Should doctors make more money than nurses?

Miller

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 09:27 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 768 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
I think I read somewhere years ago that those countries that have a history of wars have a history of nursing, since prior to antibiotics, the way wounds were treated was by continuously changing bandages, and nurses were needed for that function. I thought that meant that, for example, countries in Latin America that do not have a history of large armies fighting wars also have no history of a sizable nursing profession?

Based on the above, the old European powers and the U.S. might be the main countries with a history of a nursing profession?

If that is true, who does what in the other countries' health care system? Doctors?

Regardless, I do not believe nurses will continue to make more than doctors, since the economics will adjust, based on the desire to spend less on the total cost of nurses. Or is this just semantics, and the term nurse now includes professional skills that were once the function of someone with another title, and perhaps was paid more than nurses of today? In other words, are nurses making more today, but it is really a savings for the health care system, since they are today functioning like a higher priced professional of yesterday?
Miller

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:10 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
are nurses making more today, but it is really a savings for the health care system

In the short term, there will be savings, but in the long term it won't be cost effective.
0 Replies