Why Won't Anyone Say What We All Know?

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:20 am
There IS no goddam short term solution to oil prices.... and every day we do nothing postpones the development of a long term solution.

Gas and oil and everything that is associated with it price wise is going to go up and continue to go up. It is going to negatively impact our lifestyles for the forseeable future. Suck it up folks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,796 • Replies: 36
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:27 am
Price going down here....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:30 am
going down here as well... but for how long? And I don't call going down .20 a gallon temporarily anything to get excited about. If gas goes from 4.00 a gallon to 3.80 a gallon that saves me 260.00 a year BFD.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:34 am
Better than the other way
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:36 am
cjhsa wrote:
Price going down here....

And as the price continues to go down consumption will rise. Then we're right back where we were. No problem, cj?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:37 am
How about we increase the supply side there ducky?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:41 am
and here comes the usual debate... all ideas and suggestions USELESS for the short term.....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:48 am
cjhsa wrote:
How about we increase the supply side there ducky?

Yes, why roll slowly off a cliff when you can put the pedal to the metal and speed hungrily toward your spectacular destruction.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:49 am
I'm thinking the big 3 automakers should just build autos with bigger fuel tanks, consumers can then drive further stopping less often to fill their tanks and think (like shiksa) they are saving money.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
dyslexia wrote:
I'm thinking the big 3 automakers should just build autos with bigger fuel tanks, consumers can then drive further stopping less often to fill their tanks and think (like shiksa) they are saving money.

I bet Obama will steal your idea and call it his own.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
I think that it's stupid to always fill up the tank - I just buy diesel for 10 Euros .... never paid more!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:54 am
Please... all of you ... buy your electric cars. Then gas will be cheap and plentiful again.

Maybe we should go back to steam engines. Coal is cheap.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:55 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I think that it's stupid to always fill up the tank - I just buy diesel for 10 Euros .... never paid more!

????

I never want less than 1/2 tank. It's part of my survival instinct. But you wouldn't understand.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:58 am
cjhsa wrote:
Please... all of you ... buy your electric cars. Then gas will be cheap and plentiful again.

Maybe we should go back to steam engines. Coal is cheap.

Maybe we could just stop wasting so much damn energy. Why do we have to accept extreme inefficiency as the American way?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:01 am
All my vehicles get 20MPG or better on the freeway. I wish they did better, but in snow you need AWD/4WD and it eats gas. Maybe we should all move to warm climates and sleep under our desks.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:03 am
Good for you.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
In fact my daily driver (at least when it's not too hot - the A/C is broken) is a 1984 BMW 325e (e stands for ETA or "efficient"). It gets 32MPG at 80MPH on the freeway.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:37 am
H2O_MAN wrote :

Quote:
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:

I bet Obama will steal your idea and call it his own.

there may be no need for obama to steal dys' idea . the BIG THREE may have a solution of their own a/t CNN - MONEY .

CNN - MONEY reports :

Quote:
Big Three face bankruptcy fears
After huge losses and plunging sales, experts aren't ruling out the possibility that GM, Ford or Chrysler might eventually be forced to declare bankruptcy.
By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer
Last Updated: August 6, 2008: 10:00 AM EDT
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- It's been a bumpy road for Detroit's Big Three automakers for the past few years. But it may get worse.

Some experts fear that GM, Ford and Chrysler - their sales plunging as fewer consumers buy gas-guzzling pickups and SUVs - could be forced to head for bankruptcy.

Last week, General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) reported a $15.5 billion second quarter net loss. While its operating loss was only $6.3 billion, that's still more than the market value of the company.

GM's loss followed an $8.7 billion loss at Ford Motor (F, Fortune 500) and came on the same day that the industry reported a 13% drop in sales, its worst month in 16 years.

Chrysler LLC, which was bought by private equity group Cerberus Capital a year ago and does not report financial results, relies even more heavily on sales of light trucks, such as pickups and SUVs, than do GM and Ford. Chrysler also has virtually no overseas sales to fall back upon.

As such, the credit markets have expressed doubts about Chrysler's prospects, as its finance arm was recently able to raise only $24 billion of the $30 billion it sought. The company has stopped offering leases to its customers due to credit market concerns and the declining value its used vehicles.

article in full :
THE BIG THREE

commentators on MSNBC were saying this morning that "inside talk" has it that G.M. and FORD are hoping for CHRYSLER go down soon so they will have less competition - and may gain some breathing space for themselves .
hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:41 am
That figures. Chrysler builds the best cars of all of them. Plus they've got Jeep - truly a great brand.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:48 am
cj wrote :

Quote:
Plus they've got Jeep - truly a great brand

a/t MSNBC , GM already has its eyes on the JEEP ! :wink:
hbg
0 Replies