Farewell Estelle Getty

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 08:05 pm
My favorite image of the grandmother.. Estelle Getty ...aka...Sophia, from the golden girls died. Age 84.

Damn I bet she had a fun life.
That was one rocking woman..

http://tv.yahoo.com/show/30728/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20080722:obit_getty

Quote:
Estelle Getty of 'Golden Girls' dies at 84
By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer
Tue Jul 22, 12:37 PM PDT

Estelle Getty, the diminutive actress who spent 40 years struggling for success before landing a role of a lifetime in 1985 as the sarcastic octogenarian Sophia on TV's "The Golden Girls," has died. She was 84.

Getty, who suffered from advanced dementia, died at about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday at her Hollywood Boulevard home, said her son, Carl Gettleman of Santa Monica.

"Estelle always wanted to be an actress, and she achieved that goal beyond her dreams," former "Golden Girls" co-star Rue McClanahan told The Associated Press. "Don't feel sad about her passing. She will always be with us in her crowning achievement, Sophia."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 917 • Replies: 4
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 08:13 pm
She suffered from Alzheimer's for the last several years of her life, starting during the last season or so of "The Golden Girls" but back in the day, as Sophia Petrillo, she was hysterical. I catch the show in rerun often and I've just gotta wait for Sophia's scene. She cracks me up!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 08:19 pm
My mother in law and my mom watched that show religiously. I never got. I liked "Designing Women" that was funny, but GG, nope, not my cuppa.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 08:24 pm
I liked it too.

I think it was truly a 'womans' show..

Alzheimers is an ugly disease. Im actually sad to know that is how she passed. People lose themselves completely with that disease ..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 09:15 pm
farmerman wrote:
My mother in law and my mom watched that show religiously. I never got. I liked "Designing Women" that was funny, but GG, nope, not my cuppa.
0 Replies