Feeling lost

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:32 pm
Ok ..newbie here that needs some advice and needs to vent

I have been my relationship with my husband for 15yrs. Married for 7 of those years. We have a wonderful child together who is almost a teen. Now when we started out dating we were great.. had some fights here and there and then split up for a bit. When our child was born he decided to leave for almost a year. (20ish is young for a guy I guess).

We have been through everything together including me being in a car accident and him in a major injury that took a couple years to get through and recover. I have been there every single step of the way! Heck, I was at the hospital every single day then took care of our child and then me.

He can be very verbally abusive and when he is I end up feeling like I am not even worth it at all. I feel very unimportant and not respected. I have been taking time lately to do things for me and only me as I have taken care of him and our child for so long ignoring me.

a couple years ago I had a miscarriage and at the time he was cheating on me. He left me during this time when I was going through all the pain and issues he left me for another woman. I confronted her and told her he was married ..she just played dumb and said "I have no idea what you are talking about" Stupid woman ..anyway after this situation we got back together after 7 months. I really was upset .. he had kept telling me he wanted a divorce. Then he had his accident and so called saw the light*~* and then realized just how important his family was to him.. how important I am to him.

After a few small issues I had trust in him..then a couple months back he was working away from home. Talking with him on the phone he tells me that he is going to go watch a hockey game with his buddy that he works with.. sure no problem. Next night.. says he is going out to dinner with some lady who works with him through another company (she is 51yrs old .. much older) said it was no big deal and that I am making a big issue out of it. I heard someone in the background when he was on the phone.. told me it was the TV.. BS! So they went out to dinner and he paid.. (later found this out) When I called him on the phone he acts like whatever I am saying is no big deal at all and that there is nothing to worry about.

I got him to contact this woman and told him what to write in the e-mail so not to make her know what to write. She wrote back that it was no big deal etc. has kids, boyfriend ..just nice to talk with someone instead of being alone every night... I wrote back saying that it is not appropriate to be going out to dinner with a married man and that she is to pay him back.. Not one word in my email was rude or something that I should not have said.. in fact I was quite polite. Considering that the night before the dinner he had actually went out on a walk with this woman by a lake.. gawd!! Lied to me!! Trust went very quickly down the tube.. I really believed that he was out with his buddy.

All this was found out through a gut feeling and it was right. I also had to call up the place he was going to stay for the next week to confirm and sure enough this woman was staying there. Thank goodness the woman on the phone out of the blue decided to tell me about this woman. I did not pry.. did not ask.. said that this lady recommended the place. Found out her age, was married etc. It is more the fact that I was lied to and I really did trust him. He sees it as no big deal and that it was like talking to his mom..After my second email to this woman she threatened to get him fired.. hmmmm struck some kind of note! He freaked out on me and I told him to chill out as I was super polite (showed him the email and he agreed.. and that it is her making the threats.. maybe he should take a look at what he did and not ever do it again)

So as punishment from him for finding out through email (checked the ONE time due to a gut feeling) I did not get an anniversary gift this year. He told me that he lost respect for me. This really hurt as I did nothing wrong.

My b-day has just passed I once again I got nothing.. this is the first time in the 15 years that I have not been given anything.. no card.. nada! He keeps saying he has something planned.. umm ok.. yeah right! I feel very unloved and not respected.. I feel that I am not good enough.

We have been fighting non-stop for the past 4 months. Mostly over money.. money is always the issue. He works hard.. very hard! I acknowledge this and tell him how proud I am of him, how wonderful he is etc. I don't put him down as that is not something that is right to do and is not respectful. I tell him my feelings and then I get told that I am exaggerating. I do housework.. deal with the bills and take care of our child here and make dinner/lunch..drive him to work.. pick him up. Come to think of it I do a lot of stuff for him and I really would love some thanks for what I do.

I am trying to find solutions to our money situation including applying for work at places I would not want to work at just so that it gets better. At the same time I want job satisfaction like he has as I have been working at jobs were I have been underappreicated etc. 10yrs + working in an office environment is just enough for me. Finding work were we live is not exactly easy either.. I am doing cold calls and just walking in and dropping off resumes.. I want to fix the problem.

