To all the men I've loved before...

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:05 am
Just reminiscing in the car on the way to work about all the men I've had monster crushes on in my life but never had real relationships with. So many good memories. I'll start with the one I was thinking of in the car.

R was a student at a school in Fort Lauderdale and his friend was dating my cousin when I was about 19. Cousin and I drove down there for a party one evening and, though R and I had met before and were a little mean to each other, we seemed to have quite the attraction this time. He kept looking at me... you know the look. Not dirty, but clearly interested. After flirting for hours, we ended up in his room making out all night. After that we had a loose long distance talking relationship and saw each other a few more times but never did sleep with each other or go much beyond the making out and talking. The relationship never went anywhere, but man, the lips on him I'll never forget.

Tell me your stories of past crushes and aborted relationships that you still think of.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,344 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:18 am
when I was real young (12) I had a crush on Debbie from across the street who was 13.... but one day I caught her f*cking Lou the 16 year old from upstairs. Broke my heart. She was later killed in a car crash and Lou became a drug dealer and eventually went to prison.

Serves 'em right.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:43 am
That was inspiring, Bear, thank you.

Ok then there was Mr. F, a much loved Math teacher in college who I had a crazy crush on, so much so that I whenever I talked to him about math I acted like a bumbling 14-year-old. He thought I was "weird" and he was right. But he was so funny and laid back and smart.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:59 am
always here for you
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:33 am
Thank goodness for that or I'd be here talking to myself. Don't think I don't appreciate it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:48 am
Oh those crushes were so much fun, weren't they? Makes me laugh just thinking about it, how stupid I was with my first crush....

I was around 14 or 15 years old and my 4 years older brother had a
friend I so adored. Every time he (I forgot his name Shocked ) came
over I was struck dumb and blushing every time he said a word to me.
Mostly I sat motionless in my room being overwhelmed that HE was
in the same house as I - the SAME HOUSE!! That was usually all I could
handle, but then there was my brother's birthday party and HE actually
asked me to dance - probably out of pity - but I was in heaven. I wished
the song would never end, but it did of course....

To this day, I love that song (or more the feeling of reminiscing) "Good
morning Starshine" from the musical "Hair".

Darn it, what was his name again?? It will come to me eventually......
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:03 am
On man. Just last week I had like a 20 minute crush on my neighbor's brother.

Swear to god he looked like that guy on Entourage and he gave off some kind of man stink that made you forget you were standing in the front yard chatting and chasing kids.

Thank goodness that he lives in another state because I am only human.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:13 am
I remember Eddie - we would get a gang and go water-skiing. Eddie was ROTC and had that swagger...and muscles everwhere. I remember spotting in the ski boat while he was skiing - holy cow - he would grab the ski rope with one hand and every muscle would ripple as he jumped his wake and turned in the air...I would watch spell bound. He was beautiful. He was a player though. Just looked at him. That was enough.

Another totally different crush...Jazz major at Auburn. He would play the piano and sing to me and I would think my heart was going to beat out of my chest sometimes. One day he grabbed me and started dancing with me when we were goofing around the practice rooms...yowza...the adrenaline rush was amazing...ahhhhh...memories. I would have married him had he asked. But it was not meant to be.

Another crush...would show up outside my window at 4:00am when I liked to study and throw rocks at my window. He was beautiful too...muscles on muscles..I like muscles. And smart and unpretentious and he made me laugh...I love to laugh. This one I married 8 years later. He was a keeper :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:22 am
Mr. (What?), the TA in my Music 1A class. So, so wonderful. Those eyes.. While I don't remember his name I remember specifically that he wore continental suits. Maybe the same continental suit. It was some shade of olive green. (This must have been late '60 or early '61 to date the style.)

I bought a record, money being scarce, that he had played for us and that he had explained what was going on in. I loved it. It was Horowitz's 1943 performance of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 in London, w/ Toscanini. I still have that in the pile of old albums.
Did I say I loved it? I loved it. Yes.

So, I worked after school at a job taking small xrays in a local hospital and another job doing research in the med records re the usefulness of those xrays re finding signs of TB in all those patients. That data search was for a med student and we were talking one day - no, no crush on him, and, oddly, I remember his name. So I tell the med student about buying the Tchaikovsky record, and he says, "parlour music".
Oh! Oh! I was crushed in another sense of the word. Still loved the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYiPVskOVNw
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:42 am
boomerang wrote:
Thank goodness that he lives in another state because I am only human.

Made me laugh out loud - you're so funny, boomer! Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:49 am
BBB
When I was sixteen, I fell in love with a baritone in his mid-twenties, who sang with me in a chorus. I fell in love with his beautiful voice. He liked me, but was engaged to be married.

Oh how that gorgeous man could sing!

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:52 am
I tried to find a photo of a continental suit and couldn't, much less one in olive, but this quote shows I'm not making this up -

from mycustomtailor.com:

"Brooks Bros., once a ´citadel of conservatism,´ became a font of fashion as the new ´Ivy Cult´ sought style direction. Charcoal and olive were the colors."

