Democrat/Republican Practice/Theory

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:16 pm
old europe wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
If you want to have an impact... you need to accept the world you live in.

Seems to me that the world we live in was, for better or worse, mostly shaped by people who didn't accept the world they lived in.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:19 pm
A third party isn't going to help politicians "deliver" policy.

Passing legislation is designed to be very hard. It takes 60 votes in the Senate to get legislation passed, and the house is set up with plenty of obstacles. This is not always a bad thing... it is that lots of bills that you would find troubling, even though they have plenty of support in the American public, aren't law. I have been thankful for this on many occasions.

A third party with Congressional seats would make it that much harder to get bills through. Hardly a solution.

Politicians largely vote according to the wishes of their constituents, and they are held accountable.

The system works the way it was set up, and it represents the voters (whether this is a good thing is up for debate).

A third party certainly isn't going to change this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:24 pm
I don't accept that they can't improve, instead of destroy SS a bit at a time, no matter how many explanations I receive.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:25 pm
Robert, I like that quote.

Please read the response I wrote to OE clarifying my point.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:41 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't accept that they can't improve, instead of destroy SS a bit at a time, no matter how many explanations I receive.

I don't see how a third party helps this... in fact I think that in this case, a third party is particularly harmful.

The Democrats in Congress are (in my opinion) voting the right way to protect social security. If you (as a voter) give the Democrats a super majority in the Senate, you will see these votes have a greater effect.

A third party isn't going to do any better than the Democrats in Congress. In fact, they will probably be less effective.

The Democrats are the good guys. The more power they have to get by obstacles put up by the Republicans, the better. Weakening the Democrats because they don't have enough votes to overcome a filibuster is a big step in the wrong direction.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:42 pm
SS has been weakened by Democrats, not just Republicans.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 10:07 pm
Re: Democrat/Republican Practice/Theory
edgarblythe wrote:
I hope to influence as many potential voters as possible, to hold out for a true party of the people

Apparently something is only 'of the people' if it agrees with you?

Otherwise, it is 'of something other than people' , eh?

So who are the voters in your present party? Apes? Fish? Oranges?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 10:13 pm
Party affiliation is critical why...?

Your current party is in for troubles RL...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:58 am
Re: Democrat/Republican Practice/Theory
real life wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
I hope to influence as many potential voters as possible, to hold out for a true party of the people

Apparently something is only 'of the people' if it agrees with you?

Otherwise, it is 'of something other than people' , eh?

So who are the voters in your present party? Apes? Fish? Oranges?

I don't make monkeys. I feed them peanuts through the bars.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:32 am
Rockhead wrote:

I'm an independent.

What is going to happen to us?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:35 am
real life wrote:
Rockhead wrote:

I'm an independent.

The obvious answer is that you and Edgar will form a third pary-- and you will post your agreed upon platform here shortly.

The problem, of course, is that there is no "us". Independents aren't a group.

My hope is that the left-leaning independents join the Democratic effort and work to make the Democratic party more progressive. We need their voice, financial support and help to elect more progressive candidates within the party.

My hope is that the right-leaning independents will get angrier and more isolated. We need them to continue griping about the Republicans, causing contentious debates about who is a conservative and forming third parties.

There is a lot of work to do, and the Democrats are the party that is moving forward (albeit slowly) on progressive ideals.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:52 pm
real life wrote:
Rockhead wrote:

I'm an independent.

Isn't that a laugh!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:45 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
real life wrote:
Rockhead wrote:

I'm an independent.

The obvious answer is that you and Edgar will form a third pary-- and you will post your agreed upon platform here shortly.

The problem, of course, is that there is no "us". Independents aren't a group.

My hope is that the left-leaning independents join the Democratic effort and work to make the Democratic party more progressive. We need their voice, financial support and help to elect more progressive candidates within the party.

My hope is that the right-leaning independents will get angrier and more isolated. We need them to continue griping about the Republicans, causing contentious debates about who is a conservative and forming third parties.

There is a lot of work to do, and the Democrats are the party that is moving forward (albeit slowly) on progressive ideals.

The farther to the left that the Dems push their candidates, the more that independents will be driven from them to a more centrist candidate like McCain.

Which is why Obama is in the process of (at least publicly) abandoning many of his 'principled' positions. Laughing

He turns out to be just the kind of chameleon that 'true believers' on the left despise.

Note to Edgar:

The Independent Party meeting was at my house today. Since you were absent, I was elected chairman, and you were appointed janitor. Laughing

I am writing the party platform and you will be in charge of changing the ink cartridge on the printer so we can make copies.

We will be putting the support of our organization behind McCain.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:05 pm
real life wrote:

The Independent Party meeting was at my house today.

The only thing independent about you, "real life" is that you don't need too much help memorizing Republican/conservative memes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:08 pm
There are true independents and there are those who claim to be so. I don't hold much in common with real life and the current crop of libertarians.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:14 pm
RL is a closet republican in an an independent disguise...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:20 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
There are true independents and there are those who claim to be so. I don't hold much in common with real life and the current crop of libertarians.

I'm no libertarian.

When was the last time you supported a Republican candidate, EB?

Give the wrong answer and Rockhead may label you a 'Democrat in disguise'. Laughing
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:23 pm
highly doubful, jackass...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:23 pm
I said rl and liertarians. Did not call you one.
It is ancient history the last time I supported a Republican. When will I do it again? Never, in the context of the current political landscape.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:25 pm
Rockhead wrote:
highly doubful, jackass...

apologies for spelling, but little else...

(EB was flippin' fast)
0 Replies