Commas and quote marks

Tarah

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 03:21 pm
Please, can you tell me which version is correct? I think it's the middle one but the more I look at it, the less convinced I am.

"Peter wants to buy a dog" said Fred.
"Peter wants to buy a dog," said Fred.
"Peter wants to buy a dog", said Fred.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 623 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 03:23 pm
In American English, it's the middle one. But I seem to remember that British English has different rules for this situation.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:10 pm
Yep, the middle one is AmE. I think that's the way British English would put this particular sentence also. The rules go something like this:

American: put all the punctuation inside the quotation marks whether it belongs to the quotation or to the full sentence. Examples: Mary said, "We went to the circus." It was a "media circus."

British: put the punctuation inside if it belongs to the quote, outside if it belongs to the sentence: Mary said, "We went to the circus." It was a "media circus".

There are other exceptions, but that's the way I understand it.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:08 am
Thanks so much. That's the way I was taught but I wanted to double-check - and this is always the best place to do so. Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:18 am
I'd plump for the last one.
0 Replies