How to ask for friends

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 02:24 pm
I haven't made any friends since I was in high school 30 years ago and don't know what to say or do or how to act? I am dining out with a casual female aquaintance this week, and would like to ask them to be my friend, how do you suggest I do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 706 • Replies: 15
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 04:19 pm
I'm no social butterfly Smitty, but I don't think you 'ask' someone to be your friend. Friendships are borne out of a regularity of consensual contact that is more or less spontaneously initiated by either party (preferably by both equally). I hope someone with some actual friends will buy into this one.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 04:37 pm
hingehead wrote:
I hope someone with some actual friends will buy into this one.

Do we have any of those people on A2K?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 04:38 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 05:01 pm
Smitty, we joke. Sorry. Asking for help with social interactions on an online forum is interesting. While we have a vast membership to learn from, we are a bunch of people who know each other electronically. Asking here is good because you remain anonymous unless you decide not to be.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:30 am
Make it official, with a friendship bracelet!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:35 am
Will you be my friend, Gargamel?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:50 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Will you be my friend, Gargamel?

What color bracelet would like, Gus?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:50 am
Anything but green and gold.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:54 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I must say, though you were missed, you couldn't have timed your hiatus more perfectly, in light of recent events.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:54 pm
I agree with hingehead.
You can't ask her to be your friend. That would freak her out. Just be friendly, make sure you two have a good time, and its bound to naturally become a friendship.

Or... if you want her to know you value her companionship, just say a Thank You at the end of your dining-out and mention that you'd love to do this again.
Nothing more than that.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 03:54 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I find this racially offensive. Put up your dukes!

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/images/uploads/avatars/4102_1436_boxing-kangaroo_m.gif
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 03:57 pm
Smitty, come back.... talk to us.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 04:01 pm
loveislikearose3 wrote:

Or... if you want her to know you value her companionship, just say a Thank You at the end of your dining-out and mention that you'd love to do this again.
Nothing more than that.

I should add that I would only do this if we both had genuinely had a good time. Insincerity blows. I'm guessing you are opposite genders, if friendship is truly what you want I'd be careful that your desire for friendship isn't misinterpreted as a desire for something more romantic.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:23 pm
hingehead wrote:
I should add that I would only do this if we both had genuinely had a good time. Insincerity blows. I'm guessing you are opposite genders, if friendship is truly what you want I'd be careful that your desire for friendship isn't misinterpreted as a desire for something more romantic.

Yeah, I agree. But it seems to me that Smitty really wants to keep this friendship going, which means that no matter if it was really a great time or not, he would love to go out with him/her again, anyways.
But yes, the last point was perfect. You definitely don't want to give the wrong impression.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 05:12 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I too object. but not all that strenuously.

http://eclectech.co.uk/b3ta/drunkkangaroo.jpg
0 Replies