He will leave when he gets angry.. I am use to spending time by myself. Our friends don't want to hang out with us due to our issues. He will yell and scream...put down and just not be a happy person at all. He seems very angry all the time. I feel during this time that I should just not care as I don't want to get hurt. I tell him to say if he is not happy with me and that will make it easier than instead of just beating around the bush. He tells me that he does want to be with me and that he loves me..he is sorry
Then he will say he is starting to hate me... does not care anymore. Why should I feel good in this relationship if this is what is being said to me.!? Why would someone say such hurtful things?! He says that he says them because he is really mad .. does not mean them and that he likes to p*ss me off!

I feel not listened to. I have dreams that I am not listened to and will even wake up crying. He had to wake me up once because I was hyperventilating from a bad dream.

I just don't know anymore. I know that I love him with my everything but I need to have love back.. I need respect.. to be heard.. to be important. I don't want to just be the wife at home for whatever he needs and whenever he needs it.

Thanks for letting me vent
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 945 • Replies: 17
No top replies

star24

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 05:25 pm
leave
You need to leave him. I know it is EASIER said then done! I know this, i have had experience with immediate and extended family with similar experiences.. But you have to sit down and ask yourself one thing.. Are you Happy? Do you lay your head to rest each night with a grin and can't wait to greet a new day?. Do you laugh often and embrace life?. Are you healthy, talkative and pleasant? What's the point of life if your just unhappy/worried or not trusting the person your with... It might be tough, but it's your life, and you don't want to be 85 years old and realize these things. As i said, it is easier said then done.. but it can be done and thousands (at least) of women are examples of that. I wish you luck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 05:28 pm
You're probably going to hate this suggestion, but I think you should get counseling. Why? Because, for one thing, you're taking "punishment" from someone who is a peer, not a parent. You are tolerating a breach of trust but it's eating you up inside -- and probably giving you massive stress issues, some of which you may not be seeing. You've also got self-esteem that is so lowered you're willing to go anywhere, work anywhere, and take any kind of crap, in order to keep the marriage together and somehow fix it all.

You cannot fix it all by yourself. It may not even be fixable. But you need to have a perspective other than your own in this. With your friends absent, a counselor is a good choice. Even if your friends were around, you'd still do well with an objective professional. I am talking about counseling here, not drug therapy. I am not suggesting that you are ill. I am merely suggesting that you speak with someone.

And another thing. You have a child (whose gender you did not mention, but it doesn't really matter). What is happening is that your child is growing up thinking that this is a perfectly lovely way for men to treat women. It's not. It's crap and it sucks and you don't have to take it.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:35 pm
I agree - off to counseling you go . . . . even if he won't, you need to find someone to help you look at this situation more clearly.

A big clue are these dreams you are having. (You can't be heard! You can't get his attention!) This is upsetting you. Mostly because you feel that you are losing "controll" over him. He was always so needy (and you took care of him and your child) and now your child should be going off on his/her own soon, and husband does not seem to "need" you either. In the meantime, you have no ID of your own. You have done this to yourself over the years . . .

You don't say how old you are, but these things happen when the kids don't need mom much any more and the parents - who have forgotten to be spouses to each other - look at each other and can't decide if they really want to grow old with each other.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:14 pm
Family counseling is wonderful, it gives everyone a break from
that blaming cycle thing that goes on. Gets you to focus your
energy on what you CAN DO. Another thing I see about the
relationship IF you are really in it for "THE LONG HAUL" is like
K. Gibran says in "The Prophet" about marriage - something
like marriage being like a MOVING OCEAN BETWEEN TWO
SHORES ... and it leaves me with the sensation that this is one
of life's longest-term things that goes on, aside from life itself.
Longer than a person stays at one job usually. Longer than
you continue with a hobby usually. Over long long years, lots
of changes happen, feelings come and go, change and change
again. People often seem to go through some of the most
horrific periods - only to come out on the other side a few mos
later as much in love as when they first met -BUT BETTER and
GREATER and WISER. I think it is worth the work, and hedge
the bets with the assistance of therapy for OBJECTIVE POINT
OF VIEW.
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:50 am
im so sorry for your problems.

