New A2K Bugs

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm
@FreeDuck,
Evidently the whole read tracking thing is generally whacked. (Nonexistent.) It's probably my #1 frustration at this point. I typically A2K in short but intense bursts, and I'm spending way too much of my limited time re-reading things I've already read because I can't tell if there are unread posts or not.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:34 pm
@FreeDuck,
Are you talking about the orange dotted line under the last post time?

I think that has to do with whether the last post time is since your last login, not whether you've read the thread.

I believe Craven stated elsewhere that the new site does not track what you've read.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:35 pm
@sozobe,
Ok, that makes sense.

Yeah, it's a frustration for me too -- mostly because I also can't tell who the last poster is so I have to try to remember when I posted and look to see if the timestamp seems recent enough to be new. But I'm getting used to stuff.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:36 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I believe Craven stated elsewhere that the new site does not track what you've read.

Well, that would be the problem right there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:37 pm
@FreeDuck,
My post came out a little too peevish -- I'm actually liking the new site and am not generally frustrated with it. This one thing is a consistent "grrr..."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:02 pm
So, a thumbs down removes the post from view?

I was messing with Firebug again and accidentally clicked the thumbs down on sozobe's last post (sorry soz) and it's gone. Wow, ok.

Anyway, I was going to say that your earlier post didn't sound peevish to me.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:02 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
I've been playing with Firebug here just out of curiosity. I can't reproduce it reliably but scrolling a lot does help make it happen. If you take out the "overflow:hidden" style it fixes itself. God only knows what that does to IE though.

The bug is almost perfectly reproducible.

1. I go to a post, and click on the number of your post (e.g. # 3,359,594)
2. I reload the page, set to your post, bypassing the cache (holding down Shift, clicking Reload)

There's the bug. Then tried the same thing just going to the top of a page (e.g. page 3 of this thread), and the same thing happened.... nimh's avatar/hand icons were affected.

However, it didn't always happen, or on every page.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:05 pm
@old europe,
Yes, it can be reproduced, just not reliably. Which is what you said too.
old europe

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:14 pm
@FreeDuck,
Kinda reliably, for me: on page 3 of this thread, it always seems to be nimh's avatar/icons that are affected. On page 4, it's always your avatar/icons.

Clicking on any kind of thing (#-link, etc.) on the page causes the browser to fix it, though. When you're further down on the page while reloading, it looks like the thumbs are placed correctly, and then, when the avatar loads, they get displaced.

<scratches head>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
Your screen shot is showing a week filter.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:51 pm
A mistake must have occurred when transposing the old forum names into tag names now: there's 819 threads tagged with "enviroment" (instead of environment). Typo I guess!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:54 pm
@nimh,
I've been happily Laughing adding environment tags to threads tagged enviroment while I wait for some paint to dry. That, and tagging random old threads as I browse around.

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:49 pm
@ehBeth,
I've been tagging (and voting) away most of the night as well - but 819 enviroment threads is a bit too daunting even for someone as anal as me Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:53 pm
@nimh,
Clearly there are different spellings - I've not seen it as 'enviroment' - and both should be added.

Not to sound dictatorial when I'm a knownot, but guessing both would be useful.
jespah

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 03:49 am
@ossobuco,
There are going to be misspelled tags (think of "deprovera" for "depo provera"). And that's okay; people are going to misspell words when hunting around.
nimh

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:26 am
@jespah,
OK, I get that - having a misspelled tag in can be useful for people who will misspell the tag they're looking for.

But I mean, this is a bit of a special case isnt it? It's not an odd thread here or there with a misspelled tag. 800+ threads that were erroneously tagged "enviroment" automatically, I guess because of a typo when the forum names were automatically transposed to tags?

Sure people will be tagging some of those threads with the right spelling over time, but I mean, thats a lot of threads that willl go without the right one for a long time to come. Isnt there an automatised way to search all threads tagged "enviroment" and automatically add the tag "environment"?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:31 am
@nimh,
Quote:
819 enviroment threads is a bit too daunting even for someone as anal as me

start at the top, I'll start at the bottom
we'll stop sleeping for a day or so ... Smile

enviroment/enviromental
yup there are a lot of them
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:33 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Clearly there are different spellings - I've not seen it as 'enviroment' - and both should be added.

enviroment is just wrong

I've already outed myself as a language snob, so I know it doesn't make everyone's teeth grind
jespah

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:11 pm
@nimh,
Oh the misspellings bug me, too, but hey, they happen.

There's probably a programmatic way of changing such things; might want to suggest it to Nick on his "I'm the developer" topic so he sees it more readily. I will tell you that it's probably not going to be the highest priority right now -- I suspect the priority is for him and Craven to get some rest.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 03:48 pm
@DrewDad,
There was a bug involving the ignore / un-ignore button that affected Internet Explorer. This has been corrected, and now the button should work in all browsers. Let me know if you are still having problems.