Does Hypnotherapy work?

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 10:10 am
I'm currently considering purchasing two MP3s off of a site that offers 100% money back guarantee if they don't work.

They're are for self esteem and confidence boosting.

Does anyone have any experience of hypnosis MP3s/CDs and do they work?

They're £17 altogether so I don't want to be wasting my money if they don't work...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 811 • Replies: 8
No top replies

honey rose cr

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 12:18 pm
BUMP!

Also looking at the anxiety one now.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 12:28 pm
I've been told I'm a very good subject, but the stuff has never worked for me.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 01:40 pm
I'm just wondering about getting one download to start off with, if it doesn't work, get my money back. You get discounts the more you buy at once though Confused

I'm just so sick of being me, it sucks, if there's something simple like this that could help me (hypnotherapy significantly helped a close friend overcome his anger issues) then I'd like to try it. I just don't want to find myself severely disappointed.

I'm into all the newage/hippie sort of nonsense Razz so I'm hoping this could be helpful to me..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:32 pm
I'm sure it's easy to place an order. Do they also give a phone number? I don't like being at the mercy of some email contact system that may respond, or may not. If I can't call them, especially in regard to a money back offer, I just don't want to deal with them.

New age/hippy? I would have never guessed.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 06:19 pm
It does have a phone number... I have emailed them already for some advice and they were very quick to reply, not to mention politely helpful.

Quote:
New age/hippy? I would have never guessed.

Was that a sarcastic comment? Surprised :wink:

Oh I'm all for running around naked and frolicking in fields!! Very Happy Never have the time to do so nowadays mind, nor the money to get myself out of jail for public indecency.. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:49 pm
Me? Sarcastic? Perish the very thought.

Well, they don't have the basic earmarks of a den of thieves, so give it a shot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:16 pm
I'll try not to be sarcastic. <frowns with effort>

I'm so old that...

I was hypnotized by a sometime friend of my father's, Richard Carl Spurney. He was on the Art Linkletter show, probably a bunch of times. (I told you I am old.) He was, if I remember right, an actual hypnotherapist with a practice. Not sure if he was a quack or not, but he was at least Public Relations avid. They were going to work up some tv project together. (By then my dad was semi desperate for a job in the film business - I think he was going to be the writer, maybe director.) Let's say it didn't work out.

So, that person was over to our house and I was around. Must have been in my late teens, passing from the kitchen to my ROOM. He asked me if I'd like to be hypnotized, and I must have gurgled something like 'uh, ok'. (Probably trying to foster good will, instead of just getting out of there. On the other hand, by then I might have taken Psych 1A, and been mildly curious.)

Apparently there are stages. I was fine with stage one. On stage two, when he put the match to my palm (no, not right on it), I snapped right out of it. He told me I wasn't a good subject, too scientific minded, or maybe it was too analytic. (Hmmm, probably code for 'you don't trust me', which was certainly true.)

Let's say I'd only consider any of that now with a professionally competent therapist. No stage 4s by mistake, heh. A disc? I have to think, you're kidding.

Now, before you write me off, I did have a friend who was incredibly afraid of flying, and by the nature of her husband's business and their vacation lives, needed to be able to get on a plane without having a stroke at a young age. She tried hypnotism and it worked for her. They (he, she, I don't know) taught her some simple maneuvers, probably at stage 1 level, and in the intervening years she's flown all over the world relatively composed.

Some disc from online, I'd forget it, but you know that already.

Now, on who you are and dealing with anger, makes more sense to me that you get serious counseling, and not look for some kind of easy personality change. Your anger could have many components, and be worth figuring out. I am hopeful for you on that, since you really do want to handle it.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:33 am
At least a disc won't start trying to burn me!!! Shocked

Well as I say my friend had effective hypnotherapy when he was about..let's guess... 14? Maybe a year older or younger.. He was the angry one, not me. Any anger I harbour comes from insecurity and thus my usual anxieties in day to day life.

I don't know that I'd be able to relax and get into it with a real person there, I can't do new things comfortably (without feeling silly) when someone real is there, applying to pretty much EVERYTHING. If I can just get on with it on my own I do things VERY well. Which is why I'm trying to set up a home business, where I can just get on with things.. Working in a small company surrounded by lots of people makes me nervous, therefore I cack up a lot and my confidence shoots ever downwards..

I'm just thinking, having listened the the hypnotherapist on the CD (sample) it does sound quite relaxing. Anxiety in particular could just be levelled down, even if it's just a belief that this WILL help me, by just relaxing.

£10 is a lot to me right now, I want it to be worth something....
0 Replies