US planned nerve gas tests on Australian soldiers

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:15 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
dlowan wrote:

nah.

I allow myself to sink to your level sometimes.

Did that one work for you in the eighth grade?

I hadn't met folk like you in the eighth grade.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:40 pm
dlowan wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
dlowan wrote:

nah.

I allow myself to sink to your level sometimes.

Did that one work for you in the eighth grade?

I hadn't met folk like you in the eighth grade.

More's the pity. You might have turned out better.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:15 am

All of these are the same article from a news-wire post. Has anyone in the government responded to the original article?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:34 am
I'll keep an open mind on the issue, but there are several flags in the article that concern me.

- It targets US historical figures not highly thought of like McNamara and Nixon.
- It's sufficiently far in the past that many people aren't around to put the documents in context.
- It involves the US asking a foreign country to sacrifice their people in a callus manner instead of the US sacrificing its own. The upstanding folks in the foriegn country resist such evil pressure.
- It was planned because is secrecy "because the weapons were illegal under international law".

All these are traits of an Internet hoax. Each one on the very edge of believability. Every one knows Nixon was a crook and McNamara was the boogey man of Vietnam, a war that impacted the Aussies pretty hard. Everyone knows the US treats its allies like dirt. Everyone knows the US ignores international law. This must be true!

That said, Nixon and McNamara got their reputations for a reason, so if the diligent press down under can verify some of this, I'll have to shake my head and put down another black mark for Nixon, but for now, I maintain some skepticism. Please post links to any real journalism (as opposed to recycled stuff) that comes out on this. I disagree that the article should not have been posted on the politics forum, but for a different reason. US policies have been driving rifts between the US and its traditional allies. If this is a hoax or a gross distortion of something less sinister, it is an indication of how sour the US-Aussie relationship has become. That is worth discussing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:55 pm
engineer wrote:
I'll keep an open mind on the issue, but there are several flags in the article that concern me.

- It targets US historical figures not highly thought of like McNamara and Nixon.
- It's sufficiently far in the past that many people aren't around to put the documents in context.
- It involves the US asking a foreign country to sacrifice their people in a callus manner instead of the US sacrificing its own. The upstanding folks in the foriegn country resist such evil pressure.
- It was planned because is secrecy "because the weapons were illegal under international law".

All these are traits of an Internet hoax. Each one on the very edge of believability. Every one knows Nixon was a crook and McNamara was the boogey man of Vietnam, a war that impacted the Aussies pretty hard. Everyone knows the US treats its allies like dirt. Everyone knows the US ignores international law. This must be true!

That said, Nixon and McNamara got their reputations for a reason, so if the diligent press down under can verify some of this, I'll have to shake my head and put down another black mark for Nixon, but for now, I maintain some skepticism. Please post links to any real journalism (as opposed to recycled stuff) that comes out on this. I disagree that the article should not have been posted on the politics forum, but for a different reason. US policies have been driving rifts between the US and its traditional allies. If this is a hoax or a gross distortion of something less sinister, it is an indication of how sour the US-Aussie relationship has become. That is worth discussing.

I agree with much of what you write but wasn't McNamara LBJ's Sec of Defense? How does Nixon enter the picture, except that it's a safe bet to associate him with American misdeeds.

As well, simply because this article was published doesn't prove that the US/OZ relationship is in shambles. Now if there is evidence that a majority of Aussies believe the worst of this story, you may be right.

The worst of this story and, the worst of the low way it is being spread through the Web, is the suggestion that the US wanted to test these chemicals on Australian soldiers. If you watch the linked video you will realize that no one is actually suggesting that is the case. An argument can be made that, if this a true account, the US was ignorant and callous in asking for Aussie soldiers to enter the rain forest after spraying to determine the effects of the chemicals, but there's no reason to believe the govt at that time would not have required US soldiers to do so too. The notion that the US wanted exposed Aussie soldiers to be in the area at the time of the spraying is fabricated.

Watch the video. A fairly pissed off Aussie scientist complains that the chemicals were so potent that if there was a hole in the Aussie soldiers' Haz Mat suits they could have been killed. Clearly this implies that even he doesn't believe that the US wanted to use Diggers as lab rats.

In addition, the thrust of the video's point is that the local environment, not Aussie soldiers would have been harmed.

Might the US government have had in 1963 a cavalier attitude about the long term impact on an Australian rain forest? Sure, but them what government during that time was particularly Eco-concious?

Is there any evidence that the US govt in 1963 wanted to test nerve gas on Australian soldiers? Absolutely not.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:22 pm
"Is there any evidence that the US govt in 1963 wanted to test nerve gas on Australian soldiers? Absolutely not."

Finn, you seem to believe that saying the same things over & over makes your opinion the truth. Nice try, but I'm not buying. :wink:

The information contained in these documents was released by the Australian government. By the Defense Minister & the Prime Minister's offices. In Australia, as in the US (& many other countries), "sensitive" classified material is eventually declassified & made available to the public.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classified_information#United_States

But I'm sure you already know that.

You may not like the information revealed in these documents, but do you have reason to doubt that documents are genuine? Do you think, perhaps that the Australian government just made them up? That we're all being lied to about this?

You may also not like the reaction to this information in the Australian media - perhaps finding some of the coverage rather "emotional". But that still does not make the information untrue.
(I wonder what the US reaction would be (even 40 years later) to a proposal to use your troops in some sort of chemical testing program by another country? I don't imagine you'd be too impressed.)

BTW, this is not the first we've heard of this issue. In 2006 Senator Lyn Allison raised it in the Australian Senate, during question time. I haven't the time now, but if you'd like, I will find the actual records & post them here later. She has once again called for the release of all relevant information related to this episode.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/06/2295601.htm?site=local

It comes as no surprise to many of us that the US would actually have proposed such tests in Australia . The prime minister of the time (Harold Holt) remains (in)famous for his very embarrassing "All the way with LBJ" comment (referring to Australia's willingness to follow the US to war in Vietnam). Actually, it's much more surprising that he actually denied Lyndon anything! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHLLwopaRQk
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:35 pm
I don't know why this story is hard to believe. It is easy enough to find articles on the net about the US govt conducting radiation experiments on its own citizens. It has been some years since I read any of them, but they are at least some still out there.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:39 pm
It is "hard to believe" for some, edgar, because they choose not to believe it. Another of those "inconvenient truths, I guess ....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 03:16 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't know why this story is hard to believe. It is easy enough to find articles on the net about the US govt conducting radiation experiments on its own citizens. It has been some years since I read any of them, but they are at least some still out there.

It is also easy to find articals on the net about The US governmnet testing chemical weapons on their own and enemy armed services personell.

A CNN report on operation Tailwind. (subsequently withdrawn By CNN management). (read whitewashed under preasure from Gov sources.)
http://www.wsws.org/news/1998/july1998/cnn-j24.shtml

United States Admits Tests On Sailors Navy Sprayed Biological,
Chemical Agents Over Ships 30 Years Ago
By Mark Pazniokas and Dennis Williams, Hartford Courant
http://www.testsubjects.net/amilitarysecretnolonger.htm

Whether these reportsd are true or not I can only guess. (if its on the net it MUST be true).
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:24 am
Dadpad
Don't you know its disloyal to attack the U.S. military. It makes the various administrations look bad. It also makes the various news organizations look like they cater to the government instead of informing the public.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:27 am
rabel22 wrote:
Dadpad
Don't you know its disloyal to attack the U.S. military.

Over sexed, over paid, and over here. Used to be a catch cry for Australians during world war two.
0 Replies