I WANT TO BUY A TRUCK FOR UNDER $5000.

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:25 pm
A 4 cylinder would be fine.
Need 20+ mile per gallon.
Tires still usable.
Plastic lining would be helpful.
Automatic would allow my wife to use it.
Ready to drive.
Should not require immediate $$$ to get it to work.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED: I have a 92 maroon Gran Marquis whose engine and transmission system work smoothly. Extra tires. A trailer hitch and a trailer.

Rome, Georgia (NW GA)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 786 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 03:26 am
most of the little trucks, unless they are not driven muh, dont have a great life length. A truck, by definition, is a workhorse used to haul stuff. A 4 cyliner is limite to load and terrain so they can be not too durable.

Id think about a 6 cyliner truck with stick 9like a Ford 150 or Dodge DAkota). In the 6 cylinders youll get almost 20 mpg (tire inflation and driving determines mileage in these babies)

Id be sensitive to body integrity so you dont have a rust bucket (most of the JApanese brands have terrible rust problems on the metal breaks and bends)

You can get a fairly decent truck for 5 K$. The way it is now, you can probably get a decent bigger truck that, in the scheme of things 17 mpg isnt gonna be a huge difference over a 15000 mile year. (Itll come out to another 500$ a year in gas) For the loss in a little gas mileage, you can get a better truck thats been traded by someone who panicked and took a huge bath in a trade in.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:47 am
truck
I AM SO EMBARRASSED.......I DIDN'T MEAN TO INCLUDE THE SECTION ABOUT THE CAR AND TRAILER.

THANK GOODNESS, FARMERMAN CAUGHT MY DRIFT AND RESPONDED TO THE SECTION ABOUT THE TRUCK.

HOW DO I GET RID OF THE CAR AND TRAILER BIT?

FARMERMAN, your information re the trucks is on target. Actually, I will use the truck about 50 miles a month to dump trash and limbs and such. Right now, the old car and trailer just take up space and don't add much to the beauty of the front of the house.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 11:13 am
Im not good at the getting rid of part but there are loads of charities around here wholl take a car off yer hands. If youre only driving it for 50 miles a month why buy another vehicle, why not start a compost pile with a shredder.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 04:27 pm
truck
I checked out the Ford 150 on the Edmunds.com website...learned a lot along the way. As you stated, the 150 was noted as the No. 1 choice. Lots to chose from for under $5,000.

I didn't know about the rust on the Japanese models....interesting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 05:58 pm
most older trucks have a rust problem but, IMHO the body integrity of the smaller trucks (including the Dakota) is a problem and Id check the bottoms of doors and the rocker panels and any place theres a significcant bend in the metals. ALSO, check the bed for rust (usually around the bolt holes and the gate).

lotsa times when a truck has crap kept in the bed, it soaks up and stores moisture so beware.

As far as the engine and stuff.
tucks were pretty much all fuel injected since the early 90s . Try flooding the engine when you start it and see how she recovers.
Obviously the other stuff, battery, tranny, engine noises, etc should all be looked at if you suspect anything. Im not a mechanic and I have only diesel trucks so Im not the go to guy about anything but the obvious things.
A good indication of the overall shape of the truck is to see from carfax (you enter the VIN no and itll dump anything it has ). Also, see if the previous owner kept up service. When a vehicle is ignored it starts slowly to deteriorate and older trucks are some serious victims.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 10:29 pm
Good stuff! I like your picture too. I figure you're about 150 years-old.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 05:23 am
Ill be 187 next April. Good Luck with the truck.
0 Replies