I would suggest immediate counseling and if that doesnt work Make plans to leave him....I cant even fathom How Difficult something like that may be but as ive read in your Post he's Cheated on your,Lies to you,fights with you and doesnt treat you right.....and Done some other Horrible things (leaving You After you just had a miscarrage? Omg)

your BETTER than this and Shouldnt have to put up with someone who treats you like that.Stand up for yourself and dont let Him Go again "ive seen the light! I love you!" It sounds like you've given him so many chances its rediculas.....

Find someone who can Treat you Like the wonderful person that im sure you are and you'll be happy Again...best of luck to you and Your son.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:16 am
Quote:
I need to have love back.. I need respect.. to be heard.. to be important

Everyone does -- but it doesn't sound like you're ever going to get this from him.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:18 am
Gosh.
Dont wait so long to be important to yourself.

Relationships should not be dull and full of pain.

Get out . Its simple from the outside (here) looking in ( to your post)
get out.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:20 am
Quote:
Get out . Its simple from the outside (here) looking in ( to your post)
get out.

Agreed!
0 Replies

Abracadabra

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:28 am
Thanks everyone for your posts

First.. I am 33 yrs old so not super young. We have a daughter and she is aware that parents are not always going to get along. We have talks about how people should treat others and that it is human to sometimes make mistakes. I know that when she is older that she will make good decisions for herself. She is a very smart little lady.

As for myself.. I agree.. I am looking into counseling and am on a wait list for us to go in. It is not something as simple as "get out". I am taking time for me and doing things that I enjoy.. Most of the time things are really good. (yes I am sure many people say this) He is not physicaly abusive so there is not threat there. Relationships have their up's and downs and challenges in life. At the end of life it would be just too easy if everything worked out tickity-boo.. it's better to say "look what we have gone through to get to this point.. I learned lessons and grew even stronger from this"

I really am not so sure what it is that he expects from me. Some days I feel that he can tell me a lie and that I am going to buy it. e.g.: Asked him to call his parents to talk to them about a couple things. He dialed and then said oh it's busy.. time for them to get a second line.. tried this twice. I pick up the phone.. look.. he did not even dial the number fully. I mean I already have one child .. I don't need another. He said that he just did not want to talk to them and that I would not stop pushing him. I had said that it would have been much easier for him to just tell me that instead of treating me like I am stupid and would believe him. \

Some days it is like having a conversation with a child... no eye contact.. just an angry guy because he works so hard that at the end of the day the money just goes to home/food/bills and nothing else is around for our own home or things we want to do. I totally understand this frustration..I just don't have to like the anger. It is almost like a bipolar individual.. I get a phone message that says how much he loves me .. how wonderful I am .. etc. then he just gets angry with the situation of lack of funds and it is like dealing with two different people.

He is a work-a-holic. Work is always number one.. always has been and always will be. Drives me nuts!

I try to live in the moment.. this is what we have now and I am enjoying it.. everything happens for a reason...I am exactly where I am supposed to be at this moment. I live life not worrying about little things .. sure money is a big thing.. but if I can't do anything about it at this very moment.. why worry about it?! I enjoy what I do have.. clean water to drink.. a roof over my head.. food for us to eat.. etc. I feel like I am spiritually evolving and that it's really hard to do when the other person is just so angry all the time.

I don't want to be the one to always find the solutions. I want to have grown up conversations. I explained to him that if someone did this to him at work that it would be totally inappropriate.. to not pay attention when someone is talking or to leave the room or just talk back and say you are listening to their feelings and then to have the same conversation over and over again and be told that you are bitching when all a person is trying to do is have a conversation. Maybe he is just not happy .. maybe he is not in love with me anymore.. maybe he does not love himself..

Thanks Jespah for the suggestion.. I don't hate it. Counseling is a great idea! At least this way we will have some tools to work with and a mediator. Hope they can get us in soon.
0 Replies

Borealis

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:22 pm
Abracadabra,

Has your husband agreed to go?
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 02:39 am
yeah....Thats another thing....Does your Husband REALIZE that you feel this way? Has he agreed to conciling and that there a problem?

Are you Speaking to him on this And Telling him your unhappy with what He's Doing to you?
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 03:33 am
I would very much like to hear the other side to this story.

