr. Obama had attended a sermon on July 22, 2007, in which Mr. Wright blamed “the ‘white arrogance’ of America’s Caucasian majority for the world’s suffering, especially the oppression of blacks.”

Mr. Obama, however, was giving a speech in Florida that afternoon, and his campaign reported he had not attended Mr. Wright’s church that day.

William Kristol, a columnist for The New York Times, had cited the same report in a column, and issued a correction. “There is a dispute about the date, and Kristol chose to side with Obama,” Mr. Corsi said. “We can nitpick the date to death,” he added

So a NewsMax article said Obama was there for the speech; but it was soon shown that Obama was actually in Florida that day, and therefore someone like Kristol posted a correction. Corsi knew all this, but calls it just "a dispute about the date", and repeated the lie anyway.

Apparently the whole book is done with the same accuracy and scruples...

As for the date rape thing, hellfino.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:05 am
@nimh,
Nimh- Thanks. The reason that I did not know who this guy was, is because I am doing my damndest to remove myself as much from the political scene as possible. I think that this entire election cycle is an abomination, and the less I have to do with it, the better. I am sick to death of the slings and counterslings that are being bandied about, from both sides of the political spectrum.

I would expect (am I asking too much?) that people in politics should behave like adults, not junior high school bullies.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm
@nimh,
He's written a book, but why don't people just refute his claims rather than do no more than launch an ad hom attack? I don't know what the book's claims are...but I always wonder why people just don't prove them wrong, or demand the author's proof...or file suit...
nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:25 pm
@Lash,
Hi Lash,

There's plenty of refuting of the book's claims going on. The NYT article linked above does some of it. Media Matters has made it a cause. And that's just two poles of journalism vs activism.

The poster of this thread resorted to an ad hom, yes, which speaks ill of him. But how do you get from there that "people" are just launching ad hom attacks against the writer rather than refuting his claims? This is the first post (anywhere!) I've seen that just makes an ad hom attack and nothing else. Whereas I've already seen a bunch of articles/blog posts getting into the writer's claims.

So how does that work? Have you seen many posts like this, and no articles that get into the refuting, or... yeah, how does that work exactly?
Lash

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:45 pm
@nimh,
I was watching this guy (Corsi) on FOX News this morning...and they featured a booklet that had been put together by Obama supporters that just slimed the author, rather than refuting the book's claims...
revel

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:31 pm
@Lash,
perhaps that might tell you need to broaden your horizons past fox news.

'unfit for publication.'

http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/corsi

Lash

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:35 pm
@revel,
It proves that in this case, the author lied, and the interviewer at FOX totally dropped the ball. I watch a cross-section of news... Thank you for the link.
Lash

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:37 pm
@Lash,
Interestingly, FOX news just stated that Unfit for Publication does refute Corsi's allegations.... I guess other people called in to complain.
Arendt

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:24 pm
@Lash,
"Me too. I read it here on A2K.... and no amount of searching could do anything but lead me back here..."

I hope you are not accusing me of making unsubstantiated accusations about a public figure. I assure you I am an honorable man who has fact checked backwards and forwards.

You dont even want to know what he does with shaving cream...
cjhsa

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:06 pm
@Arendt,
Actually, I am, and so are others in the thread.
Arendt

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:18 pm
@cjhsa,
I am shocked and appalled. How unamerican.
0 Replies

Arendt

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:35 pm
@nimh,
"he poster of this thread resorted to an ad hom, yes, which speaks ill of him. But how do you get from there that "people" are just launching ad hom attacks against the writer rather than refuting his claims? This is the first post (anywhere!) I've seen that just makes an ad hom attack and nothing else. Whereas I've already seen a bunch of articles/blog posts getting into the writer's claims."

It's almost like the original post was meant to draw attention to the mindlessness of such attacks, as well as the intellectual and moral (though not political) absurdity in responding to them with anything resembling thoughtfulness and reason...Gasp.

Politically, a reasoned response is necessary for Obama of course. But I would expect one should only bother to do so if they being paid for it.

An irresponsible and easy response to an irresponsible and easy book? Sue me.
0 Replies