Upper Gastro. Discomfort

mogs493

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:02 pm
I have been having discomfort in my upper left side of my abdomen for about three months. I went to my doctor, who has run blood tests, ultrasounds, and Upper GI. He can not find anything. He believes that it is heartburn. I have been on prilosec and it does not help. I usually have the discomfort after eating.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 765 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:48 am
Ask your doctor to refer you to a gastroenterologist.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 06:24 am
Re: Upper Gastro. Discomfort
mogs493 wrote:
I usually have the discomfort after eating.

What have you been eating?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:33 am
mogs493- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

If you are already on Prilosec, and you still have pain, you need to look into it further. A gastro doc will give you an endoscopy, which will show you (in living color) what the state of your insides are.

Don't wait. Often if you catch a problem before it becomes too deeply rooted, the cure is much easier. Good luck!
0 Replies

mogs493

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:40 pm
I have had an endoscopy done.
Phoenix32890 wrote:
mogs493- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

If you are already on Prilosec, and you still have pain, you need to look into it further. A gastro doc will give you an endoscopy, which will show you (in living color) what the state of your insides are.

Don't wait. Often if you catch a problem before it becomes too deeply rooted, the cure is much easier. Good luck!

I had an endoscopy done. The doctor saw some red spots. He believes that it is heartburn and a slight hiatel hernia. It also bothers me if I don't eat for a while.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:48 pm
Re: Upper Gastro. Discomfort
Miller wrote:
mogs493 wrote:
I usually have the discomfort after eating.

What have you been eating?

I think Miller's question has some relevance to your problem.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:36 pm
See a gastroenterologist, please.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
ossobuco wrote:
See a gastroenterologist, please.

What osso said is the best advise you ca get; your health is number one priority.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:18 am
Use your health insurance wisely.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:50 am
I worked at the VA in DC for awhile and we did endoscopy studies on patients with Gastro-esophageal reflux Disease, better known in the medical field as GERD. Patients frequently had hiatal hernias and some had narrowing of the esophagus. Certain medications, alcohol and certain foods can exacerbate symptoms. If Prilosec doesn't help, there are other medications. Be sure to check with a gastroenterologist about any other meds you are on.

Also raising the head of your bed while sleeping can help the burning symptoms and help you sleep.

I hope to hear you are feeling better. Listen to Osso and keep getting care.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:22 am
What Vietnamnurse also reminded me about not eating for several hours before you go to bed to reduce heartburn.
Miller

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 01:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
Good idea.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:46 am
@mogs493,
Quote:
I had an endoscopy done. The doctor saw some red spots. He believes that it is heartburn and a slight hiatel hernia. It also bothers me if I don't eat for a while.

If your schedule can handle it, you might want to try spreading your meals.................having six small meals instead of three large ones. Here are foods to avoid if you have GERD:

Quote:
Fried and fatty foods
Spicy foods
Onions
Citrus fruits
Alcoholic drinks
Coffee
Chocolate
Peppermint and spearmint
Caffeinated drinks
Tomato-based products

http://www.prevacid.com/ard/ard-foods-to-avoid.aspx