You say you trust your husband, but yet, you constantly seem to check up on him.
You write mails on his behalf.
You ask a lady whom he invited to dinner (for whatever reason), to pay him back.

I think all these things are out of order as much as him treating you badly.

So if both of you can go to councelling, I think that would be a wonderful idea.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 03:34 am
And one more thought:

33 is pretty young in my eyes!
Not baby/teen young, but you still have all your life in front of you!
0 Replies

Abracadabra

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:18 pm
Bohne wrote:

You say you trust your husband, but yet, you constantly seem to check up on him.
You ask a lady whom he invited to dinner (for whatever reason), to pay him back.

So if both of you can go to councelling, I think that would be a wonderful idea.

1st I don't "spy" or check up on him.. these are every day things that are not hidden nor do I have to look very hard for. If his email is open on my computer and he asks me to look something up.. ummm yeah I am going to ask about certain emails. I go off gut feelings and this time it was very right! I don't like having to defend myself for going with my gut and knowing that something is not right at the time.. what I did was ok and my husband has that understanding. Yes.. he is my husband and I am aware of what is going on in his life just as much as he is aware of what is going on in mine.

2nd In regards to the emails.. he asked me to write it and that he was "ok" with it so I am not sure how that is not ok. Asking the lady to pay him back was not out of order! Her accepting the dinner was out of order! Him paying for the dinner was out of order! People take advantage of the fact that he is a gentleman and this was way out of order for this woman to do this.

Anyway.. you may view this as out of order but we (my husband and I) do not see it that way. All relationships are different.. thank goodness.. not everyone is going to do something the same way. I have not done anything wrong!

Yes going to talk to someone is a great idea.. Yes my husband realizes I feel this way.. and yes he has agreed to go .. lots and lots of talking in our relationship.. just two very strong minded individuals
0 Replies

Abracadabra

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:19 pm
Bohne wrote:

1st I don't "spy" or check up on him.. these are every day things that are not hidden nor do I have to look very hard for. If his email is open on my computer and he asks me to look something up.. ummm yeah I am going to ask about certain emails. I go off gut feelings and this time it was very right! I don't like having to defend myself for going with my gut and knowing that something is not right at the time.. what I did was ok and my husband has that understanding. Yes.. he is my husband and I am aware of what is going on in his life just as much as he is aware of what is going on in mine.

2nd In regards to the emails.. he asked me to write it and that he was "ok" with it so I am not sure how that is not ok. Asking the lady to pay him back was not out of order! Her accepting the dinner was out of order! Him paying for the dinner was out of order! People take advantage of the fact that he is a gentleman and this was way out of order for this woman to do this.

Anyway.. you may view this as out of order but we (my husband and I) do not see it that way. All relationships are different.. thank goodness.. not everyone is going to do something the same way. I have not done anything wrong!

Yes going to talk to someone is a great idea.. Yes my husband realizes I feel this way.. and yes he has agreed to go .. lots and lots of talking in our relationship.. just two very strong minded individuals
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:16 am
I think that you shouldn't waste your precious time on him and find yourself a real man, who loves you back.
But, if you think that he might be worth one more chance (which is usually the case in this kind of situation), you need to talk to him.
He probably won't want to listen. Psh. What am I saying?
Of course he won't want to listen.
He might even walk out when he realizes what the conversation is about.
But it would be most helpful if you vented to him.
Tell him some of the things you've told us.
Heck, maybe even show him what you wrote, but don't mention the fact that you posted it somewhere online - just say that you wrote down what you felt.
Maybe, if he reads it, he will realize what he is doing.
And maybe that might be motive enough to change.
Though changing would be extremely hard for a man his age, it sometimes, rarely, possible.
Praying will help too.
In fact, it results in the biggest success stories. =]

Well, good luck, in whatever choice you choose to follow.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:19 am
Oh, and you were completely not spying. Not at all.
You might have been doubting, and you might have been a little bit suspicious, but that is only normal.
Especially in a situation such as yours.

Heck, I'd look through his emails if he left his email open and the like.
Why not? I'd want to see if he has something to hide. In your case, he did. So being curious helped in your situation.
Props to you!
0 Replies