• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 873 • Replies: 10
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:42 am
Osso
Osso, I wouldn't think Obama was very smart if he just wanted to be a movement guru. He's running his campaign to win.

BBB
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:53 am
Re: Packer on Obama's Iraq Problem
ossobuco wrote:

In other words, all the talk of withdrawal is just to get elected. He'll not be held to it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:59 am
BBB, one could say that, or one could think he was trying to do the smart thing re Iraq, or some combo. Personally I think he might lose some adamant 'get out of there this minute' voters for every undecided he picks up by moving from his campaign stated plan.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:00 pm
Hey, I didn't say that, Packer did, Real Life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:28 pm
Obama himself said he has not backed off from a timetable to pull out. He may have to move a lttle quicker or a little slower, but I believe him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:41 pm
As edgar indicates, Obama DID basically say this:

Quote:

I'm here for a minute, will have to find the quote I'm thinking of later.

One I'm sure of, that he's said repeatedly, is that we have to be as careful getting out as we were careless getting in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:42 pm
On second thought, while that piece was dated July 7th, it was written well before that (I read it last Thursday, when I got my July 7th issue), and there is no mention of the "refinement" brouhaha -- so presumably that whole thing is exactly what Packer was asking for (though, again, the annoyance is that Obama hasn't actually been as simplistic as Packer indicates).
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:43 pm
I believe that Obama feels the Iraq war is draining US resources critically needed elsewhere, be that at home or in Afganistan. I believe he will start drawing down troops while consulting with the Iraqi government. He will not go fast enough for my tastes. He will go much, much faster than McCain and not push for a significant, permanent military presence in the area. Nothing that has come out in the primary campaign or recently has made me feel my impression is incorrect. I fully expect Obama to consult with the best minds available and make informed decisions, not only on Iraq, but on all issues. Of course, I expect that of all Presidents and often they disappoint me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:48 pm
The Iraq govt is pressing for a withdrawal timetable right now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 02:02 pm
Thanks, everyone so far. My own take is that expressed by engineer..

I'm chary of more and more morass with a too slow withdrawal orchestration. I do not assume all components of a settled Iraq to be in and maintain some copasetic balancing act, but I can also see fine tuning some earlier stated plan. I admit to some "what is he going to say that I disagree with next" emotion and my first reaction on this refining business was 'oh, no..".
0 Replies