Could your kids be given to 'gay' parents?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 01:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
I'll say this again as you did not understand it the first time; what any one person or group says is not the point, what does the preponderance of the scientific study say?

I'll say this again, as you obviously don't understand. At such time as you provide a reliable source for what the preponderance of scientific study says, there will be something worth discussing (perhaps). Until that time, all you've got here is chin music.

I have made no claim for what the preponderance of scientific evidence says, I have said that we need to know. If you dispute THAT then we have something to talk over, otherwise we are in agreement.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 01:19 pm
boomerang wrote:
Hmmm...

We'll there is this, hawkeye...

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3290390#3290390

where you said...

Quote:
I can't go with adults losing the right to consent to sex because the moral police don't like what they consent to, and I would not make a person who has reason to believe that he/she is in a mutually consensual arrangement guilty of rape.

I also would not allow most of what we call statutory rape, but I am willing the throw the kids under the bus if it will help the adults gain sexual freedom.

Thanks for that trip down memory lane, it is as true today as it was when I wrote it.......but do you have a point?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 01:33 pm
parados wrote:
It's obvious. This is all about role modeling.

There would be less homosexuality, if only heterosexual parents would have sex in front of their kids more often to demonstrate how it should be done.

The way I read it is that we know that there will be less homosexuality if homosexuality is less accepted in society. The cost of accepting homosexuality as an equally valid orientation on par with heterosexuality is that we will have more of it. Whether this is a problem or not depends upon the world view of the individual and upon what the societal cost is of no longer role modeling heterosexuality as the primary and best orientation. Does a society that bases all upon the foundation of the family unit degrade itself when it makes "family" a more meaningless term by letting each person make up their own definition of what a family is?? Do we want to go as far as Hillary and say that our families are who ever we say they are and everyone else around us must accept our personal definition of what our family is?? Or do we have some standards, such as a family is a man and and woman who or in a primary intimate relationship or some such thing??

The gay/lesbian lobby has it that we must, absolutely must, recognize what they call family and absolutely must give them all of the rights that heterosexual families have........no we don't. We can do that, or not.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 03:28 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:

The way I read it is that we know that there will be less homosexuality if homosexuality is less accepted in society.
We know nothing of the sort. We can assume it would be less open, but you can't possibly assume it would be less.

Quote:
The cost of accepting homosexuality as an equally valid orientation on par with heterosexuality is that we will have more of it.
Nothing in evidence to suggest any such thing.

Quote:
Whether this is a problem or not depends upon the world view of the individual and upon what the societal cost is of no longer role modeling heterosexuality as the primary and best orientation. Does a society that bases all upon the foundation of the family unit degrade itself when it makes "family" a more meaningless term by letting each person make up their own definition of what a family is??
If that is the case then divorce degraded families a long time ago.

Quote:
Do we want to go as far as Hillary and say that our families are who ever we say they are and everyone else around us must accept our personal definition of what our family is??
Why should my family accept your definition? Why should any family not be able to decide what a family is?
Quote:
Or do we have some standards, such as a family is a man and and woman who or in a primary intimate relationship or some such thing??
Standard or indoctrination? Merely because you were trained that something was right or wrong doesn't necessarily mean it should be the only way. There are lots of "families" where there is no intimacy. That doesn't mean they are less valid than ones that do have sex. I think you completely missed the satire in my previous post.

Quote:

The gay/lesbian lobby has it that we must, absolutely must, recognize what they call family and absolutely must give them all of the rights that heterosexual families have........no we don't. We can do that, or not.
I suppose the only reason we freed slaves was because of the slave lobby. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 04:58 pm
What a bunch of BS. I know heteros who raised Homo kids and homo couples who raised hetero kids. Sexual orientation isn't something learned its a natural inclination in a person.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 05:02 pm
Quote:
Parenting Issues
Homosexual Parenting: Is It Time For Change?

Are children reared by two individuals of the same gender as well adjusted as children reared in families with a mother and a father? Until recently the unequivocal answer to this question was "no." Policymakers, social scientists, the media, and even physician organizations1, however, are now asserting that prohibitions on parenting by homosexual couples should be lifted. In making such far-reaching, generation-changing assertions, any responsible advocate would rely upon supporting evidence that is comprehensive and conclusive. Not only is this not the situation, but also there is sound evidence that children exposed to the homosexual lifestyle may be at increased risk for emotional, mental, and even physical harm.

