permit or licence???

hao

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 06:47 am
What is the difference between the nouns of permit and licence, esp. when they appear in the same provision of a contract?

Does anyone know the conrresponding Chinese translaiton of the two words?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 638 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 12:51 pm
You will have to provide the sentences containing these words for us to help you.

Your question is just to vague to answer.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 01:09 pm
sullyfish6 wrote:
Your question is just to vague to answer.

Did you mean "too vague?"
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 07:50 pm
It seems to me that "permit" indicates more of a temporary nature where "licence" denotes an ongoing or permenant situation.
0 Replies

hao

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 12:48 am
"...he/she possesses the professional qualifications, licenses, and/or permits necessary to perform the job duties set out in this Contract "

Is this clear enough?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 05:25 am
In the context of the sentence given, a license covers a specific range of skills that the person has demonstrated/proven they posses. For example, an electrician or plumber is licensed by the state to perform those tasks.

A permit, on the other hand, is permission to apply those skills to a specific site/job. Typically, if you want to add new electric or plumbing systems to an existing house/structure you need to obtain a building permit from the local town. The permit is a way of notifying the town of work being done and ensuring it mets applicable building safety regulations. (It's also a way for the town to track building improvements which usually effect the property owner's tax bill!)

If I wanted to add a new bathroom to my house I'd sign a contract with a licensed plumber and get the building permits needed.

But generally, a license is issued to a person. A permit is issued for a task. Often, the two are used together so you'd have a licensed person performing a permitted task.
0 Replies

hao

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 05:30 am
Thanks, fishin, very good explanation.

Now I'm sure of the Chinese translation of each word.
0 Replies