Love in the Aisles at Supermarkets

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:43 am
Love in the Aisles as Supermarket Dating Hits Paris
Reuters 9/15/03

PARIS (Reuters) - Supermarket dating, where singletons can check each other out via the contents of their trolleys, flirt while weighing vegetables and even walk down the aisles together, is coming to Paris.

Lafayette Gourmet, the food hall at the Galeries Lafayettes department store in Paris, is about to unleash the concept on the worldwide capital of romance.

Single shoppers will be identified on Thursday evenings by special purple shopping baskets decorated with a cartoon of a kissing couple, and offered a glass of champagne and a free photograph if they succeed in hooking up with a potential mate.

"We noticed that we have an evening clientele buying single portions of fresh food, so we decided the demand is there," Lafayette Gourmet Director Sylvain Gaudu told Reuters.

Paris, home to around 900,000 singles, many of whom are increasingly working hours as long as in London and New York, has already been introduced to speed dating and online dating.

The "dating market" shopping evenings, an idea imported from the Netherlands, will be jointly run from October 2 with Yahoo!, which already has an online dating service in France.

Once shoppers have made eyes at each other through the cereal packets or brushed past each other at the cheese counter, they will be able to chat each other up openly in the queue for a special checkout counter reserved for singletons.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,061 • Replies: 5
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:46 am
Looking for love in S.F.
This is nothing new. The San Francisco Marina Safeway store was for many years the favorite place for strolling the aisles looking for love.

Which are the "shopping for love" stores in your areas?

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:06 am
Ha! Do they really need a different basket? How funny.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:10 am
Kinda takes all the guess work out of what can I say/do and not look silly to maybe meet the guy...you know like a great big sign that says Im single and looking...you?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:16 am
I show you mine if you show me yrs......shopping basket Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:16 am
Yeah, I guess so. I don't flirt with random guys because everytime I do, it turns out they're someone's SO.
0 Replies