Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 10:52 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,778 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:38 pm
What is ridiculous about the "don't ask, don't tell" approach is that many gays in the closet do not realize how many people know they are gay anyway. And, when it comes to gay males, many women know instantaneously, as soon as they look into the guys eyes, and see either interest, or no interest.

The paranoia about gayness in the military goes back to the belief that they may be easy targets for blackmail by enemy agents, and therefore can be pursuaded to do things in behalf of an enemy agent. This goes back to the days of rampant homophobia as part of the culture.

I would guess that the day will come when gayness will be deduced from brain scans, or other means, so that all recruits will be identified as gay or straight. Then there will be nothing to worry about, as far as blackmail. That is though if only gays willing to be "out" are allowed to enlist. In effect, no closeted gays would be allowed. And naturally, all straights will then have to accept gays in the military and the possible complementary excessive conversation. Just my musings/opinion.

But, this meandering news item has no point, unless it is given by the poster. It is like old news?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:22 pm
Foofie wrote:
] And, when it comes to gay males, many women know instantaneously, as soon as they look into the guys eyes, and see either interest, or no interest.

Pshaw!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:56 pm
Not exactly surprising news. There were plenty of gays/lesbians in the military during my years in and most people knew and nobody really seemed to care one way or the other.

I only know of one lesbian couple that got into any trouble and that was only because it was a commanding officer and one of her subordinates - something that a hetro couple would find themselves in equeal trouble for.

Don't ask/Don't tell is a waste of time...
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:39 pm
I was in the Army long before the 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy was in force.

During my time in, when a soldier was found to be gay, they were immediately discharged. We had one guy who 'came out' in front of our Captain one morning and by the end of the day, he and his stuff were gone from the barracks.

The funny part is, many of us in the unit knew, but didn't give a crap. We didn't 'out' him or the other two guys and one woman in the unit that we also knew about. There were folks in the unit that we wouldn't have told, because they were very 'knee jerk' kind of people who would have made trouble.

Frankly, there were a bunch of lazy ass straight soldiers I'd have rather seen get the boot than the guy they got rid of. (He ALWAYS pulled his weight, was a team player and squared away.)

I know there are many soldiers who have a problem with gays in the military, but you have to remember that socially, the military is about 20 years behind the rest of the country. There is a level of conservative (Small 'c') inertia that must be overcome before changes are implemented in the military.

Just my 2 cents. (Pre tax.)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 07:50 am
Hey, Fedral, long time no see. Where ya' been keepin' yourself?

Foofie wrote:
What is ridiculous about the "don't ask, don't tell" approach is that many gays in the closet do not realize how many people know they are gay anyway. And, when it comes to gay males, many women know instantaneously, as soon as they look into the guys eyes, and see either interest, or no interest.

Yeah, I meet lots of lesbians that way too.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:25 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

Hello Joe! How has life been treating you my friend Very Happy

Life has been using me for its personal punching bag.

1) The company I worked for went 'belly up' with no warning and I found myself without a job VERY unexpectedly.

2) My computer went 'belly up'. (Also without any warning.)

3) The economy here in Central Florida being what it is, I've had no success in getting a job for several months.

4) No money coming in means no new computer for Fedral. (I'm using a borrowed computer at the moment.)

5) Other than that, things are going GREAT! Rolling Eyes

Hope you and yours are doing well in the Windy City. Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 07:55 pm
Fedral wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Hello Joe! How has life been treating you my friend Very Happy

Life has been using me for its personal punching bag.

1) The company I worked for went 'belly up' with no warning and I found myself without a job VERY unexpectedly.

2) My computer went 'belly up'. (Also without any warning.)

3) The economy here in Central Florida being what it is, I've had no success in getting a job for several months.

4) No money coming in means no new computer for Fedral. (I'm using a borrowed computer at the moment.)

5) Other than that, things are going GREAT! Rolling Eyes

I am genuinely sorry to hear that. In fact, I am tempted to say "I feel your pain." But I shall forbear.

Fedral wrote:
Hope you and yours are doing well in the Windy City. Very Happy

Tol'able well, thank you kindly.
0 Replies