whats your opinion of this? woman shot holding child by swat

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:38 am
woman shot on knees holding baby

Experts testify that woman was on knees when Lima officer fired gun
Posted by Associated Press July 31, 2008 10:45AM
Categories: Crime
Lima, Ohio -- A woman shot and killed by a police officer during a drug raid was likely on her knees and complying with a SWAT team's orders to get down when she was hit in the neck and chest, two experts testified Wednesday at the officer's trial.

A forensic pathologist and firearms expert each said that bullet wounds indicate that Tarika Wilson, 26, wasn't standing.

Sgt. Joseph Chavalia has pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor counts of negligent homicide and negligent assault. He faces up to eight months in jail if convicted of both counts.

Prosecutors rested their case Wednesday. Defense testimony will begin today.

The shooting during a drug raid in January set off protests and debate about race relations in the city, where one in four residents is black.

Wilson, who was black, was unarmed and holding her 1-year-old son when she was shot. The boy also was hit and had a finger amputated.

She was partially behind a door in an upstairs bedroom with her five other children when officers downstairs began shooting at two pit bulls.

Chavalia, who is white, told another officer that he thought the shots were coming from the bedroom.

"I said, 'Joe, what happened?' " testified Lt. Chip Protsman, the commander of the SWAT team. "He said, 'They were firing at me from the bedroom, and I shot back.' "

Protsman said he found Chavalia alone in the middle of the hallway while other officers were running into the bedroom.

Chavalia was coming up a stairway when he shot Wilson.

Eleven officers raided the house on Jan. 4 looking for her boyfriend, Anthony Terry. He was arrested and pleaded guilty in March to charges of drug trafficking.

When is american going to stop the idiotic drug war? why is it happening in the first place?

can we please try to refrain from profiting from hurting and killing people?

is that to much to ask, america?

I guess it is just business as usual...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 714 • Replies: 10
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:40 am
oh yeah, i forget to bold "shooting at 2 pitbulls"

they kill one of my dogs, im gonna track them down and decapitate them.

Very Happy

true story.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:42 am
police officer aquited

LIMA, Ohio August 4, 2008, 07:08 pm ET ยท A white police officer was acquitted Monday in the drug-raid shooting death of an unarmed black woman that set off protests about how police treat minorities in a city where one in four residents is black.

The all-white jury found Sgt. Joseph Chavalia not guilty of misdemeanor charges of negligent homicide and negligent assault. He had faced up to eight months in jail if convicted of both counts.

Chavalia shot 26-year-old Tarika Wilson and her year-old son she was holding, killing her and hitting him in the shoulder and hand, during a Jan. 4 SWAT raid on her house. One of the child's fingers had to be amputated.

Officers had been looking for Wilson's boyfriend, a suspected drug dealer.

Wilson's family members stormed out of Allen County Common Pleas Court before visiting Judge Richard Knepper finished dismissing the jury.

Outside the courthouse, Wilson's brother, Ivory Austin said he wasn't surprised by the verdict.

"Now he (Chavalia) gets to get back on with his life," he said. "He took my sister's life."

He said he was hoping someone from the police department would at least admit a mistake was made.

"I'm not saying he went up there to kill her," Austin said.

Lima Police Chief Greg Garlock said the jury made the right decision.

"They confirmed what our sense was and our belief was in this," he said.

Prosecutors said Chavalia recklessly fired into a bedroom where Wilson and her six children were gathered.

He fired three times at her even though he could not clearly see her or whether she had a weapon, prosecutor Jeffrey Strausbaugh said. "He couldn't tell Tarika had a child in her arms," he said during closing arguments Monday.

Chavalia had testified that he thought his life was in danger when he fired the shots. He said he saw a shadow coming from behind a partially open bedroom door and heard gunshots that he thought were aimed at him. It turned out the gunfire he heard was coming from downstairs, where officers shot two charging pit bulls.

Following the shooting, many residents accused the police department of being hostile and abusive toward minorities. One group led a series of marches through the city to protest what they said was mistreatment by police.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson visited the city and demanded that the officer who fired the fatal shots and those who planned the raid be held accountable. Chavalia was the only person charged.

Black clergy leaders had criticized the two misdemeanor charges as too lenient.

Defense attorney Bill Kluge told jurors Monday that Chavalia should not be judged on what wasn't known until after shooting, including the fact that Wilson did not have a gun or pose a threat.

"It's Monday morning quarterbacking," he told jurors. "Put yourself in Joe's shoes that night."

The jury's decision, he said in closing statements, will affect officers across Ohio.

"What kind of world would it be if we didn't have police officers," Kluge said. "Joe was doing his duty."

Wilson's boyfriend, Anthony Terry, was arrested and pleaded guilty in March to charges of drug trafficking.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:44 am
and thats why i give respect to people who shoot police officers.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:45 am
seriously. why can police murder people over money and not anyone else? i hate double stanards.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:47 am
Sounds like "Ruby Ridge"
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:50 am
oh god, ruby ridge hahaha not close but seriously thats cool police can murder people holding babies isnt it? imagine if you or me did that, we would never see the light of day again, unless it was inside a prison...

police now days are just a joke, a shell of their former selves.

what the hell happened?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:54 am
they didnt even admit a mistake was made.

he shot a baby for cryin out loud! dear god... hopefulyl when he gets up to go to work a semi smashes his vehicle into tiny bits and he has to live inside his own mind paralyzed for a few decades.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:57 am
You are right. Not a good comparison. Maybe they'll get a medal when they kill a baby.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:58 am
i wouldnt doubt if they literally got a medal for that raid.

what a joke.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 07:15 am
Lima is very close to me. Front page of my paper this morning already shows the protesters taking up position in front of the courthouse. Made me wish I was joining them, really.

In a town where OVER 25% of the population is black....we haven't seen the end of this by a long shot. Though I don't think it would have mattered if the woman and child had been black or white. The cop would have gotten away with it. I have friends that live in Lima, that told me last night they had most of their cops on OT and it didn't matter what side of town you were on .....they made themselves highly visible. I think I'll be staying out of Lima for awhile. I don't wanna be anywhere around when the lid blows off. And it will.

Pretty damn sad. Just flippin horribly sickening.
0 Replies