The McTags are coming to San Francisco

Ethel2

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well well, if that's not my friends Fiona and McTag and georgeob with a fork in his mouth. Nice to finally lay eyes on ya george.
Ethel2

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And when will that be, ci?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 07:00 pm
@Ethel2,
george knows how to eat! And that's no exaggeration! I like people who knows how to enjoy their food and drink - one of the great enjoyments of living.

When will what be? The next SF gathering? Why don't you suggest a month for 2009? It'll be a good start.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm

Heading for Yosemite tomorrow, after a great tour round some magnificent places.
We're in Tonopah (Nevada) tonight, a former mining town with not too much going for it- but it's quite interesting. For our evening meal, a Mexican restaurant sold us some hot stuff, it was fine.
My/our pictures will have to wait until after we get home, and I must say we're not really looking forward to that bit at all at the moment.

So I'm just writing to say "hello" really, and looking forward to seeing c.i. again in due course. No problems with the driving yet, so fingers crossed that continues.

McT x
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:21 pm
@McTag,
Don't hit any large pot-holes, and have a safe journey.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
The McTag's spent their last day (yesterday) in San Francisco to "wrap up" the things they wanted to see and do, and I took them to the airport early this morning for the flight home.

McTag will be posting his travelogue and pictures after he gets home, and I'm curious to see their pictures of their visit to Vegas and the national parks with his comments.

McTag

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 01:49 am
@cicerone imposter,

The sparrow has landed.

It's raining in Manchester.

More exciting news later.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:59 am
We'd like our broom back.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:00 pm
@blatham,
Hey, Bernie, did that broom have a red or gold handle?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:46 pm
Hey, McTag, we're not expecting a 1000 page novel here. LOL
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 10:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Hey, Bernie, did that broom have a red or gold handle?

I'm only concerned with its new color.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:56 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
We're in Tonopah (Nevada) tonight, a former mining town with not too much going for it- but it's quite interesting.

My goodness, what brought you to Tonopah? I never thought of it as a town per se... more like a glorified rest area on the highway. Did you actually find things to do there?
McTag

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 12:51 am
@Shapeless,

It was a rest area on the highway, for us. We needed a staging post on the stretch between Bryce (Tropic, Utah) and Yosemite.

I'm gathering my strength for a full report, out soon.
McTag

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 12:58 am
@McTag,
At Saratoga, a splendid spot

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/IMG_3720.jpg
McTag

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 01:13 am
@McTag,

Not all our photos have been downloaded yet here, due to conflicting demands on our time, but I took 450 and her indoors took nearer 700 I think.

But bear with me, we'll get there in the end. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 12:41 pm
@McTag,
Poor McTags; I dragged them to the Japanese garden in Saratoga on the first day of their visit, and to the Japanese Garden in San Francisco on their last. I hope they don't have nightmares! LOL
Izzie

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 06:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Mac, ci - certainly looking forward to seeing the pics . the Japanses Gardens are stunning..

pics pics pics lovelies

x
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
So, we've been back a week now, and the worst effects of jetlag seem to have receded.

Back from what? Well, what started as a kind invitation from c.i. to see him in California turned into quite a marathon, and for us something of a trip-of-a-lifetime.
Fiona, my wife, also previously had an ambition to drive across the whole country. I think I talked her out of that, but we factored in a lot of driving too.
Bernie, and Lola, late of NY, NY, had moved to Portland, Oregon and had also extended an invitation to see them: and georgeob expressed a hospitable wish to meet up in San Francisco.
We wanted to see as much of the West as we reasonably could, particularly the national parks.
Put it all together, and what have you got?

Well, we started to put out some queries for hotels etc and being quite late in the day, the availability of accommodation dictated the itinerary somewhat.

Changing planes in Newark, NJ, we got to SFO after about 23 hours travelling, all told. We were met by our genial host, and taken to meet his family in Sunnyvale. True to his chosen nickname, he is a great host and guide and he made sure we saw as much as we could in the time we were there....the city with its many fine buildings, the trolley cars, the Golden Gate, the Sausalito side, Fisherman's Wharf and the Ferry Port buildings, now a trendy upmarket area....fine sunny weather,too. Marvellous.

Who could forget the evening spent in the company of George O'B in the yacht club? Good company, good food, lively surroundings, good craic, arm-wrestling, views over the Bay and later, cocktails at the Top of the Mark on Nob Hill. A memorable occasion? I should say so.

Monterey (Cannery Row country, ocean aquarium, Carmel for a nice lunch in Clint Eastwood's pub) Sacramento to see a brilliant railway museum in the old twwn and than a visit to the capitol (to cap it all, and passing by the office of the Governor I was happy I had not worn a souvenir t-shirt "The Governator say NO to girlie men") because the trooper on guard was wearing a gun. Ci's brother, in the administration there, kindly gave us a copy of the Constitution of the United States bound together with the Constitution of the State of California). A nice gesture, much appreciated.

Jally Belly Candy Factory? It's famous, and we've been there too.. Other things, to nomerous to mention. San Jose. The Winchester House. Plenty of good eats, international. Ci filled the days to bursting with his suggestions, and his energy.

Flying to Portland, Bernie eventually found his car (impressive European machinery) in the airport carpark, and took us to Lola in their new jewel of a house. We saw plenty of Portland with Bernie, poor Lola having to work meanwhile, including Powells unique book store. Bernie kissed a pig. Portland was most interesting, lifting bridges, free public transport, excellent riverside walks.
With them we also went to the coast, at Cannon Beach, a local beauty spot with folks at play beside the Pacific.
More big eats. I liked that cafe bar.

Flying next to Las Vegas (principally to pick up the car there, but also to see the place for once) we stayed two nights at the Luxor. Las Vegas, it's mad, or maybe I wasn't in the mood, but what a crazy place., And, temperature in the 90s. I started developing a heavy cold. We liked the fountains at the Bellagio. We visited "Old LV" at Fremont Street, that was interesting.

Two days later, we drove out into the desert on I15. What a contrast. We were headed for the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and holed up at Jacob's Lake.
The canyon was so impressive there that folks were talking in hushed voices, as if in a cathedral. It was stupendous. They say that the north rim is better, being les touristy and is also about 800 ft higher than the south rim.

Next stop Zion, after that Bryce, then Yosemite. All different, all magnificent.
Lots of desert driving in between. Did you see Simon Sharma on TV this week? It's like that. Cactus, sagebrush, salt pans, mountains. Ry Cooder.

You're probably thinking, okay, yady yada, where's the photos? Not all photos are sorted yet, but I'll follow up with some, with more later.

Stay tuned, we'll be right back.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:41 am
@McTag,
The story's good.

Mebbe you could work each sentence into a paragraph ... and then a chapter ... and then we've got a book!

Yes!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:55 am
@McTag,
I have heard it said Mac that the north rim is better.

Rather you than me. To my way of thinking it sounds like a form of low level torture. Reading about it was roughly the same but fortunately it didn't take too long. A couple of weeks at that sort of work to keep liquidity in the markets would have me in a sanatorium I'm afraid to say.

A pal of mine recently worked for 3 months in Ca. and all he could say was that they are all completely mad. Your hagiography never even hints at such a conclusion.
0 Replies