• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,717 • Replies: 50
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:58 am
Brand X,

Thank you for the Refute. I have been looking for a document like this for some time.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:46 am
Bump. This thread isn't getting the love it needs from the left.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:13 am
Dubya is one of the dumbest human beings ever to occupy high office.

He is an embarrassment to the office -- and to the country in general.

The resume' and the refutation be damned. Neither will make the dolt seem any smarter -- and it is damn near impossible to make him seem any dumber.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:16 am
Oh, c'mon Frank. Quit holding back. There are plenty of things he can do to appear dumber... Just like there are things that he does do to appear less dumb. It's all opinion. History will judge...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:29 am
Thing is, the "Resumé" was a silly rhetorical indictment of W. Refuting it might be satisfactory but it could just as easily have been ignored.

Bush's intelligence is a non-issue to me. I care not a whit. I care only about the decisions the country makes. And those decisiosn are not made exclusively by Bush.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:34 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Thing is, the "Resumé" was a silly rhetorical indictment of W. Refuting it might be satisfactory but it could just as easily have been ignored.

Silly as it may be, some of the points in the resume keep coming around as though they were gospel. The author does a good job of giving FACTS refuting each individual claim. The election, Bush going AWOL, etc...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:27 am
McGentrix wrote:
Silly as it may be, some of the points in the resume keep coming around as though they were gospel. The author does a good job of giving FACTS refuting each individual claim. The election, Bush going AWOL, etc...

From the Resume'

Quote:
Traded Sammy Sosa to the Chicago White Sox

From the "Refute"

Quote:
Sammy Sosa was not traded to the Cubs -- he was traded to the White Sox.

I must admit, I'm quite impressed with the refuter's ability to refute a claim that was never made. It takes a special genius to take a true statement, recast it as a lie, and then repeat the true statement as a way of refuting the original true statement.

But perhaps you had other, more piquant examples in mind, McGentrix?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:33 am
joefromchicago wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

From the Resume'

Quote:
Traded Sammy Sosa to the Chicago White Sox

From the "Refute"

Quote:
Sammy Sosa was not traded to the Cubs -- he was traded to the White Sox.

I must admit, I'm quite impressed with the refuter's ability to refute a claim that was never made. It takes a special genius to take a true statement, recast it as a lie, and then repeat the true statement as a way of refuting the original true statement.

But perhaps you had other, more piquant examples in mind, McGentrix?

That's it? That's the extent of your rebuttal? 28 pages of truth refuting a laundry list of lies and you pick out something about sammy Sosa?

Hmmm... I would have expected more from you ...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:42 am
The reliability of this one person finding one or two sources including hearsay to refute what is basically a humorous shake on the President (something that is done on a daily basis by Jon Stewart, Leno et al, and weekly by Bill Maher) is comedy in itself. Neither one would likely stand up in court but it's fun to banter them around -- the truth is in the pudding. Where Bush is at now and it doesn't look good.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:46 am
(I know there is a growing paranoia that items like this will sway the voter. If the voter is that stupid...but wait, they "elected" Bush).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:47 am
McGentrix wrote:
That's it? That's the extent of your rebuttal? 28 pages of truth refuting a laundry list of lies and you pick out something about sammy Sosa?

Hmmm... I would have expected more from you ...

Those examples were lifted from the first page of the resume' and the second or third page of the "refute." I couldn't be bothered to read much further in either case. What can I say: I have a short attention span. I blame society.

As far as I could tell, from a cursory reading of the resume', it is just a re-hash of a lot of criticisms, fair and unfair, that have been circulating for years. And as far as I could tell, from a cursory reading of the "refute," it is just a re-hash of a lot of the defenses, valid and invalid, that Bush's defenders have been copying-and-pasting for about the same amount of time.

Bottom line: who cares? Life is too short to read sophomoric, oh-so-clever digs at Bush and 28-page hack-jobs with citations to right-wing publications, internet blogs, and "navy instructors who wish to remain anonymous." Sammy Sosa, on the other hand -- now that's a subject I can get excited about.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:57 am
How 'bout them White Sox, Joe?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:16 pm
sozobe wrote:
How 'bout them White Sox, Joe?

Sozobe, I wish the White Sox all the success in the world. I hope they win their division, and then march through the playoffs and straight into the world series (preferably humiliating the Yankees and/or Red Sox along the way). And I hope that the Cubs will be there waiting to face them, because there is nothing that I desire more in this world than to see the Cubs beat the livin' bejeezus out of the Sox in a world series.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:17 pm
Trading Sammy Sosa is enough loss of points to deny Bush the presidency of an outhouse manufacturer but his Cee grades in a business college and his business failures are still there to back up his ineptness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:19 pm
Hee hee! Wasn't sure where your loyalties lay.

Cubs fan meself. Sort of. I live here, but haven't really shaken my allegiance to the Twins. (Grew up in Mpls.)

White Sox - Cubs would rock.

(Sorry to get off-track, Brand X, and welcome. I always like debunking-type stuff, though I tend to agree with the consensus here that as debunkings go, this one's not really earth-shattering.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:32 pm
I am always doubting the AWOL bit -- too difficult to hide. But even with leave, it looks like he took a hell of a lot of time off. Wonder who fixed that?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:42 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:33 pm
The synapsis don't quite connect, Frank -- an aftermath of drinking and drugging too much. He's supposedly completely rehabilitated on the "One Step" program (with Mrs. Bush as his higher power) but still can't handle eating a pretzel sober.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:42 pm
But did you guys see her yesterday, when the press ambushed him for a sound bite after he atended the prayer service for eleventh September victims? She looked like the illustration for "severely medicated" in the dictionary.
0 Replies