I just spent the last 2 days with people from Califorina?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:38 am
Few people in Los Angeles, much less all of southern California talk in Valley Girl speak.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:52 am
so...you never hear anyone pronounce do like dew, or have a ? mark in some of their speach?

I don't know why you keep bringing up Valley Girl osso, that's not what I'm talking about.

What then, do you hear when you listen to someone from Southern California?

Do they sound no different to you from someone from Wisconsin or Georgia?

Everyone has an accent, I'm talking about a relatively new one that's developed or is developing.

I've wondered for instance, if George Washington had a British accent. I wonder how long it takes for speech patterns to change on their own.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:57 am
ossobuco wrote:
Few people in Los Angeles, much less all of southern California talk in Valley Girl speak.

Not any longer, but it was popular for awhile. Zappa picked up on it and reemed them good.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:31 pm
Does anyone think that Kelly Rippa's accent is from New Joisey???? Surprised Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:37 pm
who's kelly ripa? Confused
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:40 pm
She's going to be your running mate when you run for president. Poop on Paris Hilton.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:41 pm
oh....I don't know many names in politics, just the main ones.

Is she a senator or something with a heavy NE accent?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
You don't watch Regis and Kelly?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:44 pm
uhhh....

not hardly

what's she sound like?

california?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:47 pm
Maybe Edgar can pull something up on Utube. She has the accent of accents.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:58 pm
mmm...I'm sure if I cared I could go to youtube myself.

but, since you're going to keep us in the dark, I'll move on.

I think people from certain parts of the country have a harder time discerning subtle accents.

My mother sounded something like Edith Bunker, but never realized she had an accent. To her and other members of the family who stayed in NJ, all Southern accents, for instance, sound the same. Wouldn't matter if you were from Mississippi or North Carolina.

I worked hard at getting rid of my NJ accent, now I only sound like Tony Soprano when I have a cold. Other than that, some strange mix of Mid-west and texas mostly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:18 pm
Never knew there was such a thing as a "California accent." LOL
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:39 pm
fer sure dude. :wink:

I looked up that Kelly person on you tube.

all she and Region do is yell and scream at each other.

I'm not into that.

Once when I was home sick I had the TV on it was that show where those 3 or 4 women sit around and talk, if you can call it that.

I lasted about 30 seconds listening to all that yelling and cross talk. Hasn't anyone ever heard of shutting their mouth and listening to the other person while they speak?

No wonder poor manners are rampant today, if that's what people are imitating.

but, I digress.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:08 pm
Where is this "Califorina" this topic is about?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:22 pm
Chai wrote:
fer sure dude. :wink:

I looked up that Kelly person on you tube.

all she and Region do is yell and scream at each other.

I'm not into that.

Once when I was home sick I had the TV on it was that show where those 3 or 4 women sit around and talk, if you can call it that.

I lasted about 30 seconds listening to all that yelling and cross talk. Hasn't anyone ever heard of shutting their mouth and listening to the other person while they speak?

No wonder poor manners are rampant today, if that's what people are imitating.

but, I digress.

Are you talking about The View? If so, I agree. I was only able to stomach about 4 minutes of it because of that very reason. Just who do you listen to when 2 or 3 are talking at once?

Martha Stewart and Oprah continually interrupt their guests when they're answering a question they just asked them - weird, rude, and irritating. Just STFU and let your guest answer the damn question. Consequently, I can't watch them, either.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:52 pm
Mame, I thought I was the only one responding like you are to these so-called super hosts of tv shows. They seem to cut off people at will, and it doesn't phase them one bit! STFU is spot on!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:09 pm
Laughing

That STFU reminded me of Office Space...

I DEAL WITH THE GODDAMN CUSTOMERS SO THE ENGINEERS DON'T HAVE TO! I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:23 pm
Re accents and tones, intonations, that sort of thing. When I was working in voice recognition we would look at the graphical representation of sound waves on occasion, and it's kinda surprising. Without even accounting for accents, two words that you think would be pretty similar (cope and coop), are radically different.

Vowels shift all the time. I work with a guy named Mark (talk to him on the phone as he's offsite). One of my coworkers pronounces his name as Merk. Or hair, which is pronounced like here.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:33 pm
Chai, one thing that might have contributed to the new and varied accents is the difference in education.

I was born in 1943, (when dinosaurs still roamed the earth). Diction was addressed in all the schools I attended. In addition, one of my aunts was very like Noddy in her devotion to education. She would correct me whenever I mumbled or mispronounced a word. I did pronounce 'pin' and 'pen' differently (and properly). At the same time, I said nekkid rather than naked. Go figure?

TV and movies have had a profound influence on speech patterns and pronunciations. As for Vally Girls, yes, it was a fad for many years mainly, I believe, because of teen movies.

The one speech habit that I find most irritating is the rise at the end of a sentence. There are even news anchors who still have that mind numbing habit.

As a side note, I was born in California. I was six months old, when my parents moved to Texas My mother took me with her on the train. A lady in one of the facing seats was admiring me, saying what a pretty baby I was. She asked my mother where I was born. When my mother said Vallejo, California, the woman immediately responded, "Oh, I don't like people from California!" Cool
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
I at one time in the past traveled around the country hawking products, and the only place I couldn't blend to a degree was in the Northeast.

Can't tune my base dialect that far.

(I can drop into a deep southern drawl on command, but most people guessed me from Cali...)
0 Replies