Relationship therapy

EileenM

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 04:21 pm
I was wondering if anyone has gone to therapy/councelling with their partner. Is so, please share your experiences. the types of questions, what kind of therapy, did it help???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 672 • Replies: 3
No top replies

EileenM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 01:56 am
My reason? well, a lot of stuff is happening and I really feel like I need to talk with a professional. Maybe just once, or a few sessions. But it was my boyfriend that suggested we go together because a lot of my angst is due to the loss of communication between us in the past couple months... I was so thrilled that he suggested it. It would help so much to be able to talk to him with a 'referee' type in the room. Or someone to ask the right questions because now when I try to talk I blank out, and end up crying...
SO, back to my question, whats it like? is it worth it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 11:34 am
Like any other learning situation, the success of relationship therapy depends on both parties doing a great deal of homework.

The therapist will help the two of you define your problemsand understand your problems--but the two of you are going to have to solve your problems.

For many people, paying money for advice makes that advice more valuable, more worth following.

For other people the fact that they are paying money for advice means they are entitled to ignore it or disparage it or twist it.

If both parties are sincere and willing to change therapy can be a big help.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 11:36 am
I work with lots of counselors, so maybe I can offer something here.

A good counselor does not tell you what you should do...he/she asks the right questions to help you figure out what to do. And he/she prevents the discussion from going in unhelpful directions. It's important that you find someone that you feel understands you. It isn't unusual for people to switch counselors, so if the first one doesn't feel right to you, don't hesitate to go elsewhere.

Personally, I have had both good and bad experiences with counseling. But I wouldn't hesitate to go again if and when I felt it might be helpful. Sometimes a professional listener is just what you need.

Oh, and it ALWAYS feels weird at first. But a good counselor will put you at ease.

Does that help?
0 Replies