farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 04:42 am
no time, try to summarize
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:17 am
farmerman wrote:
no time, try to summarize

It will take you half the time to read the book, and it's a good book.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:22 am
and its point? I never read any Suess to my kids.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:31 am
farmerman wrote:

Suess is wonderful. It's never too late to read his books.

Here is the description of The Lorax from Amazon:

Quote:
The Lorax is an ecological warning that still rings true today amidst the dangers of clear-cutting, pollution, and disregard for the earth's environment. In The Lorax, we find what we've come to expect from the illustrious doctor: brilliantly whimsical rhymes, delightfully original creatures, and weirdly undulating illustrations. But here there is also something more--a powerful message that Seuss implores both adults and children to heed.

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:39 am
I think this is one of his best books!

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss...

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/Lorax.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:41 am
Im 'growed up' and I read Dr Seuss too..
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:44 am
The videos are an excellent interpretation of the story!

And, each video is short.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:05 am
I oftentimes feel like the Lorax of my neighborhood. Cutting down the woodlands to make room for McMansions so two people and a small dog never have to lay eyes on each other is a favorite soapbox issue of mine. We now have empty (and ugly, I might add) spec houses on cleared lots that aren't selling due to the housing crisis. In these cases the woodlands were cleared so ZERO people could live there.

Not to mention (ok, don't mind if I do...) that replacing woodlands with impervious materials (houses, patios, driveways, tennis courts, and turf grass forces the rain water to flow onto neighboring properties that are now struggling to keep from flooding.

It makes my blood boil.

Did I mention that this is a favorite soapbox issue?

edit: The Lorax is obviously one of my favorite Seuss books/videos. Others were oft-read and watched with my children as well.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:19 am
JPB wrote:
I oftentimes feel like the Lorax of my neighborhood. Cutting down the woodlands to make room for McMansions so two people and a small dog never have to lay eyes on each other is a favorite soapbox issue of mine. We now have empty (and ugly, I might add) spec houses on cleared lots that aren't selling due to the housing crisis. In these cases the woodlands were cleared so ZERO people could live there.

Not to mention (ok, don't mind if I do...) that replacing woodlands with impervious materials (houses, patios, driveways, tennis courts, and turf grass forces the rain water to flow onto neighboring properties that are now struggling to keep from flooding.

It makes my blood boil.

Did I mention that this is a favorite soapbox issue?

Same here, JPB. I think you are looking at the ghettos and boarding houses of the future. Single families will not be able to afford the energy to maintain such houses, nor will it be practical to commute from these country fiefdoms to distant jobs. It will be like the big Victorian homes of the past, when it became to expensive to hire the staff to clean them, and no practical way to heat and cool them, they morphed into housing for the poor or they became frat houses.

Nothing makes me crazier than when people bulldoze woodland undergrowth and throw down grass seed. People do not understand the difference between thriving nature and a city park.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:40 am
Ever see "Over the Hedge"? It is from the perspective of the animals displaced because of this sort of building.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:41 am
OH, I also like the Sneeches" by Suess.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:46 am
Green Witch wrote:
Nothing makes me crazier than when people bulldoze woodland undergrowth and throw down grass seed. People do not understand the difference between thriving nature and a city park.

I should introduce you to the new family next door. They want a yard. I've no idea why, just because they want a yard I guess. They spent weeks last summer raking out the ground plane and pulling out the understory. They burned every leaf that fell throughout the fall (daily burns that generally force us to close every window). They've marked dozens of young trees to take out so that their newly planted turf grass will get the sun it needs to grow. This is in the middle of a healthy hickory-oak woodland.

I continue to remind myself that it could have been worse. They could have taken down the house and replaced it with something with turrets. The moat is already in place.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:55 am
Sadly, I talk to such people almost everyday, JPB. We refer to the behavior as "cleaning the woods". People are mostly exposed to nature in parks, and thus they think all nature should look like a park. Undergrowth is scary to people like this. They think a snake or rabid squirrel might be hiding in the thicket. These same people often brag about what a great job they did getting rid of "the mess" and will then ask me things like "do you ever see any painted turtles in this area? I was told rare painted turtles inhabit this part of the county. I then have to explain to them why they will never see a painted turtle in their "yard" and how they probably bulldozed or herbicided a couple of them in their quest for a "safe", "clean" environment for their children to play. They never really get it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 07:24 am
Quote:
"Mister!" he said with a sawdusty sneeze,
"I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees.
I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
And I'm asking you, sir, at the top of my lungs" -
he was very upset as he shouted and puffed-
"What's that THING you've made out of my Truffula tuft?"

- The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

"I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees.
I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees
which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.
But I'm also in charge of the Brown Bar-ba-loots
who played in the shade in their Bar-ba-loot suits
and happily lived, eating Truffula Fruits."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 07:41 am
farmerman wrote:

This is close to child abuse.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 07:44 am
The Zax (which happens to be in the same book as the Sneetches) is my personal favorite... probably because I relate so well to the main characters.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:27 am
The Lorax is a classic.

And though it's not a book, some of you Lorax fans may really enjoy the new Pixar film, Wall-E. Incredible. Similarly post-apocalyptic, but without cynicism. There's no dialogue for the first-half of the film, and no exposition. What I'm getting at is as much a film for adults as it is for kids.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:35 am
Suess is an introduction via phonics. My kids started reading real stuff quite early. Im not bragging, just thankful I didnt have to have that crap stuck in my head like some nonsense ear worm..
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:48 am
farmerman wrote:
Suess is an introduction via phonics. My kids started reading real stuff quite early. Im not bragging, just thankful I didnt have to have that crap stuck in my head like some nonsense ear worm..

Is he really? That never occurred to me, but I guess it makes sense.

My mother was an elementary school teacher and taught me to read at a very early age. It wasn't until I was 11 or 12 that I began to appreciate Seuss, particularly for metaphors, story, and of course the art. It's unfortunate that, by about that age, too much that is imaginative is cast aside as nonsensical kid stuff.
0 Replies