Why Won't Anyone Say What We All Know?

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:52 am
We have a 2002 Jeep Liberty. Not the best on icy snowy roads, but man you take that sucker off road and you know you're in a Jeep, even if it's a bit of a girlie truck. It can go just about anywhere and not get stuck.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:56 am
cjhsa wrote:
BMW 325e (e stands for ETA or "efficient").

"Eta" is a Greek letter which describes the ratio between the useful output of an energy conversion machine and the input, in energy terms

http://i34.tinypic.com/23swzyc.jpg

At least that's what BMW say why they used this type designation.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
aka efficiency.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:14 am
cjhsa wrote:
aka efficiency.

Though English is quite common in Germany, we still have our own vocabulary. And the Bayerischen Motorenwerke just though, using a wellknown Greek letter would make it easier to sell the car abroad.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:34 am
solar power + electric cars IS THE SOLUTION.

but GAH whats that you say? the oil tycoons will lose their grip on world eve\ents and the global exconomy? so they are doing everything possible to delay/postpone destroy any chance of that happenng?

there you have it. what are we doing to make it feasible?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:11 pm
I think there are many things that must be done together to solve this issue. One is development. We can't keep living and working a tank of gas apart. We can't keep eating fruits and vegetables from Mexico in Vermont. Our supply lines are too long, for both goods and labor.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:19 pm
I try to eat locally. It's hard though - local grocers sell what they are offered, and though asparagus might be just coming on in Michigan, they're selling stuff from California.

It is, however, a benefit of the hunt/fish/outdoor lifestyle. You definitely shop and eat locally when you do that. My goal this fall is to put at least two deer in the freezer. My son just finished his hunter's safety course (he got a perfect score on the test, youngest in the class to do so), so hopefully we can each get at least one.

I've often said that I think Alice Waters and Ted Nugent would make an odd but good pairing for a food show. Though their politics are eons apart, their focus on local, sustainable food and agriculture are remarkably similar.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:21 pm
Now see there, cj. If you weren't so busy hating liberals you might find out that you actually agree with them.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:23 pm
I agree with them enough to be considered a "moderate" and thus I'm hated on conservative sites as well. Surprised?

I freely admit I don't like the Dems we have in Congress right now. Far left pigs. The R's aren't much better, but at least they're working.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:32 pm
Working on selling our prosperity to the highest bidder while setting up golden parachutes for them and theirs, you mean?

Politicians are politicians, but people basically have similar concerns. We just can't see it because we're too busy being dicks to one another.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:40 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Working on selling our prosperity to the highest bidder while setting up golden parachutes for them and theirs, you mean?

Politicians are politicians, but people basically have similar concerns. We just can't see it because we're too busy being dicks to one another.

See my thread "Sheeps in Sheep's Clothing".
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:40 pm
every individual needs to be able to feed themself self sufficiently

one of my biggest things about society, how are you gonna depend on mexico to feed you?

what happens when the gas runs out?

STARVE? WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:47 pm
Um, I said this. You never listen to me. it's almost like we're married or something...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:36 pm
ogi asked :

Quote:
how are you gonna depend on mexico to feed you?

the answer is :

JOBS IN MEXICO

when we left for canada , a good friend of mine left for mexico .
at age 50 he returned to germany to live "the life of riley" !

Quote:
lead/live the life of Riley -
to have a happy life without hard work, problems or worries
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:22 am
Re: Why Won't Anyone Say What We All Know?
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
There IS no goddam short term solution to oil prices.... and every day we do nothing postpones the development of a long term solution.

Because the people focused on the long term have their heads down working on solutions.

I expect that nobody's as scared of high oil prices than OPEC. The higher oil goes, the more cost effective all other types of energy become.

Once you start implementing, efficiencies will increase and economies of scale will begin to take effect. And then where does that leave OPEC? Let's hope they don't piss away the results of their oil boom the way Texans have....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:32 am
I'll agree with you on that DD. Houston is a classic example of that - with no zoning in effect, it is a mishmash of crap and looks like hell.

I had some friends who worked in the area for a while. They told another friend the lived in a "suburb" of Houston, to which he replied "That's like saying the outside of the asshole doesn't smell as bad as the center".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:35 am
Houston and Corpus Christi are definitely not our garden spots.
0 Replies