Alkaline Diet for Cancer Patients

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:04 pm
Does anyone one know about this type of diet. It's said to assist cancer patients fight off cancer (along with medical treatment). My cousin and her family are embracing it (it's a healthy diet anyway, why not). It basically recommends a diet high in fruits and vegetables and water. The problem this family has is that fruits and vegetables, raw, may introduce bacteria into the girl's weakened immune system, causing problems.

How much do you have to cook fruits or vegies to make them safe?
What is the best way to cook them for safety while retaining their nutritive qualities?
Does freezing fruit kill harmful bacteria?
Does anyone have any great recipes for this diet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,798 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:12 pm
There are many differing theories on how to prepare the food, but it is, in my opinion, true that an alkaline diet is very helpful. I was advising my brother, a cancer patient of the fact, when he informed me that alkaline foods were all he could get down. So, he didn't need to be told. I am not in those dire straights, but I make certain my diet is somewhat more alkaline than acid all the time.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:20 pm
Re: Alkaline Diet for Cancer Patients
I know nothing about this diet, but I know about safe food preservation.

littlek wrote:

How much do you have to cook fruits or vegies to make them safe?

You can do a quick blanching in boiling water. Different veggies require different times. Any good food preservation book will tell you the proper time. Find a copy of "Putting Food By" or one of the Rodale Press books on food preservation.

littlek wrote:

What is the best way to cook them for safety while retaining their nutritive qualities?

Blanching. Quick stir fry.

littlek wrote:
Does freezing fruit kill harmful bacteria?

No, bacteria is not killed by freezing. It's why you first blanch.

littlek wrote:
Does anyone have any great recipes for this diet?

I'll have to think about this last one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:40 pm
I would not begin to advise this girl (don't know her age) on diet. I'd pay attention to what Dana Farber dieticians would have to say about the situation, not to mention her primary physician...

Personally I've no idea of any correlations re lymphoma. And generally, (how can one generalize?) I don't know if cancer patients need more or less protein, some kind of pH, whatever vitamins/minerals, or whatever group therapy (last I looked the group support thing was downpegged, but this all changes from study to study).

There is a certain apricot pit flume that happens, which I can sympathize with as a ca patient, but not as a science related person.

I guess, lilK, that I would eyeball if I could the recommendations of the DF staff and the searched plans of the family. I have a biased pov, so I'll say, watch out. Faith in pH sounds simplistic at the least. In any case, there is probably relevant info out there for positive or negative points of view.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:43 pm
My thinking was "christ on a crutch". A day or two and they're into hoo haw.
I see this a potential threat for her nutrition.

I understand lots of people will disagree with me, so it goes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:05 pm
OssoB, I agree with you very strongly, and so do most of the med sites I've just been looking at.

This site http://www.lymphoma-net.org/healthy-living.cfm has a number of points that I recall from, well, from knowing people with cancer, including non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

Quote:
As with liquids, it is often easier to take small amounts of food at fairly frequent intervals rather than try to stick to the usual routine of three meals a day.

Quote:
It is often a good idea to avoid favourite foods during times of sickness after chemotherapy or radiotherapy. This is because such foods can become associated with the sickness and then always bring on feelings of nausea.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:11 pm
there is a good diet section here

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/youngpeople/page7 with a link to an online booklet
0 Replies