What's your take on this?

Mame

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:25 am
I got back from my week off and found that the temporary cook, who has worked with this consulting expediting company for a few years, has totally reorganized my kitchen to her liking (where food and equipment goes). She also ordered some small appliances, bought some new baking pans, as well as a new fridge and stove, thrown out some of my knives, my food scale, and changed some systems I had in place.

I think this was somewhat presumptuous of her since she's only here one week out of five and may not even replace me on my next week off.

I don't really care about the reorganization, as long as I can find everything, but to throw out my equipment? To make such sweeping changes for one week of work? The motel manager found my knives and some baking pans in the garbage and I just don't understand why she'd take it upon herself to throw them out and buy the ones she likes - why not just put them aside for my return? I wanted to use my food scale this morning and can't find it anywhere. Why toss a food scale??

I understand that each person does things the way they like them, but she is just replacing me temporarily after all.

What are your thoughts on her behaviour? I'm really curious. Am I out of line here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,726 • Replies: 40
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:27 am
You are not out of line at all. If I was in your shoes I would be pissed as hell, as well as having sore feet.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:31 am
smack the bitch.

if you dont confront her she'll do it again and again, who knows what she will toss next?

whos payin for that ****?

whos property is it?

whos missing out when they need to do something with a certain peice of equipment?

NOT the other person, you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:31 am
I'd be pissed too. Throwing out your things? That's just the worst part, all of it is bullshit.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:36 am
Plus is there some sort of budget you are operating under? Has she spent money that you could've/ planned to use on other things?

Seems really inappropriate.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:37 am
Mame
I would say your narcissist cook is stupid and ambitious, a deadly combination.

BBB
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
if its a guy you definitely need to nip it in the bud.

they are more territorial, and respect chain of command more.

and they dont hesitate to move up if there is a power vacuum.

every guy i know has a "im gonna use and abuse the situation or person until i get punished or called out on it" attitude.

if you let it slide.. there will be hell to pay.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
Weird and rude.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:40 am
I'd be mad too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:40 am
Mame
Demand she buy you a new food scale and tell her to keep her fists off of your property and don't reorganize your kitchen or she will be replaced by a non-idiot cook.

BBB
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:42 am
I think we should all get together and give this person a good ol' fashioned ass kickin'.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:43 am
i hear that!

after that im gonna need the help of the a2k mob over here in vegas..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:48 am
Well, I'm not mad - more annoyed and nonplussed about the behaviour. I'm not understanding her motivation. She seems to be trying to establish control of a kitchen that's not hers. And I'm not territorial about it - it IS just a camp kitchen, after all. It's just not something I would even think of doing so I don't understand her.

Her family has worked for this company for several years as a replacement cook -- they have a First Aid Training company and they supply the training and equipment for the consulting company as well as temp cooks. So she has a standing with them that I don't, but I don't see how this gives her the right or the reason to change another cook's kitchen to that extent.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:49 am
taking advantage.

is my guess.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:50 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I think we should all get together and give this person a good ol' fashioned ass kickin'.

I'll fly you up here, baby, and watch while you give her a good talking to.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
Mame, it's not so much her behavior in rearranging the kitchen, but rather the fact that she threw away something that did not belong to her. Would yo do something like that in a similar situation? Of course not.

This sounds like a stupid, thoughtless person to me.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:54 am
Mame wrote:
Well, I'm not mad - more annoyed and nonplussed about the behaviour. I'm not understanding her motivation. She seems to be trying to establish control of a kitchen that's not hers. And I'm not territorial about it - it IS just a camp kitchen, after all. It's just not something I would even think of doing so I don't understand her.

Her family has worked for this company for several years as a replacement cook -- they have a First Aid Training company and they supply the training and equipment for the consulting company as well as temp cooks. So she has a standing with them that I don't, but I don't see how this gives her the right or the reason to change another cook's kitchen to that extent.

Sounds like you are dealing with an alpha female. Wach out.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:58 am
Yeah, it's probably just that basic, gus. Thanks.

I lent my car to a girlfriend here for the week I was gone and when I got back I found she had filled it up, vacuumed it and washed it inside and out - it's perfectly spotless. What a sweetie. I'm off to her place to go thank her. Thank God for decent people. I'm embarrassed she felt it needed cleaning though, which it did! Embarrassed
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:00 am
Mame wrote:

Your attitude is very pragmatic, Mame.

(but you must have realized that Gus would become emotional and lose all perspective)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:21 am
I wonder if she's trying to start a conflict with you, Mame. Does she want your job?
0 Replies