In addition to the introduction of man-made fibers, this period also saw the arrival of the Continental Look from France and Italy, featuring short jackets and broad shoulders, a shaped waistline, slanting besom pockets, sleeve cuffs, short side vents, and tapered, cuffless trousers. This "slick" look made little inroad on those who were staunch adherents of the more conservative Ivy League look, but it was a significant phenomenon nonetheless, as it moved Americans further away from the stylish elegance of the 1930s."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:33 am
That's what I'm talking about. Keep 'em comin'. Good stuff.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:34 am
Oh, and thanks whoever moved this to R&M -- much better.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:14 pm
Oh oh oh...another one...my first love...Dave - he was in the Navy. I was 17 years old. I had thought the world of him since I was in middle school. Of course he went away but was home on leave my 17th summer. We went canoeing with a group of friends and some girl he didn't like kept flirting with him. He told her he was dating me. He asked me out that night and we were inseparable all summer long. I literally felt like I was floating that summer...yeah...the whole kissing thing...made my knees turn to water. Of course he had to go back and we agreed since I was starting college that it was wise to date others. I still see him and his wife when I go home.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:35 pm
The hottest man alive. Athletic build, perfect height (a bit taller, but not too tall), face of a god, deep dark eyes, straight nose, sensual lips, bit of a stubble, dirty blond hair, tall smooth forehead...ooooohhhh...to die for.

I dared not speak to him, because surely he wouldn't know a girl like me existed and breathed. But he was in my circle of friends in college. We hung out in group, my crazy roommate from South Africa, a group of the only African American students on this vastly white liberal arts college campus, and him. I guess all of us scholarship students, the outcasts from the rich kids student body. Heaps of fun. Hanging out on the roof, going out to town, just clowning about in our room. We took many photos. On one, I am blowing smoke into his eyes, and he's smiling so...sheepishly yet expectantly at the same time... seeing it my roommate pointed out that he's actually very interested, and has always been and am I blind to not have seen that so far? I couldn't believe it, but couldn't get it out of my mind either.
Then it happened. One evening, when we returned from one of our group outings, we stayed out on a balcony long after everyone else left. We danced, stayed up all night, made out, of course, and I nearly went with him to his room. But I couldnt't.

I didn't go. I was involved with The Monster back then and already felt guilty for the massive crush. I regretted it million times since. The funniest thing is that I googled him today after years...and then I run across this thread. Maybe it's something in the air.

I love his name, I say it out loud to this day every now and then.

Sigh.... R.S.P., still is the hottest man alive. He's an actor and director in LA now. Saw some of his youtube movies and photos, and he's aging to be even more gorgeous.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:41 pm
Regis Philbin!?! Kidding.

I googled the first crush I mentioned here too today. Actually found him on Linkedin and toyed with the idea of inviting him to my network before thinking better of it. He is very successful and running his own company, which doesn't surprise me at all. Can't tell much beyond that.

I'm sure that, with any of these crushes, further action on either part would have completely killed it and these men would be on my other thread -- to all the men who make me cringe when I remember having sex with them.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:55 pm
I think I figured out what makes me miss particular crushes most.

It's those where I messed up and didn't do anything to fix it. In this case, I withdrawn afterwards and failed to establish a somewhat normal friendly relationship again (he understood I'm involved and he DID try to be friendly...I acted like an ass, since I was always so nervous around him).

The other big one was this Slovak doctor i was briefly involved with. He loved me so much, I didn't understand why. I liked him a lot, but declined him a few times. I think the force of his emotions scared me. When I realized what I let slip by (it took me a few years to really sink in, eh i'm slow), he was married. Serves me right, such a chicken I was.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:56 pm
Yeah. K. Sigh. Started out as just friends, really, in middle school. He was smart (smart!!), and funny, and that's all I really noticed at first. Then we got older and I started to notice other things. Like his eyes (dark dark brown, steady -- we'd talk and talk without ever breaking the gaze), like his smile (wide, generous, one chipped tooth that he was slightly self-conscious about, so he was slow to smile and I loved to make him grin despite himself). Then as we got older -- his shoulders (broad, strong), his jaw... sigh.

I went up to the brink in confessing my feelings but never did. He knew that -- that I went to the brink, and changed my mind. I went deaf in there, and the earliest basis of our friendship -- talking and talking and talking and cracking each other up -- faded into awkwardness as I lost the ability to hold a gaze and communicate at the same time.

We remained friends, but nothing ever happened. We went to the same college, and would run into each other occasionally, and everytime I saw him... well, all the cliches.

I learned later from a friend that the feelings were mutual, but what can you do? At my 10-year reunion I had with me a small packet of photos, including wedding photos, that he wanted to see. He looked at them for the longest time, hard to read his expression. Then he looked at me -- those dark brown eyes, that gaze -- and said "you look so happy in those photos."

He's another famous one. Easy to find photos and videos of him, and I do occasionally. Every bit as beautiful. (In fact, I'm thinking of sending photos of him via PM to some people on this thread just for confirmation purposes!)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 03:00 pm
Oh! OH! Please do!!! I'll send you my actor!
0 Replies