Research data

Heterosexual parenting is the normative model upon which most comprehensive longitudinal research on childrearing has been based. Data on long-term outcomes for children placed in homosexual households are very limited and the available evidence reveals grave concerns. Those current studies that appear to indicate neutral to favorable results from homosexual parenting have critical flaws such as non-longitudinal design, inadequate sample size, biased sample selection, lack of proper controls, and failure to account for confounding variables.2,3,4 Childrearing studies have consistently indicated that children are more likely to thrive emotionally, mentally, and physically in a home with two heterosexual parents versus a home with a single parent. 5,6,7,8,9 Therefore, the burden is on the proponents of homosexual parenting to prove that moving further away from the heterosexual parenting model is appropriate and safe for children.

Risks of Homosexual Lifestyle to Children

Violence among homosexual partners is two to three times more common than among married heterosexual couples. 10,11,12,13,14 Homosexual partnerships are significantly more prone to dissolution than heterosexual marriages with the average homosexual relationship lasting only two to three years. 15,16,17 Homosexual men and women are reported to be inordinately promiscuous involving serial sex partners, even within what are loosely-termed "committed relationships." 18,19,20,21,22 Individuals who practice a homosexual lifestyle are more likely than heterosexuals to experience mental illness,23,24,25 substance abuse,26 suicidal tendencies,27,28 and shortened life spans.29 Although some would claim that these dysfunctions are a result of societal pressures in America, the same dysfunctions exist at inordinately high levels among homosexuals in cultures were the practice is more widely accepted.30 Children reared in homosexual households are more likely to experience sexual confusion, practice homosexual behavior, and engage in sexual experimentation. 31,32,33,34,35 Adolescents and young adults who adopt the homosexual lifestyle, like their adult counterparts, are at increased risk of mental health problems, including major depression, anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, substance dependence, and especially suicidal ideation and suicide attempts.36

Conclusion

The research literature on childrearing by homosexual parents is limited. The environment in which children are reared is absolutely critical to their development. Given the current body of research, the American College of Pediatricians believes it is inappropriate, potentially hazardous to children, and dangerously irresponsible to change the age-old prohibition on homosexual parenting, whether by adoption, foster care, or by reproductive manipulation. This position is rooted in the best available science.

January 22, 2004

The American College of Pediatricians is a national medical association of licensed physicians and healthcare professionals who specialize in the care of infants, children, and adolescents. The mission of the College is "to enable all children to reach their optimal, physical and emotional health and well-being." We promote "a society where all children from the moment of their conception are valued unselfishly." The College further notes, "that children are the future of our nation and society. As such, they deserve to be reared in the best possible family environment and supported by physicians committed to ensuring their optimal health and well-being."

http://www.acpeds.org/?CONTEXT=art&cat=22&art=50
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 05:04 pm
rabel22 wrote:
What a bunch of BS. I know heteros who raised Homo kids and homo couples who raised hetero kids. Sexual orientation isn't something learned its a natural inclination in a person.

However:
Quote:
Pro-Homosexual Researchers Conceal Findings:
Children Raised by Openly Homosexual Parents More Likely to Engage in Homosexuality

By Trayce Hansen, Ph.D.

Research by social scientists, although not definitive, suggests that children reared by openly homosexual parents are far more likely to engage in homosexual behavior than children raised by others. Studies thus far find between 8% and 21% of homosexually parented children ultimately identify as non-heterosexual. For comparison purposes, approximately 2% of the general population are non-heterosexual. Therefore, if these percentages continue to hold true, children of homosexuals have a 4 to 10 times greater likelihood of developing a non-heterosexual preference than other children. ..
http://www.drtraycehansen.com/Pages/writings_prohomo.html
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 06:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
To argue that children should not be placed with a homosexual couple (or a couple of a different color of skin) on the contention that the child might be stigmatized, without knowing whether or not there were a better placement, and especially knowing that the homosexual couple (or couple of a different color of skin) would be the best qualified couple to raise the child--is mere idiocy. And, as i've pointed out, to assume that the child would be more likely to be harmed by social stigma, rather than by a relative incompetence of the care givers, enshrines bigotry using the welfare of the child as an excuse.

I understand the concept of being stigmatized. But, I believe it goes beyond that as the child grows older and moves in circles far from his/her childhood. For example, if the adult child takes a job promotion, and then has to move to a conservative region in the country, it would behoove the adult child to "hide" his gay parentage. Otherwise, the adult child may have a less than postive experience in the new locale.

Sort of like being a Jew in Berlin in 1943, and passing for Aryan. It has its effects on one's mental health, I believe.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 06:11 pm
boomerang wrote:
If people's personal situations are of no interest to you, why would you oppose gays being able to adopt. That's none of your business either.

Personal individual situations are of no interest to me. As I was advised years ago, one should "Mind One's Own Business" to not antagonize anyone. That pertains to individuals, not society in general, which I, and anyone, can ethically have an interest in.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 07:02 pm
An interesting news article regarding bullying and childhood suicide:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080717170428.htm

I believe it is possible that having gay parents can lead to being bullied by an adolescent bully that subscribes to the popular homophobic adolescent culture. Perhaps, having gay parents is not a neutral situation?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:35 am
It's nice that you have found some biased sources Hawkeye.

