Why do White People Dislike McCain?

ebrown p

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:18 am
This is a dumb argument based on faulty logic. I have never used the terms "racist" and "bigots" to describe anyone opposed to illegal immigration. I use the term to describe people who are racist or bigoted.

The claim that an opposition to illegal immigration proves you are not a bigot is laughable.

It seems clear that bigotry can drive a hatred of "illegal immigrants"-- and it is obvious that many bigots oppose any kind of compassionate immigration reform.

Let's get this straight... it is possible for people to oppose compassionate immigration reform without bigotry or racism.

For some reason in real life, this is quite rare.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:21 am
I call BS.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:30 am
Foofie,

Reading your post about squatters, you seem to be making the argument that the U.S. is part of Europe.

Quote:

So, while these squatters seem to respect the borders of Latin American countries, better than the respect they seem to afford for the U.S. borders, can we deduce a bit of racism against Anglos (aka, Europeans historically)?

I am assuming that your ancestors came from Europe. Are you descended from immigrants... or squatters?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:44 am
My ancestors immigrated legally. Did yours epb?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:04 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Foofie,

Reading your post about squatters, you seem to be making the argument that the U.S. is part of Europe.

Quote:

So, while these squatters seem to respect the borders of Latin American countries, better than the respect they seem to afford for the U.S. borders, can we deduce a bit of racism against Anglos (aka, Europeans historically)?

I am assuming that your ancestors came from Europe. Are you descended from immigrants... or squatters?

They came in the early 1880's and late 1890's. Immigration from Europe (Eastern Europe) was open until 1924. The first thing they did after getting off of the dock was enroll in night school, so they could become citizens by learning enough English to pass the test.

Then they worked hard to feed a growing family, since there was no welfare or food stamps.

Then they told their children to do their homework, so they can function in this new wonderful country.

They also told their children to respect all those that were here before them and as the old saying goes, Do as the Romans do.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:45 pm
There is nothing compassionate about the illegals who steal jobs from citizens and lower wages in general. They come here to help themselves and their families back in the home country, with no regard to the USA and its citizens. They should be expelled and otherwise treated harshly to discourage the flood of illegals coming to our country.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 03:36 pm
I started this silly little thread as the mirror of the equally silly "Why do Black People Dislike Obama?".

It was never my intention to get sucked into a pissing match with immigration extremists and their simplistic slogans that everyone has already heard shouted before.

I am sorry I let CJHSA provoke me into this meaningless ugliness.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 03:50 pm
Oh, those who don't agree with you are extremists. You better look around. You may be the extremest.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:44 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

It seems clear that bigotry can drive a hatred of "illegal immigrants"-- and it is obvious that many bigots oppose any kind of compassionate immigration reform.

Where did you get this term "compassionate immigration reform"? How did compassion get involved with the reality that these people broke the laws of the U.S. by trespassing the borders? What has compassion got to do with maintaining the borders and keeping aliens out of the country?

Or, within the term "compassionate" is there the innuendo that they really should be given the same opportunity to turn their existences around like our ancestors? Boo-hoo, all the aliens do not get to become U.S. citizens.

Listen, our ancestors did more for this country than just hard work at cheap wages. They also gave the country progeny that advanced through education. Will that happen again with the current crop of immigrant wannabes?

No one is a bigot or racist because they want aliens out of the country. If anyone is a bigot or racist that is a non-sequitor to the fact that aliens should not be trespassing the U.S. borders.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:14 pm
The illegals are not being compassionate when they jump ahead of the people following the rules by waiting for years to enter the country legally.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:31 pm
The folks with the imagination, guts, and drive to get here no matter what are exactly the ones we should want to keep around.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:36 pm
DrewDad wrote:
The folks with the imagination, guts, and drive to get here no matter what are exactly the ones we should want to keep around.

Not if they break the rules and laws.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:38 pm
Rolling Eyes

Did you forget a little thing called the American Revolution?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 05:07 pm
Why is there so much bigotry in the anti-"illegal"-immigration movement?

If the issue is enforcing immigration laws, then...

- Why support illegal measures against them (i.e. racial profiling) that hurt American citizens as well as immigrants.
- Why spread lies about the number of "illegal" people in prison and the number of crimes they commit?
- Why the demonization of Hispanic American citizens-- painting them as traitors simply because they care about their communties?
- Why the need to paint the vast majority of "illegal" people; who are hardworking and peaceful.. as violent criminals?
- Why the "invasion" rhetoric... a inflammatory term that is designed to increase hatred and fear and contributes nothing to a reasoned debate?
- Why the attack on the millions of Spanish speaking American citizens?

There are very few people on the anti-"illegal"-immigration side (I only know one on A2K) who make a reasoned debate without using these inflammatory appeals to hatred and fear.

Let's judge actions and words. A large portion of the anti-"illegal"-immigrant side of this debate routinely indulges in bigotry.

If someone makes a rational argument about immigration policy, based on following the law, without defamation or lies, they are clearly not a bigot.

Making such an rational argument is apparently quite difficult for those on the anti-"illegal"-immigration side..
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:23 pm
Regarding those discussing illegals on A2K, I have not seen bigots. Those opposed to illegals are against all illegals, regardless of race, creed, or national origin. Thus, there is no bigotry.

I do see in those supporting the illegals self-serving motivation. That can be the only explanation for these people who reject all rationality and our legal system in their undying defense of the illegals.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:57 pm
The largest and most visible part of the problem is/are latinos streaming across our southern border. It's not bigotry or racism - they just happen to be the most visible part of the iceberg. And potentially the most controllable.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:05 am
DrewDad wrote:

I do not think "imagination, guts, and drive" are anything unique to illegals? American citizens have these qualities, or we would not have functioned in WWII.

How about basic willingness to obey the law of the land by just not trespassing our borders?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:09 am
cjhsa wrote:
The largest and most visible part of the problem is/are latinos streaming across our southern border. It's not bigotry or racism - they just happen to be the most visible part of the iceberg. And potentially the most controllable.

How would they be the most controllable? A Mariachi Band that would lead them back to the sourthern border like a Pied Piper? I would think the illegals from Europe (Eastern and Western) that overstay their visas can more easily be addressed, but that is my own opinion.

But, without work, they would leave, so the ability to stay here, I believe, starts with the employers being given foolproof methods of checking legal status.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:20 am
Why is there so much lawlessness in the "illegal"-immigration movement?

Why do we reward these criminals?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:26 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Why is there so much lawlessness in the "illegal"-immigration movement?

Why do we reward these criminals?

I did not know there was lawlessness? I would be more concerned about any illegal not really wanting to assimilate into the American culture, if they ever got amnesty.

Hey, why not have illegals as one more hyphenated American group, Illegal-American.
0 Replies