manner of walking with extended legs

fansy

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:11 am
Quote:
"The children exhibiting this syndrome originated from a family having 19 children," he wrote in another recent paper, in the journal Neuroquantology. Five of these, aged 14 to 32 years, "walked on two palms and two feet, with extended legs… They could stand up, but only for a short time, with flexed knees and heads."

Could you describe this manner of walking with leggs extended?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 567 • Replies: 9
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:02 am
Means the knees aren't bent. Is it the Ulas family? Here's a picture of what it looks like, if I'm right.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/allfours/images/abou-l.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:52 pm
Re: manner of walking with extended legs
fansy wrote:
Quote:
"The children exhibiting this syndrome originated from a family having 19 children," he wrote in another recent paper, in the journal Neuroquantology. Five of these, aged 14 to 32 years, "walked on two palms and two feet, with extended legs… They could stand up, but only for a short time, with flexed knees and heads."

It's usually called "walking on all fours".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 12:19 am
Re: manner of walking with extended legs
McTag wrote:
fansy wrote:
Quote:

It's usually called "walking on all fours".

yes and no.

normally when humans walk on all fours, we do it with flexed knees, or actually with our knees on the ground. see babies.

try it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 12:35 am
Well for goodness sake. I was trying to be helpful here. I am aware of the difference between this and crawling.

Let me try another answer: this is an egregious mode of perambulation caused by a mutation in this population and to the best of my knowledge there is no word in the wider language for adults walking as babies sometimes do, on all fours with arms and legs almost straight.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:17 am
McTag wrote:
Well for goodness sake. I was trying to be helpful here. I am aware of the difference between this and crawling.

Let me try another answer: this is an egregious mode of perambulation caused by a mutation in this population and to the best of my knowledge there is no word in the wider language for adults walking as babies sometimes do, on all fours with arms and legs almost straight.

Lol! I wasn't meaning to be rude, McTag...I was in a hurry, and was simply saying that this is an UNUSUAL manner of walking on all fours, thus the "extended leg" description that fansy is struggling with.

"Walking on all fours" would not really fully describe the oddness of the manner of progression, and thus I would not see it as an accurate translation for fansy. Perhaps the mouthful "walking on all fours, but with extended (or straight?) legs" is the only option? It's clumsy...but perhaps that is reasonable, given what it is describing.

I can see that you might have mistaken my hurry for curtness, though.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:25 am
Okay, I'll try not to be too upset. :wink:

McT xx
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:49 am
Were you upset Mac?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:58 am
BBB
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3317_allfours.html
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:45 pm
Re: BBB

Hah! "On all fours". An old phrase, and a bit awkward-sounding I admit, but that's the nearest one I can think of.

Yes, Spendy, I cried myself to sleep.
0 Replies