The Lorax by Dr Seuss

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:16 am
Ahh Farmerman... when I was an educator I avoided the silly phonics vs. whole language nonsense. In my opinion, both sides of this debate are idiots since each side wants to restrict the many ways humans learn.

Dr. Suess is about play; the natural way for humans to learn (which is why we evolved with a desire to have fun).

Dr. Suess plays with language and ideas in a way that is creative, whimsical and fun.

If you can't indulge in inspired nonsense, what is childhood (or adulthood) for?

Quote:

Then the North-Going Zax puffed his chest up with pride.
"I never," he said, "take a step to one side.
And I'll prove to you that I won't change my ways
If I have to keep standing here fifty-nine days!"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:36 am
please dont confuse creativity with reading Dr Suess. Just because its an approved shibb of a particular education age doesnt mean that he knew anything that was worth anything other than propogating ear worms. My kids went their own chosen ways and Suess NEVER ever crossed their radars. That I find purely comforting , as Ive been , as a parent, always exposed to the conclusion that "this is really deep" whenever Suess came into conversation. I think Suess was more of comfort to the parents than the kids.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:41 am
farmerman wrote:
please dont confuse creativity with reading Dr Suess. Just because its an approved shibb of a particular education age doesnt mean that he knew anything that was worth anything other than propogating ear worms. My kids went their own chosen ways and Suess NEVER ever crossed their radars. That I find purely comforting , as Ive been , as a parent, always exposed to the conclusion that "this is really deep" whenever Suess came into conversation. I think Suess was more of comfort to the parents than the kids.

I loved Suess as a kid. My brother and I could recite some of the books. I still get the warm fuzzies just thinking about my mother reading the books to us at an early age.

Get thee to a library, Mr. Farmerman, and read some Suess.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:45 am
I also loved Suess as a kid.

My three year old eats him up.

Has anyone else read Bartholomew and the Oobleck? A great story for kids a little older.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:48 am
Try Winnie the Pooh, farmerman. Nonsense, of course, but what a vocabulary.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:48 am
ebrown_p wrote:
The Zax (which happens to be in the same book as the Sneetches) is my personal favorite... probably because I relate so well to the main characters.

don't budge heh?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:52 am
Quote:

"Never budge! That's my rule. Never budge in the least!
Not an inch to the west! Not an inch to the east!
I'll stay here, not budging! I can and I will
If it makes you and me and the whole world stand still!"
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:54 am
I am desperately trying to shield my little one from the Disney bastardization of Winnie the Pooh (and with TV, its a losing battle).

She is a bit young for the prose... but I hope it isn't ruined for her by the time she is ready.

I hate Disney.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 11:41 am
my kids read everything from "wind in the Willows" to the deeper works of Loren Eisely and Aldo Leopold. My daughter did a book report on RAchel CArson when she was in third grade. Im sure the kids read Suess in their little classes,Its just that they both often commented that the work and illustration was "lame".

Maybe its a chocolate and vanilla thing eh?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 11:45 am
Farmerman, the "deeper works" your kids read are all fine and good, but it sounds like they missed out on fun.

I hope they at least read Lewis Carroll.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 11:53 am
thats a silly premise e.
"missing out on fun" by not following Sues. I think youre being a bit defensive . Dont worry, I shant make snide comments about your choice of infantile reading materials.

LIKE HELL I SHANT.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 12:11 pm
I enjoyed Dr. Seuss ever since I first laid my hands on the first book, don't remember which one. That was maybe 10 years back. I think it's just as wonderful for adults as it is for kids.
I love onomatopoeia, especially when combined with satire and witty play on words.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 12:47 pm
None of my children expressed much interest in Seuss, except, when the youngest became a mother, she turned to his stories. As much as she pushes it, her four young children don't pay Seuss any mind, however.
0 Replies