What to Teach Your Teenager BEFORE They Enter the World

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 07:51 am
Daughter turned 18 a year and a half ago. She moved out this past November.

Son has now moved out, but (Thank goodness!) chose to share an apartment with his sister. Whew! I'm a bit thankful for that since I know daughter will still somewhat "mother" him. She always has and probably always will and thankfully he doesn't resent it so it all works out well.

So, now I'm figuring out that there are a few things I failed to teach them. (My bad, as they would say, but hey, there was a lot of ground to cover.)

1. The city buses do not run on Federal Holidays. Make other plans for getting to work.

2. Always put clean shelf paper down when you move into an aparatment. You don't know who lived there before and things can "live" in the wood.

3. Air conditioners have filters that have to be changed on a regular basis. "Regular" is not every 6 months. This is where the size is indicated and this is how it goes in... see. It just slides right in like that.

Please feel free to add to the list so parents of younger kids can learn from our mistakes. I'm sure that since it has only been a couple of days, I will have plenty more to add as they discover more about the real world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,122 • Replies: 73
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 08:13 am
I'm listening in!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 08:56 am
You can insulate your windows for 2 dollars and save on your electric bill.

Changing your car oil yourself is simple and will save you money.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:01 am
Okay on the first one, shewolf, but with all of the pieces and parts of flashlights and other gadgets that I have laying around the house, I do NOT want Cub lifting the hood of a car. Shocked
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:02 am
you dont have to

you go underneath Wink
heheheheh
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:03 am
dont fry bacon naked
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:19 am
BBB
Clean out your refrigerator at least once each year whether it needs it or not.

Clean the lint filter in the drier at least once a year or you will burn the house down.

The TV is not wearing out; you have to remove the static dust accumulated on the screen. Then you can watch "lost" and realize they aren't really lost, they are just dust-impaired.

BBB
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:44 am
Teach them how to change a tire. Even if the lug nuts are stuck. My sister-in-law still did not know how to do this after graduating college.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:45 am
And she was pissed when asked if I would help her change her tire, I stood back and told her how the jack worked.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 10:17 am
Laughing I guess I won't be teaching him to change his own oil since I didn't even know it was done from below!

These are some really good ones, guys!

Drew - I woulda been pissed too. Ladies don't change tires while men watch... I'm old fashion... when it's convenient.

Just got off the phone with daughter. Here's her lesson for the day: Your brother isn't going to become a neat freak just 'cause he's paying half the rent.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 10:30 am
squinney wrote:
Drew - I woulda been pissed too. Ladies don't change tires while men watch... I'm old fashion... when it's convenient.

But a lady should be able to change her own tire. Which is why I just gave instruction that one time.

A couple of years later she thanked me, 'cause she'd have been stranded on the side of the road otherwise.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 10:55 am
Well, here's what I told 'em... you wanted to be on your own.... you're on your own. Got problems? Work 'em out. See ya for Thanksgiving dinner. I love you. Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 10:59 am
when the dog goes on the rug... clean it up NOW.... not tomorrow. And use a spot remover.

Don't miss any utility payments... they pay back your deposit at more interest than it can earn in a bank if you stay current the first year.

Don't get friendly with your new neighbors until you've observed them a bit.

Pay your renters insurance.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 11:13 am
On the changing oil theme, I went to high school with a girl who was so excited to get her first car. Months later it stopped running. Turns out she didn't realize you were supposed to change the oil periodically. So that ought to be on the list -- make sure they know it needs to be changed.

Teach them the value of a rice cooker, and how quick, easy, and cheap it is to make great rice. Also makes great oatmeal. And you can cook other things in it too. LINK
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 12:49 pm
Here's one I wish I'd had known:

Work out the roommate situation Right at the Start. Even before signing a thing or moving in, if possible.

Things like negotiating chores. Managing how the bills and money will work. What happens when one wants to bring girl/boy home or friends over?

I just watched a friend of mine get screwed on this account, and see her living situation break down due to them not talking about it and working it out before getting all involved.

And my friend is not 18. She just thought this stuff would go smooth cause the roommate was a friend - and it had worked when she and I lived together (I've lived with waaay too many people lol).

Anyhoo...good thing to learn. Fight out the little things early. Don't assume a damn thing in way of what the other guy is ok with.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 01:28 pm
dont sleep with your neighbors

or your friends

or your boss
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 03:19 pm
Remember, your roommate is neither your slave nor your maid.

Do not let leftovers fester in the fridge. The microwave is a marvelous invention.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 03:39 pm
Always have good blinds on your windows
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 04:47 pm
Always wear clean underwear.

Turn the other cheek.

Always get three estimates before hiring somebody.

Check out SKYPE - it's basically free!!!!!!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 05:29 pm
Your credit rating is very important.

It takes a short time to screw it up, and a long time to fix it.
0 Replies