American College of Pediatrics as part of their core values promotes "the fundamental mother-father family unit."

That isn't science. It is propaganda.

The stuff from Drtracyehansen is laughable. She compares several studies about children of homosexuals but restricts her comparison to a single study of the population at large. The Census bureau lists a higher percentage of people that describe themselves as non heterosexual than the number Hanson selects. The US dept of Health uses a figure larger than hansen does.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 07:55 am
How very interesting. The American Academy of Pediatrics has this to say:

Quote:
"The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes that a considerable body of professional literature provides evidence that children with parents who are homosexual can have the same advantages and the same expectations for health, adjustment, and development as can children whose parents are heterosexual. When two adults participate in parenting a child, they and the child deserve the serenity that comes with legal recognition."

The American College of Pediatricians was founded precisely because the American Academy of Pediatrics supports homosexual marriage and homosexual parenting. The AAP has been in existence for 75 years. ACP was formed less than a decade ago to oppose the AAP position on homosexual parenting.

You can read the ACP's own description of their founding here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:11 am
Setanta wrote:
How very interesting. The American Academy of Pediatrics has this to say:

Quote:
"The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes that a considerable body of professional literature provides evidence that children with parents who are homosexual can have the same advantages and the same expectations for health, adjustment, and development as can children whose parents are heterosexual. When two adults participate in parenting a child, they and the child deserve the serenity that comes with legal recognition."

The American College of Pediatricians was founded precisely because the American Academy of Pediatrics supports homosexual marriage and homosexual parenting. The AAP has been in existence for 75 years. ACP was formed less than a decade ago to oppose the AAP position on homosexual parenting.

You can read the ACP's own description of their founding here.

Amazing what seeking knowledge rather than bigot fodder can find, eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:53 am
It can be accomplished very simply and easily, too. I suspect that the boy had to dig around to find what he thought would be conclusive evidence . . . i guess he thinks the rest of us are too stupid to check up on his sources.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:24 am
Oh now I get it!

People who adopt are some kind of Borg species who all have the same story so Foofie can care about "society" without caring about people. That must be why they don't bother to investigate people who want to adopt.

And adult men should have the legal right to rape women (and girls even!)but other adults should not have the right to consent to whatever kind of sex they want to have.

How could I have been so blind?

It all makes perfect sense.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:32 am
I have met more gay parents who I adore, admire, and ask for advice from then I have straight parents.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
It can be accomplished very simply and easily, too. I suspect that the boy had to dig around to find what he thought would be conclusive evidence . . . i guess he thinks the rest of us are too stupid to check up on his sources.

I have not taken as position on the question, and said that the science seems to not be settled. Only if and when you show that the science has been settled will you have shown me to be wrong. I don't think this will happen, as I am rarely wrong about what the evidence shows. I am also well aware of how science has been corrupted by money and politics on controversial issues. All science on a controversial issue such as this must be closely looked at to see if it is real science or if it is rather pressure group PR. The homosexual pressure group has for decades been one of the most militant such movements around. Criticising my evidence does nothing to make your case, if you want to be sway people such as me who require evidence in support of a position before adopting said position you will need to make a case. In the mean time i will continue to take the position that we don't have the information that we need to decide the question.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:46 pm
I don't give a rat's ass what you're convinced of, Rapist Boy. I have zero respect for you and zero interest in your opinions. I'm just pointing out that what has been posted so far has been no evidence at all, because other people who are reading here might be misled, and i'd rather not think that was happening.

Mexican stand-off on the evidence? Yeah . . . so what?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:48 pm
boomerang wrote:
Oh now I get it!

People who adopt are some kind of Borg species who all have the same story so Foofie can care about "society" without caring about people. That must be why they don't bother to investigate people who want to adopt.

And adult men should have the legal right to rape women (and girls even!)but other adults should not have the right to consent to whatever kind of sex they want to have.

How could I have been so blind?

It all makes perfect sense.

I have said that we don't have the information needed to decide if whe should allow gay couples to adopt kids, I have never said word one about the freedom to engage in homosexual sex. It would be helpful if you could try to follow along, I know that you are not really as stupid as you sometimes act.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
I don't give a rat's ass what you're convinced of, Rapist Boy. I have zero respect for you and zero interest in your opinions. I'm just pointing out that what has been posted so far has been no evidence at all, because other people who are reading here might be misled, and i'd rather not think that was happening.

Mexican stand-off on the evidence? Yeah . . . so what?

In order for there to be a standoff on evidence you would need to present some. Currently my position wins by default.
0 Replies