idknow

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:00 pm
i just dont understand what the point of life is. i have a girlfriend but im only happy when im around her. after she leaves and days afterwards i feel empty and alone like theres no point in life. by the way im a teenager in highschool and cant drive yet. i dont know how to pass my time and im never happy i feel that im depressed but dont know what to do about it. i just dont see a point to life and cant find anything that interests me or makes me happy in life. the only time i am happy is when im with my friends or girlfriend. but as soon as they leave i feel alone and depressed. i dont know what to do anymore can someone please help me out
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 655 • Replies: 4
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:20 pm
Hey, I think you are not alone in feeling those feelings. I've been through moments similar. However, life is a big learning experience. You learn how to cope with difficult situations which in turn do make you a stronger person.

You really can't allow other people to be responsible for your happiness. Of course you feel good feelings when you're with your girlfriend or friends, but you need to find the things that make you happy as an individual. Maybe you can set some goals. Are you athletic, artistic, a reader??

What part of the world do you live in?
0 Replies

idknow

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:24 pm
well im kind of althletic like i play sports and all but it wont continue past highschool. im smart but im not really interested in school so im still trying to find passion in my life

i live in the pa, nj district if that makes sense
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:31 pm
I hope you can relate to what I'm saying to you. There appears to be an age gap. But here's my story...I was married for 16 years with two early teens. My husband who I considered my best friend and life partner left me with no warning. He even talked with a lawyer before telling me he was unhappy. I went through a terrible depression. I was lower than I ever thought was possible to ever feel.

I finally picked myself up and restructered my life. Now I find myself doing things that I regret not doing at a younger age but I have set goals for myself and I'm doing them. I'm in better shape than when I was 20 and I'm generally a happy person. I now know that I don't need my ex in order to survive.

Is there a sport or activity that you've always wanted to try but haven't yet? Are there any clubs or organizations that you could join to learn these activities and get to know other people who enjoy the same things?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 03:51 am
idknow wrote:
well im kind of althletic like i play sports and all but it wont continue past highschool. im smart but im not really interested in school so im still trying to find passion in my life

i live in the pa, nj district if that makes sense

Why won't it continue past High School? Unless you're talking about playing varsity football or semi-pro there are lots and lots and lots of things that you can do.

I spent some formative years in King of Prussia and also went to Law School in Wilmington so I know your area fairly well. One of the problems you've got right now is that you're stuck in suburbia. But that'll start to change once you get a license. Personally, I can't stand suburbia and once I could, I not only went to college and Law School in cities but moved to one as soon as I could. I live in Boston now (have for 13 plus years) and the difference in my life and attitude is striking. I would never, ever go back to living in suburbia. You absolutely could NOT pay me enough.

But enough about me. I think one of the things you need is to cultivate some interests. Sports are all well and good but there are other things in life. How about art? As in, painting or drawing or writing? You need not be any good at any of these things, just enjoy doing them. What about things like reading for pleasure, photography, making or listening to music, becoming politically active or doing volunteer work? While I understand that it's fun and good to be with your friends or girlfriend, surely you all need to talk about something other than school. There's also the ever-popular getting a job. Even if you can't commute there easily, you may be able to work something out with a parent or a coworker. Work would fill your time and give you spending money, plus it would give you some experience which would help whether you went to college or started working out of High School.

BTW, you should recognize that since it's the Summer you might just be bored right now. When things are hopping and you're busy, do you feel the same way? If you do, one thing you might want to consider is getting a little professional help. It need not be drug therapy or anything of the sort, just someone to talk to. Lots and lots and lots of teens have angst, and they really do feel better as time goes by. Not a lot of consolation right now but the expression this too shall pass may be more appropriate than you think. Hang in there.
0 Replies