What to Teach Your Teenager BEFORE They Enter the World

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:23 am
jesus christ, a2k you did a better job of raising me from reading this thread than my parents did in 19 years.

thats sad.

wow, im feeling sort of depressed, i really think i should join the military.

i guess thats what u do when your poor..

hrmm, i already missed so much in life, now imight miss another 4 years..

**** i need a job. i just need to find a job..my favorite post here was

"life isnt fair"

true that, sometimes you have to cheat to win.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:38 am
squinney wrote:
"Don't loan money to anyone"

"Give what you can spare as a gift."

That is SO the conflicting views they've been presnted all of their lives. I don't loan and Bear doesn't gift. We were raised under different circumstances entirely, so I get the differences in views. Just funny to see them follow each other here.

not 100% accurate... I gift... but my attitude with my cubs is don't ask for my help if you're not helping yourself. I have, because of my business... providing my cubs with MANY opportunities to earn.... then it's up to them.

squinney is a bigger giver though, and therefore gets herself taken advantage of more than I, IMO.

We were raised completely differently, under very different social and economic standards. that's for damn sure, and it reflects in our parenting styles.

time will tell how our different styles of parenting will show up in our cubs.... but they are good cubs and know they are loved by both of us. I think they will do well in the end because of that love... it is a constant in an inconstant world.

In the end, the only thing you can really give your cubs that will stick is love and then hope for the best.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:39 am
weird, i sorta think by my parents not helping me i learned more..

maybe...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:42 am
what about safe sex? std's?

drugs?

overdosing,addiction, more std's..
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:46 am
what about them?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:51 am
jut information.

weed is a crutch if you do it to escape reality , almost addictive.
especially if it is easy to come by or always around

if you do coke there is a "comedown"
dont buy alot or you will feel this huge urge to do it all at once.(i did an eightball my first time, i was disabled for about 4 hours and felt like i was going to die, i never heard of a come down b4)

heroin is gross. never do it

pills are really easy to overdose on, all of them.

ecstasy make you depressed if you take it regularly
it causes sever brain damage.

never do meth, ever.

alcohol is probablly the drug most people are addicted to.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:54 am
OGIONIK wrote:
jut information.

weed is a crutch if you do it to escape reality , almost addictive.
especially if it is easy to come by or always around

if you do coke there is a "comedown"
dont buy alot or you will feel this huge urge to do it all at once.(i did an eightball my first time, i was disabled for about 4 hours and felt like i was going to die, i never heard of a come down b4)

heroin is gross. never do it

pills are really easy to overdose on, all of them.

ecstasy make you depressed if you take it regularly
it causes sever brain damage.

never do meth, ever.

alcohol is probablly the drug most people are addicted to.

what I taught my cubs is that their schoolmates would go to any lengths to pay for that stuff if they supplied a quality product and that as minors they wouldn't go to jail.

That worked great and my cubs were very popular at school. Now that's good parenting.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
seriously, highschool is a frickin gold mine.

funny, the latinos i kick it with refer to the white kids as "emos"

seriously, the emo kids are the ones buying ecstasy and coke, when they get older heroin.

the hispanics usually do meth or weed. mainly weed.

crazy crazy world...

oddly enough, black people usually only sell drugs, not doing them , sorta against some of the sterotypes out there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 10:25 am
squinney wrote:
"Don't loan money to anyone"

"Give what you can spare as a gift."

That is SO the conflicting views they've been presnted all of their lives. I don't loan and Bear doesn't gift. We were raised under different circumstances entirely, so I get the differences in views. Just funny to see them follow each other here.

It was dadpad's post that hit me the wrong way and twigged me to make my counter post. I don't think the two sentiments necessarily conflict, I just thought the first one was incomplete. Making loans (particularly loans of money) is a surefire way of ruining a friendship. Giving gifts (even if those gifts are opportunities) without expectation of any return leaves both parties free from any burden of repayment. Gifts come from the heart and, agreeing with bear, there are more ways to give gifts than financially. I don't like to make loans either - financial or otherwise. It puts an expectation of return to repay a debt. My preference is that kids are taught to give what they can spare, be it money, time, used books or clothing, or any number of other things simply because there are those who can benefit from whatever they no longer need or have in excess.

I've explained here previously that the only thing anyone ever gave me was a strong moral code and an opportunity to succeed. It was 100% up to me whether to run with that opportunity or walk away from it. I chose to run with it and have been blessed in many ways since. My gift of choice is the same one - provide support in helping someone succeed on their own. There are numerous ways to define success. My own definition is to leave the world a better place (in whatever small way you choose to make a difference) than it was before you came. Others have different definitions which generally revolve around income, status, career, or a combination of any of those. Some of those definitions bother me a great deal since they tend to focus on the self rather than those around us.

Different people have different things they can give. Some have time but no money, others have money but no time, some have both, some have neither. Individuals have different things they can give at different times in their lives. It doesn't matter what it is, but giving what you can spare as a gift with no expectation of a return is central to everything I believe in.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:04 am
Here's a good one learned last night...

When you say you are going to spend the night at a friends, and that doesn't work out so you come home at one in the morning, just tap at the door and let your Mom know it is YOU that just came in the house.

(Christ, Kid!!! Be glad I'm not cj!)
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:34 am
@squinney,
I jumped up immediately to investigate and the thought struck me after that if it had been an armed burglar we'd have been **** out of luck because I didn't take anything with me...just my bad self.. Laughing
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 04:20 am
@Chai,
I do that!! I thought I was the only one.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:06 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

3. Stick up for one another. Do not let anyone come into their home (girlfriends and boyfriends) and tear them apart. As long as they live together, present a united front to the world.

Restated:

Never take sides with anyone against the family. Ever

Michael Corleone
eoe

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:58 am
@roger,
Very Happy
0 Replies