Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 06:52 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 840 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:57 pm
Apart from the inherent irony, I don't get why a soldier's treatment for killing people he is not ordered to kill is seen as deserving of treatment any different different from a civilian's.

I don't think this man, or anyone should be executed....but, given that you routinely kill people judicially in the US, why the hooha about this fella?

If his murderous and sexually assaultive behaviour was triggered in some way by his experiences as a soldier (eg PTSD) that reasonably comes up when sentence is discussed, but for the rest of it? Bush has happily supported executions...why find it heavier to kill this man than anyone else...and why is he involved?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:19 pm
dlowan wrote:
Apart from the inherent irony, I don't get why a soldier's treatment for killing people he is not ordered to kill is seen as deserving of treatment any different different from a civilian's.

I don't think this man, or anyone should be executed....but, given that you routinely kill people judicially in the US, why the hooha about this fella?

If his murderous and sexually assaultive behaviour was triggered in some way by his experiences as a soldier (eg PTSD) that reasonably comes up when sentence is discussed, but for the rest of it? Bush has happily supported executions...why find it heavier to kill this man than anyone else...and why is he involved?

Bush is involved because under US law, ANY execution of an active duty soldier for ANY crime must be approved by the President, in his role as Commander in Chief of the military.

And since the crimes occurred in the US and not overseas, and since they occurred BEFORE the US went to war in Iraq or Desert Storm, the soldier in question would be very hard pressed to prove PTSD.

Either way, he deserves to die for his crimes.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:19 pm
I agree Dlowan. The president should not be involved. But our president does not seem the least bit ashamed of sending people off to die in war nor did he express any remorse over those who died in Katrina. Personally, I think Bush himself should be sitting in that same seat.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:21 pm
NickFun wrote:
I agree Dlowan. The president should not be involved. But our president does not seem the least bit ashamed of sending people off to die in war nor did he express any remorse over those who died in Katrina. Personally, I think Bush himself should be sitting in that same seat.

Apparently you didnt read the article, so try reading this part...

Unlike in the civilian courts, a member of the U.S. armed forces cannot be executed until the president approves the death sentence. Gray has been on death row at the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., since April 1988.

Members of the U.S. military have been executed throughout history, but just 10 have been executed by presidential approval since 1951 when the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the military's modern-day legal system, was enacted into law.

President Kennedy was the last president to stare down this life-or-death decision. On Feb. 12, 1962, Kennedy commuted the death sentence of Jimmie Henderson, a Navy seaman, to confinement for life.

The President MUST approve it, thats the law.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:43 pm
mysteryman wrote:
NickFun wrote:

Apparently you didnt read the article, so try reading this part...

Unlike in the civilian courts, a member of the U.S. armed forces cannot be executed until the president approves the death sentence. Gray has been on death row at the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., since April 1988.

Members of the U.S. military have been executed throughout history, but just 10 have been executed by presidential approval since 1951 when the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the military's modern-day legal system, was enacted into law.

President Kennedy was the last president to stare down this life-or-death decision. On Feb. 12, 1962, Kennedy commuted the death sentence of Jimmie Henderson, a Navy seaman, to confinement for life.

The President MUST approve it, thats the law.

Yeah, that I get.

That it is the law.

I just think it's dumb.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:34 am
I don't really give a crap what happens to the guy they are going to execute. He seems like a waste of perfectly good protoplasm. Still, I am against the death penalty, and so I have to include him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 06:24 pm
There is a scene in a war movie, in which White Christmas is played, while a soldier is shot by a firing squad. It was based on a true story. I wish I could recall the name of it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:36 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
There is a scene in a war movie, in which White Christmas is played, while a soldier is shot by a firing squad. It was based on a true story. I wish I could recall the name of it.
The Execution of Private Slovik?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:40 pm
Bingo. I bet that's it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:59 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5vOqz2EjhI
That's the setting, pretty much as I recall it. Not sure why I thought the song was played. Could be it was reenacted in another film.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:04 pm
dyslexia wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
The Execution of Private Slovik?

That rings a bell. Must review.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:10 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5vOqz2EjhI
My link shows the execution portion of the film.
0 Replies