The McTags are coming to San Francisco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:30 pm
It would be fun to have a San Francisco a2k meet on September 13th and/or the 14th, so I'm getting the feelers out right now! For those interested, please let us know which date is best for you. We need numbers ASAP so we can plan on the venue. T.

McTag

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Gee whillikins, is that searchlight swinging my way? Hope we're over the jetlag by then, or maybe we'll be asleep under the table.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:40 pm
@McTag,
Since San Francisco is one of the primary venues for your visit, we might as well knock-off two ducks with one stone (trip). he he he...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:06 pm

Well that seems to have started up a real storm of apathy.

(smiley face here)
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:50 pm
@McTag,
You can say that again! LOL I've started another thread, but don't hold out much hope for it. I think this "new" a2k seems too strange for easy navigation, or people are just busy next month.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:43 pm
I believe we have now made contact with some people who are interested in our gathering in San Francisco with the McTags. My blood pressure is back down to normal. LOL
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:45 pm
I'll be there.

Cheers
Cyclo
McTag

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

The McTags will be there

See you, Cyclo.

Smile Drunk
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:37 pm
@McTag,
I certainly would like to fly there and meet you folks, but considering my wallet, that's a no go. I'd stay at the Adagio again..

Hope you have a great time, McTaggies.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:22 pm
15 more days until G day; or there abouts.
McTag

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
We are now engaged in trying to decide what weather we will encounter, and to plan the suitcases accordingly.

Not that I've got much choice.

Smile

G day?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 01:25 pm
McT, San Francisco climate is not consistent, so you can expect some of the hottest weather in September, but also an average that is in the mid-seventies. For evenings, it's also a good idea to have a light jacket or sweater. It's best to be prepared to layer your clothing rather than bringing "heavy" clothes.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm

"The McTags are coming to San Francisco"

Yes they are, pretty soon now, and getting mighty excited about it too.

btw I've just been watching some of my DVDs of The Wire and I'm kind of glad we're not taking in Baltimore, MD this trip.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 06:27 pm
We've been very busy since the McTags arrived here, so we didn't post anything yet. However, I did take some pictures, and after they leave for Portland tomorrow morning, I'll have time to download the pix and post a short report of what we've been doing. Til tomorrow.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That'll be great.

Georgeob1 posted a teaser somewhere (British thread mebbe?).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm

Tell the folks back home this is the Promised Land callin'
And the po' boy's on the line
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 05:12 pm
The McTags arrived in the late evening on Friday, September 12. After collecting their bags, we headed to our place in Sunnyvale, about a 45 minute drive from the airport. We tried to fix their bed, and get them to rest as soon as we arrived home, knowing that they have traveled for about 24-hours.

After breakfast the following morning, we drove to San Francisco.

After walking from the parking garage towards the Ferry Building, we stopped at the Sheraton Palace to view their beautiful dining hall.

After looking into the Hyatt Regency Hotel lobby, we took the cable car close by the hotel entrance to Van Ness, then a bus to city hall and Davies Symphony Concert Hall.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/IMG_1053.jpg

City Hall (it was closed).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/IMG_1052.jpg

After we took the cable car back to the Hyatt Regency, we walked to the Sinbad restaurant for lunch located next door to the Ferry Building . Previous visitors to the San Francisco a2k Gathering have eaten at the same restaurant.

McTag was mesmerized by the drummer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/IMG_1056.jpg

We then drove across the Golden Gate Bridge to the viewpoint to enjoy the bridge and the San Francisco skyline.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/IMG_1062.jpg

After spending about a half hour at the viewpoint, we headed towards Sausalito to get a different view of the San Francisco skyline, and a stop for snacks and/or drinks at the Spinnaker.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/IMG_1065.jpg

Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks ci....

Great photos...

Brings back many memories too.

Thanku for sharing them x
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:57 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie, You're welcome.

On Sunday, we spent most of the day in Silicon Valley - in the surrounding areas. Unfortunately, I did not carry my camera with me, so no pictures.

We started to day by having breakfast at Amelia's restaurant a few blocks from where we live, then drove west to the Winchester Mystery House which opens at 9AM on Sundays. Since we were about an hour early before our tour start time, we walked across the street to Santana Row, a special street with fancy shops and restaurants. The interesting trivia about Santana Row is that no matter the difficulty of our economy, many go there to shop and eat at their many pricey restaurants. We took their 11AM Mansion Tour, then headed towards the Elephant Bar for lunch. Our next stop was the Hakone Japanese Botanical Garden in Saratoga where many of the buildings in the garden were transplanted from Japan - including the gardener/caretaker. After spending a leisurely afternoon around the garden we drove on Hwy 9 towards Montalvo Park where they have concerts by world-renowned artists including all forms of music styles.

We arrived home around 4PM which gave us time to rest a bit before we showered, changed our clothes, and got ready for our trip to the St Francis Yacht Club to have dinner with georgeob1 at 6:30PM. We arrived about 15-minutes early, but georgeob was already waiting for us.

It was Italian buffet-style dinner with an extensive choice at the salad bar, and a pick your own ingredient pasta with different pastas and sauces. The pasta with some vegetables and meats such as smoked salmon was different, but really delicious!

It was Mrs McTag's birthday.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/SFsept1415162008002.jpg

Happy Birthday to you!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/SFsept1415162008004.jpg

To celebrate Mrs McTag's birthday, we went to the Top of the Mark (Mark Hopkins Hotel on top of Nob Hill) with a great view of San Francisco to have an after-dinner drink.

Thanks again to georgeob for hosting us at the yacht club; a very special venue with one of the best views of the "bridge" and Alcatraz.

It was a very pleasant day.

Will continue tomorrow.
McTag

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:19 pm

Good account, c.i., thanks.
Shame I ruined many of your pics.
My wife told me on no account to wear dark socks with shorts again, so I bought a supply of white ones at Target.

Had a really wonderful time with c.i.and family, much appreciated. I'll fill in some detail when I get my pics up.

Now in Portland, after a good flight this morning, sunny warm weather, and enjoying the hospitality of Bernie and Lola.
Thanks again to the folks of Sunnyvale who were such great hosts. (sorry no PMs, c.i., so personal mail will follow)
0 Replies