New cockroach species,impervious to cold, invades NYC

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:30 pm
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2013/1209/Periplaneta-japonica-New-cockroach-in-town-sneers-at-a-New-York-winter

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/content/2013/12092013-cockroach.jpg/17609209-1-eng-US/12092013-cockroach.JPG_full_380.jpg

Quote:

Periplaneta japonica: Biologists identify a species of cockroach in New York City that can reportedly survive a winter there, according to a report released Monday. The newcomer is from Asia. Might it evict its American cousin?

roger

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:14 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Maybe they can be trained to eat bedbugs.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:15 pm
@roger,
Yeah. Oughta be good for somethin'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:18 pm
Cockroaches, any and all of them... are among my foot stomping best targets.

I had them in my first apartment (something about the sink plumbing in the tack-on place behind a duplex), which is why I left. Didn't see them again for, oh, forty years. Have them here, but in control. Knock on wood.

What do peta people have to say about cockroaches, I wonder.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:24 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
What do peta people have to say about cockroaches, I wonder.

They probably have bigger fish to fry Wink
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 06:05 pm
@rosborne979,
In the last year, say, five this summer, my cockroaches have been blonder.

Does this mean dumber? I won't count on that.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 08:58 pm
@roger,
or republicans?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 09:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
They don't look like real bugs in that photo. They look far too cubist to me. So not a good thing. At least New York cock roaches look like actual bugs. Shocked
roger

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 09:24 pm
@Ragman,
This Republican stomps them flat and mounts the bodies on poles as an example to the rest. The ones that escape the beloved and hungry spiders. The cats resent this. They enjoy gazing at them in rapture, and sometimes even give them a paw nudge to keep them moving.

Cats are weird.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 02:28 pm
@roger,
In one of the places I lived on this island, a gecko, uninvited, had taken up residence in my room. I'd see him scurrying across my ceiling or up the cinder-block wall. I kept my windows wide open but had no problem at all with cockroaches or any other kind of insect.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 02:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's the good kind of squatter you had there Andrew. Paid his/her rent in exterminating services. Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 03:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
My cats would chase your gecko off, and continue enjoying the company of all creatures with more than four feet.

Spawn of Satan indeed!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 03:26 pm
Back in Venice, I hated the screens on the windows. (Here in Abq I'd like those back, they were the real metal kind). We took them off, to try it out, windows on great days often wide open. We did get flies, but they left post haste, more items in the yard for their interests. We threw the screens out.

Competition, the stuff of life.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

They don't look like real bugs in that photo. They look far too cubist to me. So not a good thing. At least New York cock roaches look like actual bugs. Shocked

OK. Here's a better photo:
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/files/2013/12/weird-and-wild-alien-cockroach-invading-us-s2048x1859-p-600x544.jpg

And here is National Geographic's take on the beasties.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

OK. Here's a better photo:
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/files/2013/12/weird-and-wild-alien-cockroach-invading-us-s2048x1859-p.jpg

And here is National Geographic's take on the beasties.
roger

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I sure hope that's an enlargement. That thing might play with my cats instead of the other way around.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 07:06 pm
@roger,
That second photo looks extra scary on a cell phone screen. Neutral
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 07:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
That second post was supposed to have been deleted. (Too late now, I think). It's merely a blowup of the same critter that you see on the left in the first post.Not sure how much that has been enlarged. Check the Nat'l Geographic site I linked to.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 07:54 pm
These were invading Florida a few years ago. Don't know if they have taken over yet though.
http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/005/cache/hissing-cockroach_574_600x450.jpg
0 Replies