What Should Be The Role of the UN in Iraq?

Hazlitt

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:58 pm
President Bush has been pushing for the UN to send peacekeepers to Iraq. So far the UN has been reluctant to do so because Bush is unwilling to relinquish any control over security or over nation building in in that country.

I have been thinking that regardless of any promises that the Bush administration makes, the UN should not join the him in Iraq. The UN should only take on that job if it has the authority to carry out its mandate, and if it can do so under those circumstances that it usually deems necessary for success.

The big problem with Bush is that he may promise the UN the control it requires, but once the UN troops are on the ground, he will do exactly as he pleases: Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz will be calling the shots. We have watched him time and again promise to do one thing and then do the exact opposite. His word means nothing.

Bush has blown up a sandstorm in Iraq, and he's up to his knees in the stuff. It looks more and more like he will soon be up to his Adam's apple. His worldwide credibility is headed toward zero. If the UN partners with him, it will be in the same fix. It will make itself, even more, the target of the Islamists and an object of mistrust throughout the Islamic world. When Bush is out of office, someone is going to have to clean up after him. That will be the time for the UN to take a hand.

I'd like to know how others see this situation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 652 • Replies: 2
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 07:09 pm
I thought Bush's credibility was long ago at zero. This guy is known for not keeping his word. Look at what happened to "leave no child behind" and "long term health care for our vets." He's a "uniter, not a divider" has been a big failure. Not only in this country, but with our world partners. I haven't seen this kind of division before; and I don't see any improvement. If the UN trusts GWBush, and they send UN troops into Iraq, it'll be their own fault for trusting Bush.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 07:24 pm
The UN should have the primary decision making capability in the reconstruction of both Afghansitan and Iraq. The US role should be completely subordinate to the UN.
0 Replies