Eel - the drink of champions

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:28 pm
Energy boosting' eel drink on sale in Japan
Monday, July 28, 2008 | 12:02 PM

TOKYO, Japan -- It's the hottest season of the year in Japan, and that means it's eel season. So, bottom's up!
A canned drink called "Unagi Nobori," or "Surging Eel," made by Japan Tobacco Inc., hit the nation's stores this month just ahead of Japan's annual eel-eating season, company spokesman Kazunori Hayashi said Monday.
"It's mainly for men who are exhausted by the summer's heat," Hayashi said of the beverage, believed to be the first mass-produced eel drink in Japan.
Many Japanese believe eating eel boosts stamina in hot weather.
The fizzy, yellow-colored drink contains extracts from the head and bones of eel and five vitamins -- A, B1, B2, D and E -- contained in the fish.
The Japanese particularly like to eat eel on traditional eel days, which fall on July 24 and Aug. 5 this year.
Demand for eel is so high that Japan has been hit by scores of eel fraud cases, including a recent high-profile incident in which a government ministry publicly scolded two companies for mislabeling eel imported from China as being domestically grown.
The eel involved in recent scandals was prepared in a popular "kaba-yaki" style, in which it is broiled and covered with a sweet sauce. The $1.30 drink costs about one-tenth as much as broiled eel, but has a similar flavor.
Eel extract is also used in cookies and pies made in Japan's biggest eel producing town, Hamamatsu.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:42 pm
edgar :

i'll pass on the eel drink , but a nicely smoked eel is a tasty treat !

http://www.moselaal.de/Aal_Essen_Kind.jpg

i wouldn't try the eels from the heavily polluted lake ontario , but when we are in germany we make sure to have a nicely smoked eel - best when they are just coming out of the smoke-house - still a litte warm .
i'm als like jellied eel !
hbg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:49 pm
Nothing like some good eel, I always say.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:00 pm
Many times, fishing aound Corpus Christi (Corpus, we Texans fondly call it), eels are all we catch. To a man, the fishrs I have seen feed them to the cats.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:00 pm
chai wrote :

Quote:
Nothing like some good eel, I always say.

when i spend a month in austin in the spring of '79 , i didn't see eel listed on any restaurant menus .
has anything changed :wink: ?
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:56 pm
I had some fantastic smoked eel from Milbree Viking smokehouse today. It was sooooooo delicious.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 07:06 pm
Eel r gud.
I like it smoked with a sweet gingery unagi accompanying sauce.

We catch a lot in minner traps at home and if theres enuff in there, Ill get the smoker fired up.
Chesapeake bay is where most of the Western poplation of eels wind up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 07:10 pm
Are all eels good eating, or certain ones? Reason I ask, the fishers in Corpus Texas don't seem to eat any they catch.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:07 pm
I think they're talkin' freshwater, not saltwater.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:19 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I think they're talkin' freshwater, not saltwater.

In many cases the same thing. Freshwater eels found in the eastern US and european eels are the same species. They spawn in the sargasso sea, mature to near adulthood (eelet) in shallow tidal areas of the US and Europe and swim up the rivers to mature to full eeldom. Finally they return to the Sargasso sea to spawn the next generation.

So that eel you smoke over hickory in the lower Ohio valley may have a cousin being smoked on the banks of the Marne.

As for the Japanese eel cola it couldn't taste any worse than some of those overpriced power drinks being poffered at every convienance store in North America.

BTW--I once tried green an experimental carbonated beverage made from Okra---wasn't bad--tasted a little like Mountain Dew--but the name 'Okracola' kinda sucked, particularly when it was pasted to the side of a NASCAR. I don't think Eelcola would work today either, unless it would be 'Electric.'

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:16 am
There are a couple hundred species of eel. The one we are most familiar with is Anguilla rostrata (the AMerican eel), the European eel, Anguilla anguilla is basically the same species with a different location. These are catadromous fish (unlike anadromous which spend their yout in the sea and return to fresh water to spawn, eels spend their youth and mid years in fresh water, and then return to the Sargasso to spawn).

The rest of the species will be used opportunistically by the rest of the world. There are some species that live only in fresh water but in Eastern Us, these are not commercially sought (like the lamprey which are disgusting proto hagfish).

I red recently that the "eel farms" in Maryland Pa and Delaware are going great guns because of the rapid decline of anguillae in the wild. The eel farms raise really nice prime ells for the European and Asian markets and collect the skins for a high quality leather used for wallets and briefcases.

Id like to visit an eel farm to see how they keep these critters from getting loose.

We used to do eel fishing when I was a kid. My dad and some buds would

1get lots of beer

2 get fishing lines and make eel "sets" which are like a version of a catfish trotline. These would be set out in stretches of small streams , usually at sunset of a June day. Then theyd go and build a fire and sit around drinking beer and bullshitting. I would listen and suck up all the lies and stories about giant eels in small creeks. This would , of course scare the crap out of us kids.

3every few hours after dark, wed go and check the lines. I recall that each line was ties off with strips of white cloth so we could see em.
Wed check the lines and place the eels in a tightly locked cooler. (One year one of my cousins and I didnt close the lid and what was a nice catch of eels was reduced to one or two remainders as the others all escaped by slithering over the ground and back into the stream. Eels have a rudimentary lung and can "walk" large disrtances on land. Fox and Otters and (newly reintroduced to the Susquehanna Basin) are Martens , all of whom opportunistically feed on eels and are smart enough to know that eels get around dams by getting out of the water and slithering around the dams.

Besides smoked and sushi'd (unagi is semi smoked), are there any other recipes that Asians or German use to make eel?

Love to eat them eels
eels a tasty treat
I crunch they little backbones
then munch they tiny feet

(well thats pretty much correct except for the feet part)
0 Replies