Even musicians have brains...LOL

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:20 am
http://www.livescience.com/space/080801-brian-may-doctorate.html

Quote:
The founder of the legendary rock band Queen has completed his doctoral thesis in astrophysics after taking a 30-year break to play some guitar.

Brian May's thesis examines the mysterious phenomenon known as Zodiacal light, a misty diffuse cone of light that appears in the western sky after sunset and in the eastern sky before sunrise. Casual observers, if they live under very dark rural skies, can best see the light two to three hours before sunrise as they look east, and many people have been fooled into seeing it as the first sign of morning twilight. A Persian astronomer who lived around the 12th century referred to it as "false dawn" in a poem.

I always did like their music.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 804 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
excuse me?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:07 am
Besides that ...
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
excuse me?

... Dr. Brian May was installed as Chancellor of the University of Liverpool on April 14, 2008; he got his BSc when he was twenty-something and his doctorate in 2007.

In April this year, he co-authored together with legendary astronomer Sir Patrick Moore and astrophysicist Chris Lintott Bang! The Complete History of the Universe.

Nevertheless: nice, MM, that you attest him to have a brain.

Edited: from wikipedia:
Quote:
May studied physics at Imperial College London, graduating with a B.Sc. (Hons) degree and ARCS with Upper Second-Class Honours. He then proceeded to study for a Ph.D, also at the Imperial College London departments of Physics and Mathematics, and was part way through this Ph.D programme, studying reflected light from interstellar dust and the velocity of dust in the plane of the Solar System, when Queen became successful. He abandoned his physics doctorate but did co-author two scientific research papers: MgI Emission in the Night-Sky Spectrum (1972) and An Investigation of the Motion of Zodiacal Dust Particles (Part I) (1973), which were based on May's observations in Tenerife. He is the co-author of "Bang! - The Complete History of the Universe" with Patrick Moore and Chris Lintott, which was published in October, 2006.[8] More than 30 years after he started his research, in October 2007 he completed his Ph.D. thesis, entitled A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud, passed his viva voce, and performed the required corrections.[9][10][11][12] He officially graduated at the postgraduate awards ceremony held in the Royal Albert Hall on the afternoon of Wednesday May 14, 2008.

On November 17, 2007, Brian May was appointed Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 03:47 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
excuse me?

Excuse you for what?
0 Replies