Plural society vs Pluralistic society

fansy

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:01 am
Quote:
Fredrik Barth defines plural society thus:A plural society is a society combining ethnic contrasts: the economic interdependence of those groups, and the ecological specialization (i.e., use of different environmental resources by each ethnic group).

But "pluralistic society" seems to apprear more often on websites. Do you think "pluralistic society" is also correct usage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,379 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 06:52 am
Pluralistic society doesn't necessarily mean the same thing. A pluralistic society usually refers to a society which intentionally accommodates a wide variety of opinions. In the United States, it has been used for many, many years to mean a society in which a great variety of religions were practiced. That was a delusion to a certain extent, because these were largely different varieties of Protestant Christianity.

I suspect this term plural society has been coined precisely because of the long common usage of pluralistic society to mean a society with many different religious sects.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:26 am
Pluralistic comes first before plural?
Quote:
I suspect this term plural society has been coined precisely because of the long common usage of pluralistic society to mean a society with many different religious sects.

So does that mean "pluralistic society" has been used for quite awhile before "plural society", a shorter phrase, is coined to denote to a society with pluralistic characteristics ...?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:23 am
I'd have to say yes, simply because i'd never heard of "plural society" until you posted this thread.

However, you obviously failed completely to understand the distinction i was making. The usage of "pluralistic," at least in the United States, refers specifically to a diversity of religious sects. The "plural society" you refer to, as defined in your opening post, is about things entirely different.

I can't help you if you don't read and understand what is told to you.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:24 pm
Frederick Barth wrote in 1958 about "plural societie and it has a specific definition (concerning ethnicity) in his works.
0 Replies